Thread: Suggestion: Dedicated emulator repo

Beans

Suggestion: Dedicated emulator repo

One thing that keeps me tied to Windows is all the excellent console/Arcade emulators that are supported. Unfortunately, Linux kinda gets the shaft in this dept. It would be awesome if there was a dedicated repo just for emulation that was kept up to date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Suggestion: Dedicated emulator repo

As far as Ive known Xmame and Xmess (as is zsnes, and dgen) I think are fairly well maintained on the official repositories.

outside of this need, what would you be talking about

Beans

Denzilla, I have wrote some howtos on compiling the latest version of emulators. If you have a request to something specific let me know.
    The problem with setting up a repo is it needs alot of bandweight
    My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Try elementary OS - https://elementary.io

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by compiledkernel View Post
    As far as Ive known Xmame and Xmess (as is zsnes, and dgen) I think are fairly well maintained on the official repositories.

outside of this need, what would you be talking about
    Oops, I forgot that the xmame maintainer must also keep his version of MAME updated. I thought that since mainline was up to version .114 that xmame was too. R.Belmont is working on a Linux port of Nestopia that I hope to also see in the repos. One question I do have is when a new version of xmame is released, will the repo be updated on is it like Ooo and FF where you're stuck with whatever version is available at the time of release?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Im not sure how the Canonical dudes are about back or foreporting, but the old backports project was all about that.

My friend Joao over at getdeb.net will probably port a deb if you ask him to. Hes usually pretty good on taking requests.

Honestly I think he should toss up a repo himself, but I think hes more about supplying the debs over actually maintaining a repo.

Beans

I would be awesome if a repo with backports of them could be setup. Thats the other stckler I have about Linux: Waiting for a new distro release to get updated apps. Too much is changed/improved with emulator releases for me to tolerate a 6 month wait.