Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by eddyr View Post
    I inserted disc 2 in just so it prompts me for disc 1 ( haven't completed disc 1) and have yet to make a successful image swap.

just curious.
    it sounds like you were unable to make a image swap? my Riven discs are virtual unusable, so I tried your method of inserting the original disc 2 (of FFVIII, btw) until I came to the prompt where it told me to please insert disc 1. pressing eject on the CD drive resulted in a "Unable to eject medium" error, and so I went to File > Eject CD in pSX. Then I pressed eject on my drive tray again and it ejected the CD. Inserted the original Disc 1, went to File > Insert CD Drive and then waited about 1 min (about 30 secs for ubuntu to load disc, and then another 30 or so for pSX to spin up and recognize disc). It worked fine, the opening FMV started playing. I will try to make an image of FFVII discs 1+2, and see whether using images is your problem. What format is your game CD in, like .bin, .ccd, .cdz, .iso, etc?

For those of you interested, a new .deb will soon be released with Ultima's (from pSX forums) pSX Frontend for linux. This frontend basically allows you to reach the undocumented commandline switches for pSX (like enabling the debugger), and also things like making custom settings for each game, and the ability to autoload the last saved state. It probably does more but I have yet to test it out fully. You can install the frontend alongside of pSX, and it makes absolutely NO changes to the original pSX binary or psx.ini file (so basically it will not mess up your settings). It IS a work in progress build, so anyone using it should report any bugs on Ultima's thread.
    Last edited by dfreer; May 1st, 2007 at 05:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

this may be a dumb question but i don't see keymapping for quick save state, only quick load. am i missing it?

Beans

the default keys are F1-F5 for quick load 1-5, and F6-F10 for quick save 1-5.
    They are both listed under the "Quicksave" section on the default frontend, so you prolly just missed it.
    It doesn't look like you can modify these keys (I looked through the psx.ini file and the configuration options).

BTW, if you have a PS2 BIOS you can run it through pSX, although you will need to know the commandline switch or Ultima's pSX frontend to do so. However, it sounds like running the BIOS is about all pSX can accomplish ATM, you may want to look into pcsx2 for PS2 emulation.

Gotta go back to work, still gotta get the frontend and links fixed in the post above... *sigh*

Beans

http://www.dfreer.org/~dfreer/pSX/pS...latest_all.deb

Here's ultima's frontend. Try it out see if you like it. It will install on top of the original pSX, and you can install/remove it without messing up pSX at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    it sounds like you were unable to make a image swap? my Riven discs are virtual unusable, so I tried your method of inserting the original disc 2 (of FFVIII, btw) until I came to the prompt where it told me to please insert disc 1. pressing eject on the CD drive resulted in a "Unable to eject medium" error, and so I went to File > Eject CD in pSX. Then I pressed eject on my drive tray again and it ejected the CD. Inserted the original Disc 1, went to File > Insert CD Drive and then waited about 1 min (about 30 secs for ubuntu to load disc, and then another 30 or so for pSX to spin up and recognize disc). It worked fine, the opening FMV started playing. I will try to make an image of FFVII discs 1+2, and see whether using images is your problem. What format is your game CD in, like .bin, .ccd, .cdz, .iso, etc?

For those of you interested, a new .deb will soon be released with Ultima's (from pSX forums) pSX Frontend for linux. This frontend basically allows you to reach the undocumented commandline switches for pSX (like enabling the debugger), and also things like making custom settings for each game, and the ability to autoload the last saved state. It probably does more but I have yet to test it out fully. You can install the frontend alongside of pSX, and it makes absolutely NO changes to the original pSX binary or psx.ini file (so basically it will not mess up your settings). It IS a work in progress build, so anyone using it should report any bugs on Ultima's thread.
    it's a .img file. Judging from your results, i believe it should work. I didn't really test it out....might try it tonight.

Beans

ok, I got everything working, but one last question: do I need actual ps1 discs to play? Or are they available online somewhere. All my old games are at home...

Cory

Beans

well the actual ps1 discs that you own will work fine. and pSX can play images stored on the hard drive in .bin/.cdz image formats. We here at ubuntu forums will not condone the sharing of playstation games online, much less provide you with the means to find playstations CD's online, as we are upstanding citizens and blah blah blah.

on a completely unrelated side note, here is my favorite bittorrent search engine site:
    http://www.isohunt.com
    and my favorite online search engine:
    http://www.google.com
    and here is what I use to burn .ccd images to disc in windows:
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

i'm pretty sure i've seen a disc or two in .img and other formats *magically* work in pSX. they are probably just misnamed.
    basically a .bin file is the only thing you can be confident you'll work.

hmm yes www.isohunt.com is a great place to get lots of public domain content. i hear some people use it for illegal stuff, shame on them.

i like utorrent (through wine) for a client. search these forums for the howto.

Beans

Dfreer:
    Hey there again, i updated to Feisty and it seems i have both problem updating and removing the old one
    However the previus version (the one i used first and also wrote the reply about) still works perfectly fine

So well... wish i could update and test your new but it seems i cant
    especialy since you mentioned that you had more fixes in it.
    On the subject i have noticed that my configuration doesnt save my joypads settings. i need to reset the settings on the controllers everytime i start pSX.
    If you know why please do tell me and if the solution is in the new version then i guess i am pretty screwd for a while

Beans

hmmm. well, to begin with the problem with the settings can be fixed in the old one with this command:
    Code:
    sudo chmod a+w /usr/local/games/psx/psx.ini
    But the new version is probably best. So what problem are you having with removing the old one? If nothing else works, you should be able to do a:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -p psx
    sudo dpkg -p ia32-libs-gtkglext1
    sudo rm -Rv /usr/local/games/psx/
    sudo rm -v  /usr/lib32/libgtkglext*
    sudo rm -v /usr/lib32/libgdkglext*
    That should get rid of EVERYTHING, so make sure to backup any memory cards/save states/BIOS/etc. Then try installing the new packages according to the how-to. Let me know if there are any problems!

(p.s. if there is an error on this command sudo dpkg -p ia32-libs-gtkglext1, try sudo dpkg -p ia32-lib-gtkglext1 the package name got changed around once or twice.)

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast