I have tried a number of ways in properly installing e-sword under ubuntu (10.11 with all latest updates 18 Jan 12) and finally managed to have search and graphics functions working properly.
I have previously installed Wine 1.3.? and installed e-sword by double clicking on file which resulted in a sub-performance installation. Then un-installed both Wine and e-sword without cleaning up first, installed wine 1.2.3 and again installing e-sword by double clicking.
The installation was again poor.
I then tried this solution (david_kt's e-Sword_installer_301011) in an attempt to "rescue" the installation, but then I realized that the previous installation might have been so corrupted that these problems still remained after david's solution.
There was perhaps corruption that is not targeted by david's solution, and I also do not suggest that david's solution should target all and sundry problems.
So if you also have a totally wrecked installation after doing the same nonsense I did, you might find this another possible solution without any guarantees
I DO NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WINE OR FOR THAT MATTER LINUX INSTALLATION ISSUES - I STRICTLY FOLLOW PROCEDURES FOUND ON THE WEB
THIS IS JUST TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE
Using Wine 1.2.3 (running in WinXP mode) I have used a few other ways of installing of which I think the best summary is as follows:
1. After having installed and un-installed david_kt's e-Sword_installer_301011 (which I suspect rectifies a corrupted wine environment), I use winetricks -> select default wineprefix -> install dll ... -> and selected from the menu
I have since not worked exhaustively with e-sword and I am therefore not aware of any other possible problems.
mfc42; msls31; msxml3; msxml6; riched20; riched30; vb5run; wsh56vb; wsh57
I do not know whether all of these are required, but at least "mfc42, msls31 & riched20" as suggested by david_kt
2. Used "Configure Wine" to set "riched20" and "oleaut32" to "native(windows)" as per david_kt
3. Used "Uninstall Wine Software" (I know, funny name) to install "ESwordsetup1005.exe" (after install graphics worked, but not search)
4. Used "Uninstall Wine Software" to
a) un-install "ESwordsetup1005.exe" and although wine reports success, the programme is still listed as being installed,
b) and installed "ESwordsetup983.exe" in tandem
thereafter install search worked, but not graphics
5. Used "Uninstall Wine Software" to
a) again un-install "ESwordsetup983.exe"
b) and re-installed "ESwordsetup1005.exe"
after install BOTH search AND graphics WORKS.
Resolve : I suspect that there is a "environment component" installed by 983 that 1005 requires but is not installed by 1005 (obviously also the contribution of david_kt's e-Sword_installer_301011 to the environment) A nag is that both versions of e-sword is reported to be installed by Wine.
I will report on any further bugs, if any.