Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DAOC in Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: DAOC in Wine

The "fixme" messages are just notes made by the developers to indicate when a function is either not implemented or incomplete. Generally speaking, you can't do anything about them until Wine completes or implements that particular function in a newer version.

I don't really know what that "Wine failed with return code 1" means, but every time I have seen it, it seems to just mean "Wine didn't work".

Linux User #355330 | Ubuntu User #15618 | Last.FM

Beans

thank you for the explaination

Beans

In my, admittedly limited, experience, DAoC does not run in the latest version of WINE, but it works in 0.9.47 just fine. The mouse pointer, however, is invisible.
    This is a major improvement over Cedega, in which it runs perfectly for a few minutes, then locks the entire computer up.
    I'm told that that must be a driver issue since after all, it couldn't possibly be the great messiah Cedega not working right but I don't see any indication of a problem anywhere else, and i've tried all the 'usual suspects' measures I can think of. No-one has responded to me so far when I ask around trying to figure it out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have gotten catacombs working, however it runs pretty slow (ihave an intel centrino duo core, 1gb ram) and the mouse cursor does not show up.

also, whatever you do... DO NOT, i repeat DO NOT try to select the windowed mode from the char select screen. I did this and daoc will crap on you. You will only be able to use the quick select menu to log on, and if you /quit it drops to char select screen which is all messed up.

So, it does run, but it's not really playable unless you are solo and moving really slow

I did try the "patch" but it couldnt find a file, so still no mouse cursor.

I am going to install windows in vmware and then try to install daoc and play it. I'll reply here if that works well for me.

Beans
    Distro

It won't work, VMware can't do 3D gaming. It only does basic VGA and VESA emulation, not accelerated graphics.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

ah, i forgot about that...

back to a dual boot setup then...

thanks for reminding me cogadh!

Beans

I can start it, but it can't connect to the update server. This is what I get:

pck@pck-desktop:/mnt/sdb1/Mythic/Catacombs$ wine camelot.exe
    preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
    err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
    err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on C-Media USB Headphone Set , disabling mixer
    preloader: Warning: failed to reserve range 00000000-60000000
    err:dosmem:setup_dos_mem Cannot use first megabyte for DOS address space, please report
    philip@philip-desktop:/mnt/sdb1/Mythic/Catacombs$ err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on C-Media USB Headphone Set , disabling mixer
    fixme:shdocvwersistStorage_InitNew (0x7f029d18)->(0x7f5c0ee8)
    fixme:wininet:INET_QueryOptionHelper INTERNET_OPTION_CONNECTED_STATE: semi-stub
    fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x7f029d18)->(1)
    Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Fix those preloader errors:
    http://wiki.winehq.org/PreloaderPageZeroProblem
    then try running the game again.

Beans

I posted this in the other forum, but I guess I'll post here too. DAOC under wine now seems to be very good. I didn't even need to compile from source.

It is pretty straightforward but you need to disable some stuff. See the info here: http://govtbad.blogspot.com/2008/12/...buntu-810.html That link shows some of the issues too (no more mouse issues).

Hopefully some more people come back to play daoc it's much better than those other games

Beans

Hello,

I am in slight need of further advice as to how I use the Winecfg to change settings. I am probably missing something basic as to how to do this.

I have used winetricks to change settings so far but it is not obvious to me when looking at the winecfg.

Best Regards & thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12