Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wubi Feedback

Beans

Wubi Feedback

Use this thread to tell us what you think about Wubi. Do you like it? Do you hate it? Let us know!

Beans

Re: Wubi Feedback

I personally think wubi is an excellent idea and something that probably should have been done a long time ago!

Thankyou very much for this awesome tool.
    Using ubuntu offline?
    Want to install new programs?
    Check out wubdepends
    If Stupidity got us into this mess,
    then why can’t it get us out?

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you need internet, or do you download it just from the installer and the Wubi program?

Beans

I think it is really good starting with beta....I have been working on this for a few weeks now and it has come a long way in that little time.

Now that beta is out and we are past the herd my wireless works (intel 3495) my screen doesn't take five mins to scroll anymore.

All I need now is my bluetooth mouse and beryl working and I'll be happy. Now when I try to install beryl I break the video totally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Partitioning/Resizing is the biggest barrier to Linux adoption for Windows users.

Wubi is a great way to test Linux, BUT, the majority of people and novices have just one big Windows ntfs partition with both OS and Data, and they will install wubi on that one. It should be fair to tell them that they will never be able to work on their existing windows data/files with Ubuntu and that unique partition.

I point here this restriction because some novice people already asked me if they could.

Regards,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Oedipe View Post
    It should be fair to tell them that they will never be able to work on their existing windows data/files with Ubuntu and that unique partition.
    Yes they can: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=396629

Beans
    Hidden!

The Windows based installer import information from windows to ubuntu so in the first run of ubuntu the user don't have to define any thing.
    The installer import from windows bookmark to firefox, internet composition, screen resolution, font size, mail define to Evolution, message (msn,icq…) to gaim…..

Windows to linux application, for example:
    If the users have in windows google earth the installer install google earth on ubuntu
    Windows Skype - linux skype…

Flash java…and all files formats

All the latest updates will be downloaded

Create a small file so that when the user click on the file it will automatic download the latest version of wubi and run it

Don’t ask the user for username in wubi and in reboot, create one like my document, my home…

Give an example like, you will need this password to add/remove programs

Auto Shortcuts on the desktop to windows hard discs (read and write) by default.

Add Wubi to Ubuntu live cd, so when the user run Ubuntu live cd on windows Wubi will popup.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    O.K. That's great !

I thought that Wubi-Ubuntu could only manage ntfs files on other ntfs partitions/disks, but not on the partition where it was installed.

Sorry to have misunderstood the matter. That's really good news

Beans

Hi All,

I just tried 7.04beta and I got a bad iso file - the exact steps were:
    1. double click the exe, press next until it starts downloading the iso file.
    2. give it lots of time
    3. come back the next morning to see it aborted with a message URL PARTS ERROR
    4. Try to rerun it, it completes this time because it finds the (broken) iso file.
    5. reboot when it tells me to.
    6. the boot loader has an added entry for ubuntu, when choosing it nothing happens (the computer stops).

So - I guess this is two bugs in one:
    1. Fails to download iso file with strange (for first time users) message.
    2. Doesn't delete iso image when it is bad (or doesn't recognize a given iso image is bad - I think there should be a, perhaps optional, md5 checksum stage before actual installation, with an option to redownload if the checksum fails)

Anyway, I think it would be a great way to gain new followers^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^HUsers once it works, so keep up the good work!

Alon
    (alon is just another linux user).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aijalu View Post
    Hi All,

I just tried 7.04beta and I got a bad iso file
    It's a large download (~700MB) and if there are problems with the line it will fail. But the next version will include auto-resume (thanks to Hampus).

4. Try to rerun it, it completes this time because it finds the (broken) iso file.
    That's strange, we already use md5, thx, we'll look into it. Are you sure you did not have other ISOs laying around?

Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast