Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Group Members lets go

Beans

Group Members lets go

Its time to get our plans together, decide what we want to do first and do it. no more fussing around or sink fishing. Lets just do it. Help decide what we want to do first by posting here and we will all make the decision together.
    If you know any linux users get them to join the launchpad group (https://launchpad.net/~ubie)

Lets go people!

Beans

Re: Group Members lets go

Whatever happened to the Wiki?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Bit of a slow start..
    I guess we need to arrange a meeting - via IRC or the like.
    Make a list of what everyone would like to get out of this forum, etc.

My list would be something like:
    1. Case study - convert a friend, and get him/her to help document the experience

2. Workplace - how to introduce Linux to a corporate environment - beyond just servers.

3. Cool projects - jointly work on and document projects that you'd love to do, but didn't know where to start, or have time on your own, e.g. Myth Tv box customised for Ireland, jukebox/home music system/ party music system, home security server - controlling motion sensor cameras (aka Zoneminder), home pabx system (aka Asterix), build a ubuntu based e-voting machine(!!), build a kiosk system for public places, a till for shop, an end to end small business package (i.e. invoicing, accounts, CRP, etc, etc. )

4. Find out where Linux (any Linux) is being used in Ireland, and publicise it. I'm sure we'd all be amazed at the places it's being run, but no-one knows about it.

5. Research all the non-profit organisations in Ireland, or any type organisation where money is tight, and audit their current computer needs, or aspirations (if they can't afford computers now). Develop a scheme to help them get kitted out. There are lots of organisations trying to get rid of "old" computer kit, and lots of these WEEE companies making a fortune out of scrapping them. Can we break this cycle. Look at www.camara.ie - do we support this, or does Ireland needs it's own camara type setup.

6. Linux roadshows in towns.........

The list is endless, it really is. Maybe any/all of the above, might unearth an interest in Linux that we never knew existed, and who knows, we can setup a company and do it full time! Dare to dream!!!

As 2shae said.........lets go people!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Ok, i'm all for getting our act together and using some of my here to for unused Linux enthusiasm, lets get started!
    My Blog : http://shanetuohy.com
    Linux Counter #425464 ------- Ubuntu Counter # 7082
    Beware of blindly copying and pasting into the terminal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Ok, either everyones busy, or noone is bothered, or noone knows about this forum.
    The only thing we can really do anything about is the last one.
    We can publicise the existence of this forum on other Linux related Ireland forums/sites.

I guess ILUG is the most obvious one.
    What do ye think?

Highway.

Beans

I think we need to just set a date, not to far away as the interest will die. The plug the crap out of it on all the irish/linux/open source sites. If people cant turn up they cant turn up, it 2 people turn up so be it at least those two people can start to get the ship sailing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Guys, I have just talked to Jono Bacon, dev for Ubuntu at the UDS. We need to get hold of Duey. Three attempts, we elect a new leader, and contact Jono.

We *really* need to meet up, establish who is really with us.

There is an IRC channel, #ubuntu-ie, which is hardly populated these days.

I am willing to give out my home number to those members who need it.I am going to start on some co-ordination of the team, and mail people on the launchpad site, get everyone to post in here.

My email is Bonzodog01 at gmail dot com
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans

I really like Highways ideas. Likethe idea of documenting Ubuntu's succes in Ireland and getting the companies that use Ubuntu involved in documenting or at least telling their stories about migration, issues that they met and issue that they still have. These should help other companies in Ireland know whether Ubun is the right choice for them or not.

Anyway, I would say lets organise an IRC meeting. See who turns up and go from their, see what the interest is like. And possibly form a commitee or a joint leadership so its not just one guys responsibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Well, I am always in #ubuntu-ie, and I am more than willing to host a meeting there for people.

We need to arrange a date and time, then email all known Irish users on these forums.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most " -- Ozzy Osbourne

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, I knew someone would turn up sooner or later!
    I've subscribed to this thread, but haven't been receiving any emails when it was updated.
    I'm all for getting something started, but just so you know, I'm in the process of completing a house build, and moving out of Dublin at the moment, which will affect my availability in the short term, so an IRC meeting is a good idea.
    I'll log onto the IRC shortly, and help how ever I can.
    Highway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast