View Poll Results: How many Ubuntu problems have you solved using ubuntuforums.org?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • All of them!

88 43.56%
  • Some of them...

105 51.98%
  • Not a single one...

4 1.98%
  • Other (please tell)

5 2.48%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ubuntuforums.org is not helpful?

Beans

ubuntuforums.org is not helpful?

Hey everybody!
    I love ubuntu and respect all the forum members, but there's a thing that annoys me actually: I can't remember when I resolved problems with Ubuntu using this forum. Here and here and here are examples of it. It seems to me that the only functional and helpful thread is "Ubuntu Cafe" where I get all the answers on my questions... not related to the Ubuntu Linux directly. So let's be honest people. Is ubuntuforums.org useful and was it helpful for you?
    Last edited by PryGuy; April 6th, 2007 at 11:53 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: ubuntuforums.org is not helpful?

I've never had to ask a question here yet, so I can't say I've had all my questions answered. The problems I had were already answered.

What I do know is that quite a lot of the subforums get a huge amount of questions. In some of them, threads posted only one hour ago already go to the second page... It's easy for a thread to get lost that way. So, if your thread/question goes unanswered to the fourth page or so, just 'bump' it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

This is a good read and explain why some thread don't get answers sometimes :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=82471

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Yes, not all. But most off my problems were solved on this forum.

Maybe not directly by an answer I got on my requests. But by browsing and searching on older posts.

Never forget. This is not a commercial helpdesk, but just a bunch of interested users who share their experiences with you. Some will have a lot of experience. Others just a little.

Just to give you a clue on how I tackle my problems.

- First of all: Problem definition:
    Try to formulate as precisely as possible what is your problem. And try to relate this a exact as you can to a specific piece of the distribution.
    It only helps your troubleshooting if you know what is going wrong.

(PS. This is an exercise for yourself. No forum or external help is involved yet.)

- Second: Use the search function.
    I doubt if I ever will be the one and only user experiencing a certain problem. So most likely, there will be older post regarding this issue. If I can find those, I wont have to wait untill someone with the correct knwoledge reads my questions.

- Third. No similar problems found?
    Though luck. Maybe I didn't use the correct terms of reasch phrases. How can I rephrase my issue? Go back to step Two and try again.

- fourth: ok. Still no luck
    Google to the rescue!! Maybe another forum or guide does give me the clue I need.

- fifth: Do some reading on the site of the maintainer

- Last resort: Ask a question
    Post your questions here. Try to be specific in your titel. Most people don't read everythin. So you'll be more likely to get someone reading your post with a tile "Xorg doesn't start after recent upgrade", then with "Ubuntu sucks!! It doesn't start"

And now be patient and follow your topic. You might have to wait a few days before someone notices it. Don't worry. But be ready to answer questions when they are placed. If you can answer those questions fast, you again improve your chances of being helped by that guy who's interested. If he doesn't see an answer to his questions in the next ...., he migth just forget about the whole problem.

Beans

Most have been answered before -- if I do a proper search here and on google -- and the ones I've asked myself have a pretty good history of being solved. This is a very good forum I think. Helpful and friendly and well moderated. Props to all of you!

=D>

Beans
    Hidden!

I guess it makes sense that everyone voted "All of them" or "Some of them" so far; as those who do not get help might not stick around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've found the forums generally helpful.

I think the biggest problem is that Ubuntu attracts a lot of newcomers to world of linux, and by extension a lot of the members of ubuntuforums are relatively new to linux. That means that the number of people that are able to answer the harder questions is limited. As time progresses the collective user base will have more experience and therefore will be better able to answer hard questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graabein View Post
    Most have been answered before -- if I do a proper search here and on google -- and the ones I've asked myself have a pretty good history of being solved. This is a very good forum I think. Helpful and friendly and well moderated. Props to all of you!

=D>
    well put. unless i have a really obscure problem, i normally find my answer without having to create a new thread to ask about it.

and for people that are having difficulty finding answers on this forum: why not fire up xchat (or whatever yer favourite app is) and join #ubuntu or #ubuntuforums. there are many helpful people.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The 3500 other people who are on this forum right now probably disagree with you, as would the nearly 270,000 members. People wouldn't come here if it wasn't useful.

How come you only mentioned three of your threads, and not any of the other 59 that you've started, many involving problems that you've been having? Many of your problems have been successfully solved, such as Wifi not starting after reboot, pinging and computer names, resolution reducing to 640x480, turning off your pc with the power button (you even said, "Works for me!"), and so on.

So maybe saying that UF is not helpful is a bit of a kick in the teeth to the nice people who have taken the time to help you on these and other occasions...

If you don't mind some advice, you should try putting as much detail as possible into your posts. If you are too vague, people won't know where to start to help you. For example, in one post you complained that there was a dependency that was really big and you didn't want to download it if possible. Why not name the dependency? That would get you an answer. It's like posting "I have a problem with Edgy. Period." and complaining that nobody's helping you. People need some info. And even then, you might have a really strange problem that nobody knows how to fix.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by eentonig View Post
    Yes, not all. But most off my problems were solved on this forum.

- Last resort: Ask a question
    Post your questions here. Try to be specific in your titel. Most people don't read everythin. So you'll be more likely to get someone reading your post with a tile "Xorg doesn't start after recent upgrade", then with "Ubuntu sucks!! It doesn't start"
    I have to disagree there, I've seen plently of responses to to posts with titles such as "Ubuntu sucks! It doesn't start!" Whether the people reading the post will be helpful or up for some old-fashioned troll-crushing is another question all together

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast