Thread: Northeastern PA meetup. Who, what, where, and how?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Northeastern PA meetup. Who, what, where, and how?

Let's talk about the Northeastern area of the state meeting up... Come on Berwick, Bloomsburg, and Wilkes Barre. Let's see if there is a time and place that will work!
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Northeastern PA meetup. Who, what, where, and how?

So Bret, whats the purpose of these meetups? Do we just get together and swap war stories? Or is there an "agenda" that needs to be followed. Are we supposed to come up with recommendations or suggestions for future releases? There are two of us who work in Wilkes-Barre and two who live in the Berwick/Bloomsburg area. I'm open to suggestions. A little more info would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I messed up my posting earlier sorry for the delay!

There are no hard and fast rules for meetups. I think it is important to swap war stories and to build personal relationships (that's what's so great about the community). The primary goal is to put together local programs which spread the word about Ubuntu. I like programs that increase awareness while helping the local community, like computer donation and refurbishment (installed with Ubuntu) programs and new and different ways to get more people aware of Ubuntu and Linux. But really it is up to local people what they want to do and what they can do to help spread Ubuntu. Each group will be unique (because no group will have the exactly the same mix of people).

What the Pennsylvania LoCo will do is foster these local groups, try to supply the groups with disks and information for their programs, and to unify the efforts across the state and to work with other states as well.

Let's talk about what you guys want to do up there and see how everyone can help!
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

OK, I'm up for it. Who wants to meet in Wilkes-Barre say late April, early May? If we meet on a Saturday or Sunday we can use my office or an empty space that the manager allows me to use for my magic club. (I'm a part time professional magician.)

Lets hear it NE PA. We might be small in numbers but we're big in heart! (How's that for a hokey rallying cry?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

Saturday, September 15, 2007 is Software Freedom Day. The goal of the Susquehanna County Software Freedom Day 2007 project is to educate the public about the virtues and availability of Free and Open Source Software.

Everyone is welcome to our event and Ubunteros could set up a table and distribute t-shirts, CDs, DVDs, and other literature, etc. Last year we passed out about a dozen copies of TheOpenCD and a few Edubuntu CDs.

Currently the date is the only definite. We have discussed some ideas including presentations, demonstrations, promotions, dinner with keynote speaker, etc. A design-a-localized tux is in the works with winners announced at the Harford Fair in August.

The contest would be for a logo and for a stuffed tux. The stuffed tux idea is being very well received.

The event will be more of a FLOSS day than a Linux Meet-up but could be a great time for Ubunteros to gather.

Mark September 15 on your calendar now.

Beans

I will go. I will also be in State College this weekend playing a show/giving out Ubuntu 6.10 isos and demoing my laptop.