Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Howto: setup a mail server in Ubuntu

Hello all. I've followed the howto basically to the letter, this time using Edgy, and I can queue and send messages with SMTPd with no problems, but IMAP keeps causing hiccups. Telnet and everything checks out OK, but when I login from a mail program, I get this when I tail /var/log/mail.info :

Nov 25 18:08:30 unendurablylonely imapd-ssl: LOGIN FAILED, user=tom, ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.1]
    Nov 25 18:08:30 unendurablylonely imapd-ssl: authentication error: Input/output error
    Nov 25 18:08:30 unendurablylonely authdaemond: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost, userid='mail'): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

All the databases check out as far as I can tell - I can log into MySQL using the mail/password account just fine when I use PHPMyAdmin.

I suspect that the Mysql client thing is the cause of the problem, but I don't understand what the big deal about authentication is. It's just a cleartext password, and I'm using the latest versions of the client and server from apt-get (5.0.24a).

I'm pretty much stumped. Help!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thegestetner View Post
    Hello all. I've followed the howto basically to the letter, this time using Edgy, and I can queue and send messages with SMTPd with no problems, but IMAP keeps causing hiccups. Telnet and everything checks out OK, but when I login from a mail program, I get this when I tail /var/log/mail.info :

Nov 25 18:08:30 unendurablylonely imapd-ssl: LOGIN FAILED, user=tom, ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.1]
    Nov 25 18:08:30 unendurablylonely imapd-ssl: authentication error: Input/output error
    Nov 25 18:08:30 unendurablylonely authdaemond: failed to connect to mysql server (server=localhost, userid='mail'): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client

All the databases check out as far as I can tell - I can log into MySQL using the mail/password account just fine when I use PHPMyAdmin.

I suspect that the Mysql client thing is the cause of the problem, but I don't understand what the big deal about authentication is. It's just a cleartext password, and I'm using the latest versions of the client and server from apt-get (5.0.24a).

I'm pretty much stumped. Help!

Seems the mysql conf of courier is not correct. hard to tell from the error. maybe courier dont work with mysql 5? is mysql set up to accept connections from localhost network or just sockets? is the mysql user defined set up as localhost only and also any hosts?

ps. are you sure tom should be the username? and not tom@somewhere.com?
    Cheers,
    Ivar (flurdy.com)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Thanks. I try to do it on my home computer before doing it elsewhere, it does not go well cause I have dynamic IP and domain name.
    Ubuntu Linux install+configuration+software installation: 3 hoours.
    WindowsXP install+configuration+software installation: 5 hours

Beans

I like your tutorial and appreciate the time you took to write it.

I have a question about relaying to another smtp server.

The issue I am having is using a relay server that requires authentication. I am actually using pobox.com as my relay server and it requires my username and password, where my username is a full email address.

I have found in the manual and in other tutorials that you can use commands like
    smpt_sasl_enabled = yes and so on
    I also created a smtp_sasl_passwd file and ran postman on that file to create the db file. However, I still get bounced messages.

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

Beans

Excellent guide.

I got a problem though
    I can telnet to port 10024 without any problems.

This is the second guide i'm following, the first one didnt work quite well.
    Therefore there can be some configuration errors that i might have missed.

Postfix says this:
    Aug 1 16:30:33 www postfix/qmgr[4223]: warning: connect to transport smtp-amavis: Connection refused

from main.cf:
    Code:
    content_filter = amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
    from my master.cf:
    Code:
    amavis unix        -       -       -       -       2       smtp
            -o smtp_data_done_timeout=1200
            -o smtp_send_xforward_command=yes
    Shouldn't the log say "connect to transport amavis: xxxxxx"? The filter was named smtp-amavis before (when I followed the old tutorial).

Anyone got any hints?

Edit: I've changed back to smtp-amavis in both master.cf and main.cf. Not it complains on "Aug 1 16:41:33 www postfix/qmgr[5595]: warning: connect to transport amavis: Connection refused". lol =)

----------

Another problem: I can't authenticate properly.

Aug 1 16:44:08 www imaplogin: Connection, ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100]
    Aug 1 16:44:08 www imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100], command=CAPABILITY
    Aug 1 16:44:12 www imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100], command=LOGIN
    Aug 1 16:44:12 www imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100], username=jonas
    Aug 1 16:44:12 www imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100], password=jonas
    Aug 1 16:44:12 www imaplogin: authdaemon: starting client module
    Aug 1 16:44:12 www imaplogin: authdaemon: REJECT
    Aug 1 16:44:17 www imaplogin: LOGIN FAILED, ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100]
    Aug 1 16:44:24 www imaplogin: LOGIN: DEBUG: ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100], command=LOGOUT
    Aug 1 16:44:24 www imaplogin: LOGOUT, ip=[::ffff:192.168.1.100]
    Last edited by Verifier; August 1st, 2007 at 03:47 PM.

Beans

I gave up trying to configure things my self. I use ISPconfig and it works fine.
    I do some manual additions some times, but in general the GUI given by it is fine.

Beans

Regarding the permissions issue (Net::Server: 2007/10/10-12:38:46 Couldn't open lock file "/var/run/amavis/amavisd.lock").

This may sound barbaric, but I just commented out the line that sets the permissions (in /etc/init.d/amavis, line 66, #chown -c -h "$1:$2" "$4") and left /var/run/amavis as being owned by amavis.

This seems to work just fine. My only question is if some other process decides to use amavis, will it continue to work? Also, I am starting this manually via sudo /etc/init.d/amavis start. Will it come up fine when rebooting?

This seems like it might be a bug, like, maybe the script should look to see if the daemon_user and gid are being set in the conf files and respect them, if so, and do the default behavior if not.
    Last edited by tedmasterweb; October 10th, 2007 at 01:19 PM.

Beans

I really enjoyed the tutorial as well. I too tried another first before finding this one by Flurdy.

I was able to get through most of it with only minor issues. I was testing along the way and it all seemed to be working until I tried to login through Squirrelmail or user IMAP remotely.

In both cases (linked I am sure since Squirrelmail is using IMAP), I get an empty inbox. The mail is being stored in /var/mail/virtual/username. I can browse there through Webmin and read the mail. But not so using IMAP.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

In this thread it says the network is directly go to outside world, I wonder how if the mail server behind the firewall. How it will be to configure it? I found noting to solve my problem.. Please assist me.. thank you.
    Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Remix.
    Ubuntu 10.04 Server edition.

Beans

You would need to forward the ports you require from the firewall to the mail server. You would also need to tell postfix about the firewall in the main.cf by virtue of the setting "proxy_interfaces = your. outside.IP.addy".

Hope this helps.

Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast