Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: PCSX2 0.9.3 Released for Linux!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: PCSX2 0.9.3 Released for Linux!

Delete what you have (except your bios) and follow this.

Beans

thanks man, it actually worked, i could have saved a lot of grief if i had gone there in the first place

Beans

I compiled pcsx2 0.9.5 and all worked good. But one problem

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/9813/pcsx2zc2.png

Beans

i have a Pentium 4 with 3,06 GHz and a GeForce FX Go5600 with 128mb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Re: PCSX2 0.9.3 Released for Linux!

I've got a dual core 4.4 GHz amd64 machine with 2 GB RAM. I've tried FFX and it's super-laggy.

I've read through this entire thread and done what people suggest.
    • I didn't have the GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK set (checked nvidia-config).
    • I have all the options in the CPU configuration checked.
    • I compiled from the latest SVN sources.
    • I don't have beryl/compiz enabled.

I've read that Pete's MesaGL drivers work best, but those aren't available for amd64... any ideas what I can do to speed this up?

-Kalle.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Everything has compiled and I assume the program works fine and all, considering I was able to map my buttons to my USB controller and everything, but I can't run any games. When I click Run CD, a message box pops up saying "Error Opening GS Plugin."

Help?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Kallewoof View Post
    I've got a dual core 4.4 GHz amd64 machine with 2 GB RAM. I've tried FFX and it's super-laggy.

-Kalle.
    I think you mean that you have an AMD64 X2 4400+ processor. FYI, these CPUs do not run at 4400Ghz, that's just a model number. The 4400 runs at 2.3Ghz. The model number is a rough guess-timation of their power when compared to an Intel Pentium 4 class processor. Further, the P4 is Intel's old model that is no longer being produced. The current model is known as Core 2 Duo, and it is *much* faster per-clock. In summary, the 4400 model number is just a marketing tool.

I think there are two reasons FFX seems slow to you:

1 - The bottom line is that PCSX2 requires a *very* powerful machine to emulate any 3D game at full speed. Some games cannot even be emulated at full speed on the newest and most powerful gaming rigs that can be bought today. Your CPU is simply not powerful enough to emulate FFX at 60fps. Heck, even my rig with an Intel C2D E6600 overclocked to 3Ghz (from 2.4Ghz) does not run FFX at full speed all the time.

2 - Frame rate (fps) in PCSX2 does not work the same as it does on PC games. If your frame rate in PCSX2 is 30fps then the game will actually be running at *half* the speed it would on a PS2 and will appear to be moving in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n. In order to have full speed you must get 60fps (NTSC, 50 if PAL). If you want more explanation I suggest searching for past posts on the PCSX2 forums as this question comes up quite often. I don't suggest asking it again, you'll likely get flamed by all the users who are tired of hearing it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by liquidypoo View Post
    Everything has compiled and I assume the program works fine and all, considering I was able to map my buttons to my USB controller and everything, but I can't run any games. When I click Run CD, a message box pops up saying "Error Opening GS Plugin."

Help?
    Have you configured all your plugins? Was one or more GS plugins listed? If so, try the PCSX2 forums (pcsx2.net->forums).

If no plugin is listed, then it didn't compile. Delete what you have, except your bios, and follow my guide. Just copy/paste the code blocks into a terminal and it will do everything for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Barius,

Thanks for the reply, but you've confused me thoroughly. Firstly.

Quote Originally Posted by barius View Post
    I think you mean that you have an AMD64 X2 4400+ processor. FYI, these CPUs do not run at 4400Ghz, that's just a model number. The 4400 runs at 2.3Ghz.
    $ cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    [...]
    cpu MHz : 2211.357
    [...]
    processor : 1
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    [...]
    cpu MHz : 2211.357
    2211.357 + 2211.357 = 4422.714 MHz = 4.4 GHz. Not sure how else you would interpret it. Unless you meant that by "dual core 4.4 GHz" one'd expect 2 x 4.4 GHz = 8.8 GHz total. I guess that's a matter of interpretation and in that case you're right that it's a marketing tool only.

I think there are two reasons FFX seems slow to you:

1 - The bottom line is that PCSX2 requires a *very* powerful machine to emulate any 3D game at full speed. Some games cannot even be emulated at full speed on the newest and most powerful gaming rigs that can be bought today. Your CPU is simply not powerful enough to emulate FFX at 60fps. Heck, even my rig with an Intel C2D E6600 overclocked to 3Ghz (from 2.4Ghz) does not run FFX at full speed all the time.
    This is the part where I get confused. Lots of people quote hardware that is equal or less to what I have and claim it should or does play FFX fine. By "fine" I presumed they didn't mean the game went at 0.1x

2 - Frame rate (fps) in PCSX2 does not work the same as it does on PC games. If your frame rate in PCSX2 is 30fps then the game will actually be running at *half* the speed it would on a PS2 and will appear to be moving in s-l-o-w m-o-t-i-o-n. In order to have full speed you must get 60fps (NTSC, 50 if PAL). If you want more explanation I suggest searching for past posts on the PCSX2 forums as this question comes up quite often. I don't suggest asking it again, you'll likely get flamed by all the users who are tired of hearing it.
    Ahh, didn't know that (frame rate deal). As for getting flamed, I guess that's a chance you have to take whenever you post anywhere. I read through the whole thread and tried everything I could see and by the nature of replies to other posters it didn't seem like anyone got flamed. Unless they were being idiotic.

I'll look at the PCSX2 forums. Thanks for taking the time.

-Kalle.

Beans
    Distro

2211.357 + 2211.357 = 4422.714 MHz = 4.4 GHz. Not sure how else you would interpret it. Unless you meant that by "dual core 4.4 GHz" one'd expect 2 x 4.4 GHz = 8.8 GHz total. I guess that's a matter of interpretation and in that case you're right that it's a marketing tool only.
    That is an interesting coincidence, I hadn't noticed it before. I am quite sure, however, that the numbers are references to Intels' Ghz numbers. AMD spent years trying to get consumers to understand that those numbers are meaningless (I won't go into details), but in the end they gave up on the high road and just started labeling their models in such a way as to make them look equivalent or better to Intel's models. The fact is, those numbers are only marginally meaningful when compared to the Intel Pentium 4 architecture, which was surpassed years ago by newer models. The Intel C2D is roughly 40% faster per-clock than an AMD X2 when playing PCSX2. Keep in mind though that other applications aren't likely to see quite that much of a difference, but from various benchmarks I'd guesstimate the C2D is about 20% faster per-clock on average.

This is the part where I get confused. Lots of people quote hardware that is equal or less to what I have and claim it should or does play FFX fine. By "fine" I presumed they didn't mean the game went at 0.1x
    Most likely their idea of 'fine' is simply to play the game at half speed. I got about 1/4 thru FFX on my old machine running at 20fps and it was still pretty fun. However, if you're trying to enjoy a game for the first time you'll get the best experience from your PS2.

There's another possibility though, it is more than likely at least some of them were overclocking their CPUs. FYI, 'overclocking' is when you turn up the clock speed of your CPU by using tools included in most PC BIOSes. The Intel C2D is known to 'oc' significantly with little effort, so an E6300 can often be oc'd from 1.8Ghz all the way to 3.0Ghz (+1.2), practically doubling it's speed for free. The AMD64 X2 series can also oc a fair amount, but not nearly as much as the C2D. The most common oc I've seen for your CPU is about 2.8Ghz (+0.6).

You'll find that most of the 'power users' on the PCSX2 forums are avid oc'ers. This is why some of them seem to get amazing speeds. If you don't know what oc'ing is, then don't try it until you read a few guides because you can damage your hardware.

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast