Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

Beans

Re: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

Good tidings, Chicago,

My name is Ryan (duh) and I live in the Calumet area. I'm attending Purdue-Cal for a computer major (haven't narrowed myself enough yet). I've been dual-booting for about a year. Started with ubuntu because a computer god named Spuds told me to, and because XP was having crash problems. It still does. >.< Completely randomly the computer power resets. I've given up on trying, mainly because my machine is 6 or 7 years old. PIV 2.1 Ghz, 1Gb RAM, 45 Gb HDD, split 25 ubuntu/ 20 xp. I'll probably get a new machine soon. I am a writer (aside from school). I'm pretty passionate about writing, but I don't have many people to share with. Whatever. Hit me up ryanDOTriversideATgmailDOTcom if you want to. I'd like to show up at the next meeting, if I can.

~Ryan Riverside

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey my name is Greg Woodard (hence the nickname) I actually live down near Decatur, IL (not specific on the town for privacy) I am also going into my Senior year of high school
    "Ubuntu- Pleasing millions of users at a time"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I'm Matt, I live near Bloomington, I'm going into my senior year of high school. I've used Ubuntu since 5.04 or so. I use older hardware (for now), and the Me I had installed was ugly and temperamental. Linux looked great, and Ubuntu looked like it was something I could install and use, and I've been using it ever since. Runs very nicely on 500 Mhz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

My name is Chris Rhoads, and since 1998 I've been known as "dustrho" on the Internet. I live out in Aurora, have been living there the last seven years, and I've lived in the 'burbs all 34 years of my life. I've been playing around with Ubuntu when Edgy first came out, but that was just tinkering around with the OS. Since Feisty's come out, I've been 90% Ubuntu at home and the same here at my office in downtown Chicago. I'm a Security Administrator for a large law firm, and you can't get more secure than with Linux (over Windows, of course!). I'm so excited with the progression of Ubuntu, and can't wait to see what future versions will look like.

GO BEARS!
    Ubuntu User #33768 / Started with 4.10 aka Warty Warthog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

My name is Lee, and I live on the south side of Chicago. I liked Linux from the very first time I installed it, but only came to love it after I was able to rescue an old machine. My 5 year old Dell was experiencing more and more problems under XP. It's now running Ubuntu and working as a multi-purpose server. I now fully expect to get several more years of use out of it.

Go Sox! (no fairweather fan am I)
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am Ryan. I live approx. 2mi east of Springfield. I am a high school student currently attending the local career center for the Cisco Academy program. I am a Junior, and after high school I plan to earn a BS in computer science.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi everybody. Tony here. I'm in Logan Square, Chi. I have tried *nix off and on since around 2000. I now run feisty solo on my laptop. I have thus learned a great many things and look forward to much, much more. I have an IT background (read MS headaches!) but am not currently in the field. I am looking for projects to irritate myself with! Glad to be here and will see you around.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hey All. I didn't realize all these people were in the Ubuntu-Chicago and Ubuntu-Illinois Forums. I've been representing/promoting Ubuntu in the area pretty hard for the past year, but I don't recognize alot of these names.

#ubuntu-illinois redirects to #ubuntu-chicago on IRC but if all these people are serious about -Illinois, then the team has a strong base of operation, imho.

I should introduce myself before I ramble on some more. My name is Eddie Martinez, and I live on the southside of Chicago. I do lots of work for the locoI(s), mainly in setting the agendas and planning the meetings. I've been hooked on Ubuntu for the past year or so, around the time of Dapper/Edgy. Since then, I haven't looked back. I also work as a webmaster for a chamber of commerce in downtown Chicago.

Back to the topic of Ubuntu Locos/Teams. I set the agenda for the first Ubuntu-Illinois meeting we had. Myself, j1mc, manchicken, xjdriver, and my brother Freddy (Admiral_Chicago) atttended. It would be amazing to hear more from the rest of the people in the area though, so we can set up more meetings. A install fest at UIUC is planned for early 2008, which Mike Stemle (manchicken) is supposed to be a big part of. He is the 'head' of Ubuntu-Illinois.

If it is not obvious already, most of the people who I know to be 'active' in Ubuntu type stuff hang out in IRC and on the mailing list. If I am exclusing anyone, please except my apologies. I understand how giant the State is, and how hard it is to get to the meetings.

I mostly run Kubuntu (mostly meaning 99%), but I have run Edubuntu, Ubuntu and Xubuntu. I am a fan of all those releases. Gutsy just dropped and I am excited to help out with the next release. Outside of Ubuntu, I am a member of the Chicago Gnu/Linux Users Group, attendee of BarCamp Chicago, skateboarding genius (*cough I wish Cough*), and big time lover of computers. I am a student at the Illinois Institute of Technology (IIT) and i like talking to people.

Hope to see/talk to you guys more.

-Eddie M.

ps.

posingaspopular.wordpress.com
    posingaspopular-IRC
    skatern00b -AIM
    eddiemartinez@gmail.com

Beans
    Distro

Hey guys. If you are not on the Mailing List, you should read this. The Ubuntu Chicago team is going to be having a special meeting this TUESDAY OCTOBER 30th on IRC (#ubuntu-chicago irc.freenode.net) about a event we are planning on throwing at 11AM. Again, Tuesday Oct. 30th, #ubuntu-chicago at 11am. irc DOT freenode DOT net We will be discussing an event designed to bring ubuntu to the masses, as a sort of into to tech event (very 1960s. radical!), with the help of many other Open Source companies etc., but specifically thrown and hosted by the Loco.

This meeting will be chaired by myself and Rich Johnson (loco head aka nixternal) and we are asking for you input, attendance, ideas, contacts lists, enthusiam, etc. if for some reason you can't attend, we will be recapping/summarizing the meeting on the mailing list, so those who aren't able to attend can respond back with feedback.

This will be the next meeting we have for a while, so it is imperative that we get lots of input from the loco. remember, you dont have to a coding genius to suggest pizza for the event ;p. Please make it if you can.

Also, the next meeting after this coming Tuesday is Dec. 1st at the Institue of Design from 1pm-3pm. We will be hosted by the ChicagoGNU/Linux Users Group (chiglug.org) and it should be a great time.

Sorry if this is short notice but this decision was made for the meeting around 9pm on Sunday night and i have been trying to fix my own computer since that time.

-Eddie Martinez

ps. please come (/me stops asking people to come)

also I checked and Ubuntu-Chicago doesnt have it's own forum space because we chose not to. If anyone wants this decision changed, come to the meetings and speak up. thanks.

Beans
    Distro

My name is Will, I live in Lake County. I started using ubuntu right after the first release due to my inability to get things working with redhat 7.3, which is what we were using for a system administration class I was taking. I was sold from the start with the ease of use and community that was willing to help with advice other than "RTFM". I've been doing my best to learn more about linux for the past few years and once even tried to start my own little users group. I'm really excited about being part of the Illinois LoCo team and look forward to talking with you all in #ubuntu-chicago.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast