Thread: meetlinux.com -- we have the domain, it's set up, we just need to publish

Beans

meetlinux.com -- we have the domain, it's set up, we just need to publish

So what do we want here. do we want a joomla? anyone here have time to do some web development? I know Andrew was interested with helping on content but is there anyone interested with helping on aesthetics? If no one is interested in making the site look good and we're all content oriented, I'll just download a Joomla template and we can just use that. I'm going to set it up so that wiki.meetlinux.com redirects to our ubuntu wiki page. Everyone thank ACE Technology Group for giving us the domain and hosting.
    ---THANKS CHRIS.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: meetlinux.com -- we have the domain, it's set up, we just need to publish

Yes, thanks Chris!!!! I definitely see no problem with plastering Hosted by ACE Technology Group all over it!

Is this box powered by Ubuntu? If so that would be very nice putting a Powered by Ubuntu announcement at the bottom of the pages.

Thanks again Chris and thanks Iamalex for securing this for us!
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans

the box IS powered by Ubuntu, installed and configured by yours truly, so when it crashes I'm to blame. We're about 85% Ubuntu and 15% debian

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

so... 100% Debian and 85% Ubuntu-- sounds good.

Beans

oh man I hope no Debian elitist see this post. you'll be boiled alive!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I vote for finding a nice Joomla template - perhaps something with a lot of browns for the whole Ubuntu feel. I could help tweaking it into something we're happy with, but I'm no designer - I can barely match my clothes in the morning.

Do many of us have blogs? I love having Planets on LoCo team sites, gives a very personal glimpse into members of the group that I think is helpful.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans

Liz if you're familiar with joomla we'd love to have you help out. I'm trying to understand the way things are organized and merged into single pages vs. just having and editor for each page it seems to combine multiple into one. Let me know if you want an account I'd be happy to get you up with one.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The site is live!

As you may have noticed we ended up going with WordPress. I thought Joomla was a bit overkill as far as giant CMS for our basic needs. Plus I'm very familiar with WordPress as I run a few sites with it. As such, we didn't end up going with a theme we voted on, oh well. I tweaked the theme on the site now and I am pretty happy with it.

Comments? Suggestions? Additions? I think I got all our links in there. We'll need more content, and that's what we'll be filling in over the next week or so.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com