Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

Beans

Re: Illinois & Chicago Shoutouts

Hey All! Chad AKA Chadarius here!

I'm a member of Ubuntu Chicago and we are a great group of people. I'm glad we started the forums up here. I just installed Ubuntu 7.04 server. I'm configuring LAMP, dns, dhcp, ldap and samba. I'm upgrading my old Gentoo box. So far so good!
    Later,
    Chadarius
    http://chadarius.com

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Hi All,

I'm Jim, a member of the Chicago loco team, and all-around ubuntu / linux enthusiast. I dabbled with Linux starting with Red Hat 9 back in 2000 or so, and tried other distros since then, but Ubuntu finally got me hooked on Linux with Breezy Badger. So, I've been using Linux full-time for just about one full year now!

I'm primarily involved with helping out the Xubuntu linux project, doing work with documentation and coordinating community testing of images prior to release milestones. While Xubuntu doesn't have some of it's bigger brother's fancy apps installed by default, it's very fast and usable. I like those aspects of it, but it is not right for everyone. It just depends on your needs and interests.

At home I have an HP AMD-64 desktop running Xubuntu 7.04, a PIII micron computer in my closet running Debian Etch - serving up files for the household, and a Thinkpad running Xubuntu 7.04.

There are some new names that I'm not familiar with in this forum post, so . . . I look forward to meeting each of you somewhere down the line.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi, my name is Patrick Green. I am currently using Feisty on my Acer 5100-3949 laptop and loving every moment of it. I have been using Linux since late 2001 when I started working for the (now non existent) Alescere. Alescere made turnkey SIP Based PBX systems. After that I branched out on my own and started a company called Silver Strand Solutions (Linux Migration Consulting) and was a co owner of Gigastrand (pre installed Linspire Linux laptops and desktops). Some of my clients included Linspire, Novell, State of Indiana and a few local private schools. Along the way I have been honored to write a Micheal's Minute and a Linspire Letter. I also have a smattering of articles in searchopensource (not very sexy unless you really get off on 64 bit bladeservers). I have spoken to a few local universities (such as University of St Francis), computer clubs (such as the Chicago Computer Society), and conventions (such as the Desktop Linux Summit). Current memberships are as follows: Vice Chair, Freespire Community Board; Member, Chicago Ubuntu Local Group; Member, University of St Francis technical advisory board; Member, Chicago Computer Society, Linspire Insider, and some other stuff.

I have closed my business and now work for Turtol LLC. I am their in house technical writer. Basically, I write whatever needs to be written. Sometimes that means internal docs for our internal stuff, sometimes it means how to's for our clients, other times-like my most recent project-it means writing copy for our clients. Being a technical writer may not be as sexy as what Marcel Gagne' does for a living, but every day is different and every project is a challenge. We are mostly a gentoo shop, but two of us have Ubuntu on our laptops. It is cool to be working for a company that not only develops and supports GPL wares, but does so for real world clients like the National Alzheimers Association.

They are doing some real cool things these days and will continue to do some real cool things in the near future. This fall I will also be teaching a practical use of computers class at Christian Life College.

Anyway, that is a little bit about me. Looking forward to taking a greater part in the Ubuntu woods.

Cheers

Patrick

Beans

Hey, I’m Jacob Mathena, I currently live in Montgomery, ill but am moving to Waterman in the next few months.. Waterman is out near Dekalb. I work In Wheeling, a bit of a hike but I will be doing that for the time being.. I first started With Red Hat back in 97 but with school and work I used windows so much and it was always just kind of a side project. About 2 years ago I started really getting back into Linux and at this point I am running a Ubuntu Lamp Server at home with Ubuntu Laptop, Desktop, and a Xubuntu desktop. I have another one or two systems that I am messing with. With the move coming soon I only have the server, a desktop and my laptop in use. I also use Ubuntu to run World of Warcraft and it has been working very well although I have not had a lot of time as of late.

I am currently getting my MBA with a focus on network and communications. I have been handing out CD's and talking with people in the class about the upsides of Linux. I have actually gotten 1 guy who works at a small company to move thier servers from Windows to Ubuntu. He likes it so much better and he no longer has the costs. Load Webmin on it and it becomes so easy to admin the system.

I am also looking to start up a side business for doing computer repair and administration out in the North Central Illinois area. I am excited about Dells announcement to start distributing Ubuntu Loaded Systems. Maybe a chance to help Linux spread. Time permitting I try to help the community by testing software as it comes out on as many of my systems as I can.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Jacob,

Welcome. And I believe I know you from the 90s, early 90s, high school. Your name is way to damn familiar. It may have been before high school years as well. I went to GBN from 89-93, live out in Hangover by mount trashmore. Name is Rich Johnson, have a brother Kevin, dunno, but your name rings a big time familiar bell. If you think it might be you, or you know who I am, email me at nixternal AT ubuntu DOT com.
    Richard Johnson (nixternal)
    Core Developer :: MOTU :: MOTU Council :: Community Council
    https://launchpad.net/~nixternal
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RichardJohnson
    http://www.nixternal.com

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

I'm Francisco Athens, a Classroom Services Coordinator at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.. whew..

I converted to GNU/Linux a few years ago and have not looked back since discovering Ubuntu. I run a Free Software group at the school to promote and discuss FOSS. I like to brag that my three year old daughter is an Ubuntu user
    Francisco Athens - Wiki Webmaster:
    Free Like GNU, ArchOpen, Herena Forge, SCOURGEweb

Beans

Hey I am eric, I live on the north west side of the city limits. I am brand new to linux, but have already cleaned windows off my computer.

I really would like to help with programming with the open source community (I have never programmed before) so I have already started teaching myself python with the help from the programming forms.

Had beryl and my wireless card working the 1st day with a little bit of tinkering, and loving every minute of it. Cant wait to really start pushing the limits of linux and my comp in the months to come.

I have not yet tried IRC yet soon though, for not my AIM is OpsoleatSN.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello everyone,

My name is Richard Berglund, although I'm commonly known as "Rick" or "Rab". Home is just south of Chicago, in the suburban town of Lansing. Although I have moved to the Bloomington/Normal in central Illinois for school and work. I am a graduate from Illinois State University where I studied Information Systems and currently work in the IT field as a Systems Analyst.

I have been using Linux for almost a decade now. My initial exposure to Linux was from a friend, that ironically works at Microsoft now, who was running Red Hat. Impressed by what I seen, I bought a couple beginning books on Linux and started reading. Sadly, since the only computer we had was the families I had to wait an entire year before I could install Linux (I worked as temporary help to get enough money to build a new computer).

Several years later and after many PC builds I have tried several distributions of Linux. I started with Red Hat (7.x series) and have toyed with versions all the way up to Fedora Core 3. I have also worked with SuSE/Novell, Gentoo, Slackware, Mandrake/Mandriva, BSD, and of course Ubuntu; which has become my distro of choice for the last few years.

-Rick
    "To err is human... to really foul up requires the root password."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by trepidprism View Post
    Hey I am eric
    Heya! Me too!

I am brand new to linux, but have already cleaned windows off my computer.
    Good man. Brave, too. It took me a year or two before I stopped dual-booting -- mostely because of a long-lasting game addiction. Welcome to the world of *real* computing .

I really would like to help with programming with the open source community (I have never programmed before) so I have already started teaching myself python with the help from the programming forms.
    I know the feeling. I imagine we have a lot to learn, but I aspire to be the next Linus .

SigmaX
    "Rational people argue both sides."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hey,
    My name's Sean Tilley, I'm almost 17, and I live 30 minutes away from Peoria. I started using Ubuntu last year, due to a failing machine. I switched to Linspire, because Ubuntu was clunky with wifi. I came to dislike Linspire, so I just put Windows back on it, and let it die.
    But then, one day, I fixed up my computer, and put Feisty Fawn on it. I use a Buffalo Airbus for wifi, and dual boot with XP for Linux-unfriendly games. I've started on a hobby project known as Centrifuge, and I've been working slowly on getting my Windows games to work better on Linux. I'm also learning Python, because, well, why not?
    And so, that's me. I also tend to hang out on adventure game forums a lot. I love writing, singing, and one day wish to start a band, for fun.
    Peace
    Mr. Psychopath

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast