Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-release testers wanted

Beans

Re: Wubi-7.04-beta-v2 pre-release testers wanted

Do you have a sata disk? What do you see under "/tmp"? What do you see under "/" The command to show folder content is "ls" (that is LS in lower case). Append here the content of / and /tmp as well as C:\menu.lst...

Beans

Well, I don't know what a sata disk is, but this is what I get...
    / Access denied
    /tmp Access denied
    C:/menu.lst Does not exist
    Last edited by ago; April 2nd, 2007 at 10:15 PM.

Beans

did you do "ls /"? And "ls /tmp"?

As for C:\menu.lst it must exist or you would not see any "loading..." message, you access that from windows not form linux.

Beans

I tried out minefield9 yesterday and it worked great. Today I'm installing again (minefield10),

*edit*

works great. (error -see later post) glad to see um, /media/host/ as the drive that wubi is on. I would love to see all disks listed there by label, or something like that. (All my disks don't appear under 'places'...) Yes, i know you guys will get around to doing something aestetically neato for this eventually.

The installer still brings my username "Administrator" in uppercase.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by tomcat23a; April 3rd, 2007 at 09:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Hi! I tried the minefield10 installation. Had some problems installing it. I found one intresting thing. The grub don't tolerate fragmented disk. So, i defragmented it, but windows only make files contiguouos and leaves the disk looking like chees. So this didn't help. Ok, i uninstalled and then reinstalled ubuntu again, but this time i defragmented disk after wubi install and before reboot, and then everything worked...

EDIT: I think that this is a major problem. Is this possible to defragment the disk before the installation automaticli?

The second problem that i had. The fat filesystem don't support files bigger than 4gb. So, when the wubi installer creates images it skips the root image.

The third problem was that i couldn't choose default disk location for installation. So the installer choose the bigger free space on my fat partition.
    Last edited by myoldryn; April 3rd, 2007 at 02:48 PM.
    OpenMoKo -> "Free Your Phone"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by myoldryn View Post
    EDIT: I think that this is a major problem. Is this possible to defragment the disk before the installation automaticli?
    That is always a problem when initrd and/or kernel are fragmented. But that is relatively unlikely. Fragmentation of root.img on ntfs should be safe. As for the fragmentation of root.img on fat, I do not know.

The second problem that i had. The fat filesystem don't support files bigger than 4gb. So, when the wubi installer creates images it skips the root image.
    Yes we are aware of that. That fix has already been committed and it will be in new releases.

The third problem was that i couldn't choose default disk location for installation. So the installer choose the bigger free space on my fat partition.
    You can simply move the wubi folder to a different partition. There is a lock on the files at the moment (it should not affect fat though), that will be removed in future versions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    did you do "ls /"? And "ls /tmp"?

As for C:\menu.lst it must exist or you would not see any "loading..." message, you access that from windows not form linux.
    Okay, I guess I was doing it wrong... This is what I got this time:

ls /tmp zenigata.log
    ls C:/menu.lst no such file or directory

I'm still not sure why it says that for menu.lst...

Beans

C:\menu.lst is in windows. When you are in windows you will see it. But what is important is the output of

more /tmp/zenigata.log

There should be some errors in there, you can post them here. You can scroll the page by pressing enter.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Ok... i have encountered new problems:

1. When i install, then the installer reports that it can't install preseed..or something...after i press continue, then the red screen appears and text is scrolling really fast...after hard-reboot everything seems ok...,but
    2. When i try to update system, then the update manager crashes... if i try to install manually with apt-get, then i get errors... it have to do smoething with udev and initramfs-tools...

When i installed beta earlier on dedicated partition, then there was no problems..
    OpenMoKo -> "Free Your Phone"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    C:\menu.lst is in windows. When you are in windows you will see it. But what is important is the output of

more /tmp/zenigata.log

There should be some errors in there, you can post them here. You can scroll the page by pressing enter.
    Whoa, that's a big log (of course, what do I know?)... Found a big line with ERR_ and the end looked like there were some errors, but otherwise it all looked okay.
    About one fourth into the log, I found this:
    Code:
    ERR_MNT_ROOT=1
    ERR_NO_INIT=2
    ERR_RUN_INIT=3
    ERR_MNT_HOST=4
    ERR_NO_HOST=5
    ERR_LOOP_ROOT=6
    ERR_LOOP_HOME=7
    ERR_LOOP_SWAP=8
    ERR_LOOP_EXTRA=9
    ERR_MNT_ISO=10
    ERR_NO_ISO=11
    ERR_INVALID_ISO=12
    ERR_LOOP_ISO=13
    ERR_NO_PRESEED=14
    ERR_FAIL=15
    ERR_MNT=16
    ERR_LIVE_ISO=17
    ERR_ALTERNATE_ISO=18
    ERR_NO_FILESYSTEM=19
    ERR_WRONG_FILESYSTEM=20
    And at the end of the log...

Code:
    log_warning_msg Could not find host...
    _log_msg_warning  Could not find host...
    warning:  Could not find host...
    return 5
    log_Failure_msg Could not find host folder, please check boot parameters.
    _log_msg Failure: Could not find host folder, please check boot parameters.
    echo Failure: Could not find host folder, please check boot parameters.
    Failure: Could not find host folder, please check boot parameters.
    Hope these are of any use to you... there were many times it said something was unknown, but it never said it was an error so I didn't write it down.

Oh, and is there a better way to get this log to you (besides writing it down)? That would be very useful.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast