Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Howto compile Pidgin IM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Howto compile Pidgin IM

Has anyone been able to get off the record plugin compiled for pidgin? I tried many times, and it seems impossible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

it worked fine for me. I downloaded the source and
    Code:
    sudo apt-get build-dep gaim-otr
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install
    and then restart pidgin, it worked fine.

PS> I built this package a while ago so there might be a few problems during ./configure that are dependency related but its easy enough to figure out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If after compiling from source you get the error "cannot load libpurple.so.0" or similar... it could be because it was installed to /usr/local/lib instead of /usr/lib.

I had this tonight after compiling the latest version 2.1.1 from source.

make a symbolic link fixes it.

Code:
    ln -s /usr/local/lib/libpurple.so.0 /usr/lib/

Beans

I wanted to do this, but stopped after the first step, downloading the dependencies. It's a program that in itself is less than 10 MB (if memory serves correctly from the Windows version), yet the dependencies of the build-packages come in at near 40 MB in addition?

Well, will compile this if I get an answer to this: Are these packages needed afterwards, and if not, how to remove them?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by OttifantSir View Post
    I wanted to do this, but stopped after the first step, downloading the dependencies. It's a program that in itself is less than 10 MB (if memory serves correctly from the Windows version), yet the dependencies of the build-packages come in at near 40 MB in addition?

Well, will compile this if I get an answer to this: Are these packages needed afterwards, and if not, how to remove them?
    Any reason you want to compile it? Its packaged in a deb on Getdeb.net already.
    In Soviet Russia, cake lies you!
    My Blog | Email Me

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OttifantSir View Post
    You'll need them if you plan on upgrading/compiling future versions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

you can copy the output of sudo apt-get build-dep gaim and install them with sudo apt-get install ***pasted packages***. Then just remove them using console history after you've compiled pidgin.

Beans

How do I get it added to the "Program"-menu? Now I have to run it with "pidgin" in the terminal. Also, do I still need the directory I extracted the source and compiled the app in?

I followed this tutorial.

http://leetturtle.com/compile-pidgin...-source-ubuntu

Beans

For those who are facing problems with checkinstall trying to overwrite files in /usr/bin (eg./usr/bin/ld), here's a quick fix for it:

1) Run checkinstall with the --inspect option (ie. checkinstall --inspect -D)

2) Upon successful compilation, checkinstall will prompt if you would like to review the files to be included in the pacakage. Choose "Yes"

3) Vi will be started and you will see a list of files which will be included in the package. Remove all the lines that do not contain the word "Purple" or "Pidgin"

**To delete lines in Vi, press the "d" key twice. To delete multiple lines (eg. 5 lines), type "5dd". **

4) Once that is done, all the necessary pidgin files will be included only and the creation and installation of the .deb file should be 100% successful.

Hope this helps.

Beans

Wow. Thanks alot. That really does help. Great post.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617