Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

Beans

Re: Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

hi there! my internet connection went down the other day so i wasn't here.
    i said i'll rewrite the article with banshee. well... i didn't do that yet. and i'll probabaly won't do it until monday, because it's easter and i want to concentrate on other things.
    i've read through all the posts wirtten.

stoian, people here don't write gramatical english because it's faster. the magazine however will be written properly.
    i see we've grown and i'm enjoying the digg.com thing. very nice how many people are taking interest in this project. also i like that people actually started writing articles on the wiki.

about the licence i agree with it.

may i suggest to make an #ubuntu-mag channel on freenode? that would make things much easier in the future when this forum will start to be too slow. but i think this is not needed now. maybe later.

happy easter everyone! cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mykalreborn View Post
    may i suggest to make an #ubuntu-mag channel on freenode? that would make things much easier in the future when this forum will start to be too slow. but i think this is not needed now.
    I personally think this is a good idea if the channel can be logged in irc logs so that those not present at the time can catch anything said without them.

The creative commons issue is an interesting one, the cc version you suggest is fine if you are going to edit the content authors have submitted for the mag, but this very reason why one has already publicly decided not to contribute. I personally feel that if individuals wanted to post an article without editting by a third party then they should be able to add a stronger copyright/cc version on it. This is not to say that the author cannot amend the article themselves and resubmit, that way they keep the licence in tact.

may i suggest to make an #ubuntu-mag channel on freenode?
    I personally think this is a good idea if the channel can be logged in irc logs so that those not present at the time can catch anything said without them.
    I think both these ideas are good, maybe we should also elect someone to go through the log every 24 hours, and post the main points here. This would also save people having to trawl through the log (If they don't want to), and allow people without IRC to catch up quickly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hello:

I finished reading though this thread and like to let all of you know that you are doing a good job, getting this thing started. I have only one comment to make though, since I read something that was very disturbing to me. Which was requiring the people that wrote the articles to comply to the standards specified by the documentation team for ubuntu documentation.

This is a very bad idea, since it will restrict the free exchange of ideas. I am under the impression since this is a electronic publication that it is not for profit and not accept advertising.

In documentation you want to make it seem like as few people as possible wrote it, even if hundreds of people wrote it. This isn't documentation; For example, you can use either compile the source from a tar-ball, download a debain package from debian, use sudo apt-get or synaptic from Gnome who cares they all do the same thing. Which is install a software package on your system.

Technical restrictions on the content of the articles is going to make them dry and boring [in other words just like documentation].

Good Work People;
    Peace

Mike Feravolo
    Principal Engineer
    Cocoa Beach, Florida
    Last edited by feravolo; April 6th, 2007 at 01:44 PM. Reason: typos

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi feravolo

The document your referring to is a guideline and i take it as just that... a guide, line. It's just a point of reference for writing an article. I would NEVER knock back an article because it doesn't conform to the ubuntu documentation standards!

Once we get #0 out and get the website up and running, get an IRC channel and then we can get all the magazine rules set up as there is quite a bit of confusion between people at times...

Quote Originally Posted by feravolo View Post
    Hello:

I finished reading though this thread and like to let all of you know that you are doing a good job, getting this thing started. I have only one comment to make though, since I read something that was very disturbing to me. Which was requiring the people that wrote the articles to comply to the standards specified by the documentation team for ubuntu documentation.

This is a very bad idea, since it will restrict the free exchange of ideas. I am under the impression since this is a electronic publication that it is not for profit and not accept advertising.

In documentation you want to make it seem like as few people as possible wrote it, even if hundreds of people wrote it. This isn't documentation; For example, you can use either compile the source from a tar-ball, download a debain package from debian, use sudo apt-get or synaptic from Gnome who cares they all do the same thing. Which is install a software package on your system.

Technical restrictions on the content of the articles is going to make them dry and boring [in other words just like documentation].

Good Work People;
    Peace

Mike Feravolo
    Principal Engineer
    Cocoa Beach, Florida
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lightbulb Re: Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

article idea for someone ;

Have a look through :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=301019
    and compile the Top 10 Apps 'I can't live without' as voted for by the community...
    Ronnie
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thank You for your reply to my post:

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    . . . I would NEVER knock back an article because it doesn't conform to the ubuntu documentation standards! . . . .
    I was hoping that you would say that, please take no offense. I would like to help contribute to the magazine some time in the future, I am currently coming up to speed with the different flavors of Ubuntu and the Groovy programming language.

I am looking forward to the first issue,

Mike

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking fullcircle #0 - beta3 !

Here's beta3!

it's available from ;
    http://www.ronnietucker.co.uk/issue0_2.pdf
    PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO THIS FILE AS IT IS ON MY OWN WEB SERVER!
    FEEL FREE TO MIRROR IT ELSEWHERE THOUGH...

b3 updates:
    added the Creative Commons License to the index page
    added some 'thanks to' on p.1, if i've missed you out, email me!
    added Edgy page (p.8)

still to do:
    insert final cover
    add Feisty article
    add 'How to Burn an ISO file in Windows' article
    add page detailing how readers can help (wiki, this forum, etc)

NEARLY THERE!

Still need ideas for a Feisty theme'd cover...
    Last edited by ronniet; April 7th, 2007 at 02:37 AM.
    Ronnie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: fullcircle #0 - beta3 !

Double post.
    Last edited by linuxgeekery; April 7th, 2007 at 02:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: fullcircle #0 - beta3 !

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    Here's beta3!

it's available from ;
    http://www.ronnietucker.co.uk/issue0_2.pdf
    PLEASE DO NOT LINK TO THIS FILE AS IT IS ON MY OWN WEB SERVER!
    FEEL FREE TO MIRROR IT ELSEWHERE THOUGH...

b3 updates:
    added the Creative Commons License to the index page
    added some 'thanks to' on p.1, if i've missed you out, email me!
    added Edgy page (p.8)

still to do:
    add Feisty article
    add 'How to Burn an ISO file in Windows' article
    add page detailing how readers can help (wiki, this forum, etc)

NEARLY THERE!
    Mirrored here 20GB/month bandwith is good

Page 40 of 53 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast