Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Help me make a free 'buntu emag...

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
    Well I say one because it's already written, although I would expand it quite a bit. I just say that because I don't want to commit to doing it monthly. That doesn't mean I won't, it just means I don't want the commitment.
    Thats ok, i'm just joking with you...
    Every article counts. If its a big article then I could cut it into two or more issues...
    Ronnie
    Editor, Full Circle - The FREE Independent Magazine for the Ubuntu Community
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I did a quick cover mockup. I'm not an expert in layout/graphics by any definition, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'd like it to be monthly and be available as a download from a website. Maybe some sort of mailing/subscribers list to let people know an issue is out?
    I'll try to whip up a quick script we could use for email distribution.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by linuxgeekery View Post
    I did a quick cover mockup. I'm not an expert in layout/graphics by any definition, but I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll try to whip up a quick script we could use for email distribution.
    Thanks man , all help is greatly appreciated... i've still to look into a site builder (Joomla, Drupal etc) but I did make a start on a logo idea for the mag... all comments welcome...
    Ronnie
    Official Ubuntu Member | Registered Linux User # 456627 | Registered Ubuntu User # 18227

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi, about the logo i think shouldn't be so blurred, and the "Circle" shouldn't be upside-down, but mirrored, like Full, but distorted downwards, i don't know if you understand me.

i think this is a great idea , i would like to help, but when my english gets better, as of right now, i can barely write coherent sutff.

-Acgla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    Thanks man , all help is greatly appreciated... i've still to look into a site builder (Joomla, Drupal etc) but I did make a start on a logo idea for the mag... all comments welcome...
    As for the mailer - here ya go! I didn't even have to code it myself It's an LGPL'd PHP mass-mailer. You include functions from it into a PHP script of your own creation. Seems like it should work well.

One nice feature is that it can pull email addresses and attachments from a MySQL database. Make a sign up form that puts the email addresses into a MySQL database, tell another script to mail out new issue notices monthly, and there's an mass-mailer that fits our needs perfectly.

Also, do you think we should stick with the Ubuntu browns/oranges/etc. color scheme or do something else?

EDIT: Here's a rough mailer script using PHPMailer. I think I probably screwed up in the SQL I've never really used SQL, so...

Still working on the front end.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by linuxgeekery; March 31st, 2007 at 02:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

... Also, do you think we should stick with the Ubuntu browns/oranges/etc. color scheme or do something else?
    Well i'm trying to NOT use the browns and oranges only, i'm trying to use the orange of Gnome and the blue of KDE to keep the mag neutral...

Here's a quick mock-up cover...
    Ronnie

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

(sorry for being too impatient to read the thread in its entirety)

An ubuntu magazine in paper form (a "real" magazine) would seem a thing there should soon be a market for.

And even in digital form, a free for all, editorialized magazine should be very popular. Just pick the best news and howtos (digg.com is ripe with those) and add some own content. Best of luck!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ronniet View Post
    Well i'm trying to NOT use the browns and oranges only, i'm trying to use the orange of Gnome and the blue of KDE to keep the mag neutral...

Here's a quick mock-up cover...
    Looks pretty good, but needs a better font.

EDIT: Anyone want to do some testing on my script and phpMailer? I don't have the resources (read: no idea how to set up the mySQL)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Looks pretty good, but needs a better font.
    Which bit needs a better font? The logo or the headers?...

UPDATE: having looked over the cover again, i'm quite sure you mean the headers font! It's definitely getting changed for something a bit less stuffy/boring!
    Last edited by ronniet; March 31st, 2007 at 04:09 AM. Reason: looked properly... :D
    Ronnie

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, should've clarified. Just my opinion, but the body/header fonts (describing the articles inside) should match a bit better with the logo and header.
    Last edited by linuxgeekery; March 31st, 2007 at 05:52 PM.

Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast