Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

I just discovered this part of the forums! Awesome! Greetings from the 11th floor of the Boeing Building!

Beans

I am from Illinois as well, central though, bout 3 hours from Chicago. Have never met another Ubuntu user here but I am sure there must be another lurking around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Im Matt, live 5 blocks from Wrigley on the north side of Chicago (Go White Sox! and Packers) and grew up in Crystal lake, and started learning about linux when I honestly kept having one too many blue screens of death on my xp box.

I remember never actually enjoying it, it was a pain in the butt with the reinstalls and such..To me, computing is fun again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Although I am currently NOT running Linux, I will be soon.
    My first taste of freedom came when a friend convinced me to check it out. My interest grew quickly. I downloaded maybe a dozen different distros and tried them dual booting with Windows on my laptop.
    All went fine and fun, until one day, thinking that I had made a copy of my files on a CD--turned out later that I had, but I'd misplaced the disk--I accidentally pressed the wrong 'yes' button while installing--my home windows were being replaced, and I was on the phone (multi-tasking and installing is a bad idea!). By the time I realized what I had done, Windows was gone.
    Ubuntu became my distro at first only because it worked with my laptop (Inspiron 6000) wi fi.
    Time passed, i found the lost disk with all of the papers I had written, all my files, my books that I had written (no great loss there, but the academic papers would have been quite damaging). I was happy. I pulled an old desktop out of the basement, wiped it, used it to drive my printer. Freedom was precious, but still I asked Dell for my copy of Windows XP, and reinstalled. I was dual-booting, 90% living the Ubuntu life, but occasionally, for work, to print, to connect to some networks, I returned to Windows.
    Then I decided to go to gradschool for English. I determined that Ubuntu had to go. This 'hobby' could not become a liability. I might find myself unable to be compatible to other networks, or might run into some problem and have no quick solution and lose data or miss a deadline... So I wiped both computers and put fresh installations on each, the original XP home for the lappy and XP pro for the nearly 10 year old desktop.
    Now, a semester into my program. A year after my return to the darkside, I feel complete indifference towards my computers and OS. With Ubuntu Linux, I could easily and freely adapt and change my GUI to suit my mood with near infinite variations. My laptop, the work horse, was mine. Now I use my computers more than I ever have before, always feeling alienated from the work space.
    I realized over the holiday break that I had to make a change.
    So I have ordered an external hard drive for easy backup and storage. In the coming weeks I will return to my computing home and breath the free air once more.
    Last edited by nealklomp; January 31st, 2008 at 08:45 AM.
    All us non-programer types need to take a second and admire how very good Ubuntu performs. All you programer types need to know that you rock and get back to writing code and stop surfing, unless you are looking for problems to fix.

Beans

I'm a 42 yr old father of 2. Work as a mechanical technician at a small company which means I do everything, Designing - Programming - Machining - Customer Support - Field Service - I even fix the toilets!
    Got into Linux just because I like to learn new things. I love how far Ubuntu has progressed! I am still learning. I sometimes wish that documentation was better for applications such as the Gimp. But other than that I am a Linux fan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello everyone. I'm very new to linux (I just installed Ubuntu onto my desktop last week). I've been interested in Linux for a little while because, like the last guy, I like to try new things and I've finally taken the plunge. I have to say that I like what I see so far and can't wait to get in even deeper. One of the things that I love so much about Ubuntu is this community that it has behind it. I suppose that could be said about Linux in general, but the Ubuntu one seems to be particularly nice.

As for me, I'm originally from Brookfield, just west of Chicago (we have the zoo) but I spend most of my time in Champaign/Urbana while I go to school at UIUC.

You'll probably find me lurking around the IRC channel under the name eiki from time to time.
    Last edited by odduck; March 24th, 2008 at 08:03 AM. Reason: added my nickname on IRC

Beans
    Hidden!

Wow, I can't believe I haven't posted in this thread before. Well, for everyone in Illinois I haven't met, I'll go ahead and introduce myself

My name's Steve, and I'm a student from the NW Chicago suburbs. You can find me as 'swoody' anywhere online. I have been using Ubuntu for about a year and a half, and have fallen in love with the OS and the community. I have never in my life experienced a community as friendly and willing to help as the people who are involved with Ubuntu.

I have recently become active with the Chicago Loco, and had a great time at the 2009 Global Jam. I'm really looking forward to participating in more Loco events, and hope to see the IL and Chicago groups grow and prosper
    Last edited by swoody; October 22nd, 2009 at 11:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Hey everyone, I'm Draycen DeCator (aka Dray) and I'm currently an undergrad student at DePaul University. I'm working on getting my BA in Psychology and then I will continue on to get my PhD. I spend a lot of time volunteering around campus with Circle K (part of Kiwanis, not the gas station), and hanging out with friends when there is time.

I started using Ubuntu in the late days of Intrepid and became hooked very quickly. Now, I am working on getting more involved. This involvement includes bug triaging, mentoring new triagers, some packaging for the Ubuntu Mozilla Team, and now offering support for Ubuntu+1 users and beginners.

If you want to contact me for any reason, you're more than welcome to!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No college student here, or IT tech. I'm Bren, a 54 yr old grandma. I've been dabbling with Linux since around 2000, but I was never a fan of Ubuntu until I tried the 9.10 and now 10.4 beta 2.
    I'd say I use it 99% of the time, and only go to Windows to print coupons, play Yahoo downloaded games, or edit an image in PhotoImpact.
    I build my own computers, and have built around 20 towers over the last 10 years.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello everyone

Were from Morris Il

I have been here a while not but I never really got to this page until now. About 3 years ago I changed one of our systems over to Linux, just wondering what was it like. Even thought my better half wasn't too excited about it, I did it any way. She always said I don't listen very well (why start now). From the first load I was shocked - my video drive, wireless card, sound, Ubuntu found everything and I didn't have to do anything more than install the CD. That was a first for me! The more I used it the more I loved it.

A few months after, my wife started a vinyl business, decals - signs - store fronts - t-shirts .... with my brothers help he has done it for years before her and I thought he know what he was doing. He loaded a bunch of software on her computer(still windows) both for designing and cutting vinyl. Well little did I know EVERYTHING he loaded was pirated and yep virus city ad ware it was BAD. It was left to me to clean everything up. At this point she was up and running, down time was a problem. Knowing what little I knew about Linux I was able to start to run a few things in a virtual terminal. It was ok really wasn't the solution. I spent weeks and weeks trying to bring her cutting software over to Linux and no one has been and to do it stable and easy.

For months I looked and looked. Then I came across a guy in Nova Scotia that built a program that is used for engravers. hmmmm engravers use HPGL... vinyl cutters use HPGL... I wonder. So I sent him an email and with alot of help from him it is now an awesome program for anyone that uses engravers or vinyl cutters. I am so happy with it I put my first YouTube video out there.

So before I let her try it out I did months of testing to make sure that it is stable and it is going to do what she needs it to do. From time to time she used my computer (Linux) and she liked it, no big deal - UNTILL !!!!! I install TUX PLOT and from her first time cutting she loved it - "O MY It just works" until that point no one has been able to cut vinyl in Linux stable or had a program that will work across the board very very little to tweak - there is a few out there but there not this easy. Now she will not go back to windows ever. We're both here to stay.

Well I am rambling I will shut up now.I hope to catch up with everyone someday and say hi.
    Last edited by kmrs75; July 20th, 2010 at 12:22 PM.
    We specialize is custom work for all sports teams and any special event. we also do work for business store fronts as well as auto decals www.hometown-graphics.com http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/v...hicago%20LoCo/

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast