View Poll Results: Would you install and configure Ubuntu for someone you know... free of charge?

Voters
132. You may not vote on this poll
  • Without hesitation--I'd even do it for someone I don't know

63 47.73%
  • I'd do it for friends, family members, or co-workers for free

58 43.94%
  • I'd charge a small fee (1-50 Euros)

1 0.76%
  • I'd charge a large fee (more than 50 Euros)

1 0.76%
  • I don't know enough to install and configure Ubuntu for others

5 3.79%
  • I wish I knew someone who would install and configure Ubuntu for me!

0 0%
  • Other (Please explain)

4 3.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would you install and configure Ubuntu for someone you know... free of charge?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Would you install and configure Ubuntu for someone you know... free of charge?

Would you install and configure Ubuntu for someone you know... free of charge?
    yes, of course! i've already done so with ubuntu and other ditstros on numerous occasions. why would i want to charge for it?
    WARNING FOR THOSE NEW TO LINUX: NEVER use a command given to you before asking and knowing exactly what it does.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Would you install and configure Ubuntu for someone you know... free of charge?

yes, I already did this, for friends and for my girlfriend
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Without hesitation--I'd even do it for someone I don't know
    Although I would take out the without hesitation. I would probably profile the person and their hardware first to make sure it would be somewhat painless to install and configure. Also to make sure that the person would be receptive to another Operating System.

I've assisted a couple roommates in installing Ubuntu, but the initiative was mostly their own.
    2GHz AMD 939, 256MB GeForce 7600GT, 1GB DDR PC 2700 RAM, Feisty Fawn
    1.76GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel 950 GMA, 1GB DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM, Fiesty Fawn
    Registered Linux User #437675 | Registered Ubuntu User #10829

Beans
    Hidden!

I'd do it for beer and/or dinner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    In light of a recent remark in another thread, I'm just curious.

This is for home users--not businesses. Though, if you'd do it for free for businesses (small, large, medium--please specify), too, please mention so in a reply.

Please try to pick the poll option that most closely reflects your situation. If it's close but doesn't match your situation exactly, just explain how it's off. If nothing is even remotely close to your situation, pick Other and then explain.
    I'd do anything I could to show people there is a third way - I always advocate linux to anyone who will listen (and quite a few who won't).
    An infinite number of monkeys with an infinite number of typewriters would undergo extreme gravitational collapse. Astronomers have not yet observed a neutron star emitting the works of Shakespeare in the high-energy X-Ray band.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have installed Ubuntu for friends and family members and I would never charge them money. I also would help out colleagues and would not charge them money.

On a lighter side, installing Ubuntu and having it up and running usually takes about 20-30 mins if there aren't any serious issues to deal with, so it would really not be appropriate to charge people A coffee and biscuits would be more than enough...
    Recommended Resources: Ubuntu Linux Resources

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I helped one of my friends get it up and running on his box before. Too bad I can't convince my family!
    Windows: an accessory or a distant memory on my machines!

Beans

People willing to install for free should also check out this thread..
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=411040

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

My friends and family are all well aware of my Linux user but I make it a point not to push it on them unless they "need it" or "want it"

An example I've had of a friend NEEDING Linux was a couple months ago she managed to infect her system with some malware that totally wrecked it. Frantically searching for her Windows Restore CDs turned up nothing, and she called me crying. I went down with an Ubuntu disk and was able to get the system functioning, I set up Ubuntu for her so that she wouldn't need to mess with any of that and she was happy with it until the machine's death. She purchased a new machine and is now using Windows again, oh well.

In any case, I can't justify charging for installing any distribution of Linux on a system, although sometimes I feel like I should be charging for that AND support. As of right now, I've never charged anyone including strangers for the installation.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans

Why should i charge someone for something this easy? If somebody asks gently i'll do it without hesitating.

i mean its not gentoo or something which takes much much longer to set up and configure but i probably would do that to.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast