Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another migrant trying to find a replacement for dreamweaver

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Another migrant trying to find a replacement for dreamweaver

Zend Studio runs on Linux too. The only web development tool that we don't have is a WYSIWYG editor as good as Dreamweaver's, but I believe in writing HTML by hand to produce the best semantic code. A lot of web designers never heard of web standards, semantic code, tableless layout; all they know is how to use Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG editor. But all you need to create the best design is a text editor. The best web designers I know don't use Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG editor. Most use simple HTML editors for MacOS X and they are as good as kate, Quanta, Bluefish... Please learn about web standards, you can start here:
    http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/de...web_standards/
    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archiv...web_standards/
    Then learn HTML for real and you'll never need a WYSIWYG editor again. Especially after you see what kind of code it produces.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I hear ya on the WYSIWYG development folks. We have a dual environment at work (PHP and Cold Fusion on Linux) and we have a camp of people who use only the Dreamweaver buttons for database development and my phone number for troubleshooting.

I haven't opened the visual editor on Dreamweaver since 2005, when I inadvertantly opened it when I was trying to drag my VLC window out of the way of my playlist and it caught on the edge of the code view

I haven't used Zend Studio (although we run Zend Core on many of our servers), but I hear it is pretty good. For only $300, maybe I should give it a stab.

Beans

Using an editor that supports gnome-vfs will make editing remote files easy. I manage a small PHP site by editing the files on-line with gedit (really dislike PHP though). Only thing it will not do for you is to keep a local mirror but you can copy the files over to the local disk easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by _tms View Post
    Using an editor that supports gnome-vfs will make editing remote files easy. I manage a small PHP site by editing the files on-line with gedit (really dislike PHP though). Only thing it will not do for you is to keep a local mirror but you can copy the files over to the local disk easily.
    I get that totally. I was a VI guy for years (I still hit escape and colon when I am in notepad or gedit on occasion).

A side note for Quanta Plus: Hitting "F8" brings up the FTP window unless you have Beryl Enabled. Guess I have to re-map those hot-keys

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

try Aptana baby, ftp works html/xhtml/css works javascript not so but it's much cooler than any dreamweaver

it can run as stand alone or eclipse plugin

http://www.aptana.com/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    Zend Studio runs on Linux too. The only web development tool that we don't have is a WYSIWYG editor as good as Dreamweaver's, but I believe in writing HTML by hand to produce the best semantic code. A lot of web designers never heard of web standards, semantic code, tableless layout; all they know is how to use Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG editor. But all you need to create the best design is a text editor. The best web designers I know don't use Dreamweaver's WYSIWYG editor. Most use simple HTML editors for MacOS X and they are as good as kate, Quanta, Bluefish... Please learn about web standards, you can start here:
    http://www.456bereastreet.com/lab/de...web_standards/
    http://www.456bereastreet.com/archiv...web_standards/
    Then learn HTML for real and you'll never need a WYSIWYG editor again. Especially after you see what kind of code it produces.
    I agree 100%.

When you code by hand, you can guarantee that your layers of structure, presentation, and behaviour are separate. Also, when you use id/class attributes, you can give them meaningful names, which makes maintenance a great deal easier (both for yourself and the developers who come along after you).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I keep hitting road blocks on getting eclipse and pdt installed. I'm running feisty and have eclipse 3.2 installed. I'm wondering how exactly you got pdt installed. I used the update management to install GEF and EMF but JEM and WTP need other dependencies. PDT needs all four of these to be installed.

I have ZendStudio on my main machine. (dapper, will be doing a fresh install of feisty soon)

Any help is much appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

this ain't easy, since Eclipse make errors on Windows and Linux while trying to update to PDT via IDE itself. My best bet is install Eclipse via add/remove programs in Ubuntu and then download full PDT from Eclipse website and just overwrite existing Eclipse directories.

This is my bet though, works on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you develop on windows, or dont mind running wine on linux, then I really suggest that you try Notepad++. It has FTP support... which runs a little better than dreamweavers... and syntax highlighting, word completion, etc...

The word completion is not that good though, and the syntax highlighting you need to modify yourself to get it how you really want (if your picky like me). I work full time for a web development company, so i need things to work my way for me to work efficiently.

Oh yeah, Notepad++ doesn't have wysiwyg, but oh well... i usually debug in firefox/ie... dreamweaver doesn't really cut it in that department.

I am looking for a development tool to use with linux though, I love notepad++ but don't feel like simulating it with wine... going to have to try Quanta like a previous post said. Thanks for the suggestion.

Hope this helps.
    Douglass M. Morin
    DougMorin.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For PHP, all I use is Eclipse + PDT + FTP Plugin. I think it's wonderful. BTW I never had problem running PDT. Just download the bundled package from their site. But since eclipse 3.4.0 came out and PDT still works with 3.3.2 you might want to wait a little (29 December) to get the updated core.

Anyway if you don't want to wait here's the bundled 3.3.2 version with PDT 1.0.3. Get the file pdt-all-in-one-R20080603-linux-gtk.tar.gz
    I assure you it works. If that doesn't work it means there is something wrong on your side (bad java installation maybe?)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast