Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OpenGL Sucking..

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: OpenGL Sucking..

Quote Originally Posted by hikaricore View Post
    I can't help but notice you have a page open about beryl. Are you running beryl at the same
    time as the games? Because this WILL cause issues and you should use beryl-manager to
    temporarily disable it. Aside from that, which driver are you using? Is it "nvidia" or "nv"?
    No.. I installed beyrl, but I rarely use it. I need to figure out how to get the emerald theme, because I cant stand not having min/max/ close in the right corner.

Im using the NVIDIA driver from the website. I could never get the GLX driver from the package manager to prevent the computer from crashing. Its impossible to have the GLX driver without having the restricted modules, which has the common kernel listed as a dependency... If I remove either the common kernel or the restricted modules, it removes the GLX driver. If I dont remove anything, I get an API mismatch and the Xwindow wont load. Installing the driver from the website, I can remove the the common kernel and restricted modules, and then I just compile the madwifi drivers from source off there website (for my wireless).

I dont know.. Ive minimized BF2 (XP) and looked at the dual meters and both cores were running about 55%. God guys, I just hate seeing 100%. Ive had two Athlon processors crap themselves in the past. Ive been really defensive of this intel dual core.

Mine switches too.. for like a minute... then it just stops switching, and one stays 100% while the other one stays at 0-7%.

Am I just being paranoid? Any other ideas?

**Edit** The reason I had a page open about beyrl wasnt because of beyrl. I was looking for any threads dealing with high cpu usage.. I do try and figure this stuff out with search before I post a new thread...

**Edit2** Yes, I have all the upgrades. Seems like their is a lot in Beta releases..
    Last edited by GSF1200S; April 9th, 2007 at 07:28 AM.
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm so glad I found someone who shares the same problem I have !
    I'm getting mad with my openGL games that shoot my CPU to 100% for no reason. It seems indeed that the CPU load switches from one core to another randomly.

Interestingly, we share some common specs :
    Athlon X2 3800+
    Nvidia graphic card (FX5200) with proprietary drivers (from feisty repos in my case)

I encountered this problem with many openGL games so far :
    - NWN
    - Defcon
    - Boson
    -falconseye
    - Pinball (come on this can't need 100% cpu !)

I've been tracking this bug for weeks and I also found another topic that could match : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=452266

We sould share our experience and consider filing a bug report on launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok I think I got it !

After reading some of your other threads concerning the nvidia panel, I started tweaking around and I found that the faulty parameter is "Sync to Vblank"
    Switching this to ON solved all my OpenGL/CPU problems !!!

Hope it helps

Beans

Could you please specify which "Sync to VBlank" you checked?
    In nvidia-settings it appears on the "X Server XVideo Settings" tab under "Video Texture Adaptor" and "Video Blitter Adaptor". It also appears on the "OpenGL Settings" tab.
    Currently favorite songs:
    Miss Hyde, This Song Is About Monsters, Masagin, I Will Try to Blow it Out, La Resistance
    Visit www.cherrypeel.com for more free indie music =)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Ok, in my config it's all unchecked in Xserver Xvideo settings, but checked in Opengl Settings.

Hope it'll help you guys.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Topper_H View Post
    Ok, in my config it's all unchecked in Xserver Xvideo settings, but checked in Opengl Settings.

Hope it'll help you guys.
    Ive come a ways since I first posted this topic. Just opening and closing the NVIDIA panel will make the CPU usage rest at usual levels. Still, I dont think a pinball game should demand 40% cpu usage. Ill see what happens when I reinstall Ubuntu... Kubuntu is nice and all, but Ive had too many dumb issues that really annoy me. Its too bad: I think KDE has more potential- haha, this is a different thread. Plus, GNOME seems to have come a long way since when I used it a few months ago..

Anyways.. just load the nvidia server settings and close it, and games will play at reasonable levels. You think checking the sync to vblank option is whats doing it, but ill almost gaurentee that a reboot will leave you with the same problem... until you reload the nvidia settings..
    Stop Trusted Computing! http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
    Asus Rampage 2 Extreme/2.66GHz i7 Quad/6GB DDR3 1600MHz 8-8-8-24/2x Nvidia 9800GTX+
    2x150GB 10krpm HD/2x1TB 7200RPM HD/3ware RAID/
    Xubuntu 11.04/Arch Linux/Gentoo Linux/Fedora

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thanks for this thread.. Changing the Sync to Vblank setting under OpenGL Settings (nvidia-settings) stopped my one cpu from hogging 100% cpu as well
    I can now play soulfu without the temp of my laptop getting to 75 C

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12