View Poll Results: When using the installer, do you need to do additional tweak?

Voters
150. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, it runs perfectly

114 76.00%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll manually

16 10.67%
  • Yes, I need to copy dll and set dll overrides manually

20 13.33%
Page 80 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Install E-sword with wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Smile Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

Just an update. I recently installed Mint Linux (Ubuntu 11 I believe) and then the latest Wine. Installed E-sword and it could not have been easier or smoother. I then copied all my files from my windows version, pasted them to the directory on the Linux version and viola! I have gone through all the hoops and surgeries with previous attempts but this was painless.No bugs or glitches so far. It's easier than ever to install e-sword on Linux.
    Last edited by jesse100; December 19th, 2011 at 05:44 PM.

Beans

Re: How To Install E-sword with wine

I have tried a number of ways in properly installing e-sword under ubuntu (10.11 with all latest updates 18 Jan 12) and finally managed to have search and graphics functions working properly.

I have previously installed Wine 1.3.? and installed e-sword by double clicking on file which resulted in a sub-performance installation. Then un-installed both Wine and e-sword without cleaning up first, installed wine 1.2.3 and again installing e-sword by double clicking.

The installation was again poor.

I then tried this solution (david_kt's e-Sword_installer_301011) in an attempt to "rescue" the installation, but then I realized that the previous installation might have been so corrupted that these problems still remained after david's solution.

There was perhaps corruption that is not targeted by david's solution, and I also do not suggest that david's solution should target all and sundry problems.

So if you also have a totally wrecked installation after doing the same nonsense I did, you might find this another possible solution without any guarantees

I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WINE OR FOR THAT MATTER LINUX INSTALLATION ISSUES - I STRICTLY FOLLOW PROCEDURES FOUND ON THE WEB
    THIS IS JUST TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE

Using Wine 1.2.3 (running in WinXP mode) I have used a few other ways of installing of which I think the best summary is as follows:
    1. After having installed and un-installed david_kt's e-Sword_installer_301011 (which I suspect rectifies a corrupted wine environment), I use winetricks -> select default wineprefix -> install dll ... -> and selected from the menu
    mfc42; msls31; msxml3; msxml6; riched20; riched30; vb5run; wsh56vb; wsh57

I do not know whether all of these are required, but at least "mfc42, msls31 & riched20" as suggested by david_kt
    2. Used "Configure Wine" to set "riched20" and "oleaut32" to "native(windows)" as per david_kt

3. Used "Uninstall Wine Software" (I know, funny name) to install "ESwordsetup1005.exe" (after install graphics worked, but not search)

4. Used "Uninstall Wine Software" to
    a) un-install "ESwordsetup1005.exe" and although wine reports success, the programme is still listed as being installed,
    b) and installed "ESwordsetup983.exe" in tandem
    thereafter install search worked, but not graphics

5. Used "Uninstall Wine Software" to
    a) again un-install "ESwordsetup983.exe"
    b) and re-installed "ESwordsetup1005.exe"
    after install BOTH search AND graphics WORKS.
    I have since not worked exhaustively with e-sword and I am therefore not aware of any other possible problems.

Resolve : I suspect that there is a "environment component" installed by 983 that 1005 requires but is not installed by 1005 (obviously also the contribution of david_kt's e-Sword_installer_301011 to the environment) A nag is that both versions of e-sword is reported to be installed by Wine.

I will report on any further bugs, if any.
    Last edited by uboer; January 19th, 2012 at 12:32 PM. Reason: More friendly problem statement

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by uboer View Post
    After numerous attempts at this solution (david_kt's e-Sword_installer_301011) there were still problems (the installer automatically downloads every session the latest e-sword version - in my case 10.05) with searching returning nothing.
    I just tried a few minutes ago on Maverick, the installer works fine. Search and graphic functioning properly. Just makes sure there is no error when you use the installer.

DK

Beans

Dear David

I can see from the quoted portion of my previous message it might seem as if I am critical. This is however not what I intended. I will edit my entry to be more explanatory.

Regards

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Whoever wants to avoid all the problems, follow my post on page 79. I kept having all these weird issues, and could never get anything to work, so I went to the place where they have the official installer, and took the information out of it, did it their way, and it couldn't work better!

I've also found that some packages like riched don't even need to be installed. (crosstie installer doesn't mention it!)

P.S. uboer: riched20 made the graphics go blank for me.......

Edit: jonathonblake brings up a good point. I had forgotten to mention that the SermonAudio doesn't work. Everything else does, however it is not my fault this doesn't. The reason is that WINE fails to install the needed packages for this feature....
    Last edited by James78; March 6th, 2012 at 06:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by James78 View Post
    Whoever wants to avoid all the problems,
    Did you ever get the SermonAudio component to work correctly?
    ">Tools >SermonAudio.com"

follow my post on page 79.
    Post # 792 in this thread.

jonathon
    And now I bend the knee of my heart,
    Imploring you for your kindness.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by James78 View Post
    Whoever wants to avoid all the problems, follow my post on page 79. I kept having all these weird issues, and could never get anything to work, so I went to the place where they have the official installer, and took the information out of it, did it their way, and it couldn't work better!

I've also found that some packages like riched don't even need to be installed. (crosstie installer doesn't mention it!)

P.S. uboer: riched20 made the graphics go blank for me.......
    You should use riched20 that comes with e-Sword, just need to override the wine dll with native dll.

DK

James78 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by jonathonblake View Post
    Did you ever get the SermonAudio component to work correctly?
    ">Tools >SermonAudio.com"

Post # 792 in this thread.

jonathon
    I should've mentioned that that doesn't work. I had meant that everything works except that part. The reason it doesn't work is that WINE won't properly install the programs required for it correctly. I guess that highlights one of CrossOver's strengths compared to WINE; slightly more compatibility with some programs.

Quote Originally Posted by david_kt View Post
    You should use riched20 that comes with e-Sword, just need to override the wine dll with native dll.

DK
    Interesting. Is it needed though? As I had mentioned earlier, I didn't see the CrossOver tie file mentioning riched at all, so I assumed it wasn't needed as it's not in their official e-Sword install file... So far, I haven't seen any problems without it at least.
    Last edited by James78; March 6th, 2012 at 06:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by ;11742874
    Interesting. Is it needed though? As I had mentioned earlier, I didn't see the CrossOver tie file mentioning riched at all, so I assumed it wasn't needed as it's not in their official e-Sword install file... So far, I haven't seen any problems without it at least.
    riched20 is needed in e-Sword to display the text correctly. it's the dll for the rich text control. It's needed for a lot of things, but probably not for anything that has to do with audio. But as far as riched20 goes, it's not a bad idea to install the native dll with winetricks, since it's needed for a lot of things.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

On a fresh install of Pinguy OS, Wine version 1.4-rc6 and E-sword version 10.0.7.

Downloaded and ran the setup program from the terminal.

Installed with no problems, and upon a brief delay when opening the program, everything works except for the search function.

Noticed from some of the above posts that some files should be installed before installing E-sword. Will installing the files work after installing E-sword, or should I wipe it out and start fresh?

Page 80 of 85 FirstFirst ... 30707879808182 ... LastLast