Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Quote Originally Posted by feenicks View Post
    YOU SO ROCK!!

Thanks for putting this together in a package. I had downloaded the tar from psxemulator.gazaxian.com but I don't know how to install that. Can someone enlighten me? Just for my own education, how do you install from the tar.bz2 files?
    A tar.bz2 file isn't quite like an .exe in that it's an installable program. It's really just a compressed folder just like .rar and .zip. Also remember, it's really two compressed folders, the .tar and the .bz2. Like a *.rar.zip file.

So the proper way to install it would be to right-click on the .tar.gz archive and select "Extract here" in nautilus. You could also double-click it which opens it with an archive manager.

You'll end up with a couple files, the main one being a binary file called pSX. This is the actual program, you'll need to make sure it is executable and then launch it. Through the terminal you can launch executables simply by calling it's name, like so:
    Code:
    cd ~/Desktop/pSX/
    ./pSX   ## The ./ means "in this directory"

I might use this some time when there is some play station game that I want; although I'm wandering if there would be an play station 3 emulator.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by speedy55555 View Post
    I might use this some time when there is some play station game that I want; although I'm wandering if there would be an play station 3 emulator.
    Not for quite some time. PS2 Emulation has just barely got off the ground, and it requires a Dual Core 2.4 Ghz or more.

Beans

for anyone interested here's how i got pSX working in hardy:

Code:
    mkdir test
    cd ./test
    wget http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2
    wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gtkglextlibgtkglext1_1.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    ar vx ./libgtkglext1_1.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb 
    tar -xvzf ./data.tar.gz
    sudo cp ./usr/lib/libg* /usr/lib32/
    tar -xvjpf ./pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2 
    ./pSX/pSX
    you also have to put a copy of the bios file in ./pSX/bios but other than that the binary fired right up and I was able to play games right away.

One thing I was kind of unsure about was dfreer said to download the gtkglextlib manually and unpack it and move the libraries to /usr/lib32. Is there a reason why it is done this way and gtkglextlib isn't installed through apt-get? just curious

[/CODE]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by master_d View Post
    for anyone interested here's how i got pSX working in hardy:

Code:
    mkdir test
    cd ./test
    wget http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2
    wget http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gtkglextlibgtkglext1_1.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb
    ar vx ./libgtkglext1_1.2.0-0ubuntu1_i386.deb 
    tar -xvzf ./data.tar.gz
    sudo cp ./usr/lib/libg* /usr/lib32/
    tar -xvjpf ./pSX_linux_1_13.tar.bz2 
    ./pSX/pSX
    you also have to put a copy of the bios file in ./pSX/bios but other than that the binary fired right up and I was able to play games right away.

One thing I was kind of unsure about was dfreer said to download the gtkglextlib manually and unpack it and move the libraries to /usr/lib32. Is there a reason why it is done this way and gtkglextlib isn't installed through apt-get? just curious
    The method you posted is pretty much exactly what happens when you install my pSX .deb, only I install pSX in a global location (/usr/local/games/pSX/), and I include a .desktop file for the Menu.

The problem other hardy users are experiencing is sound related, pSX is unable to output to ALSA, and without sound pSX refuses to run.

As for why you manually need to install the 32-bit lib of pSX:
    pSX is a 32-bit application, and in order to run pSX on a 64-bit OS you need to have all the 32-bit libraries that pSX uses installed. You can see what libraries pSX uses with the ldd command:
    Code:
    ldd ./pSX
    Ubuntu and Debian aren't truly multi-arch; even though the processor and kernel are capable of running 32-bit code in a 64-bit enviroment, it isn't set up right (for example, on 32-bit Ubuntu most 32-bit libraries are installed at /usr/lib/. So 32-bit programs look for them there. In 64-bit, most 64-bit libraries are ALSO installed at /usr/lib/. This causes problems for 32-bit apps looking for 32-bit libraries only to find 64-bit ones instead).

The package ia32-libs (installed by default in Hardy I do believe), tries to solve this problem by installing the most common 32-bit libraries in /usr/lib32/, and updates ldd to search both /usr/lib/ and /usr/lib32. This works for most 32-bit applications, but is not an optimal solution.

The 32-bit libgtkglext1 libraries are not included in ia32-libs, nor are they anywhere to be found in Hardy's 64-bit repositories. Therefore, one most either manually install the libgtkglext1 libraries.

You could use --force-architecture to install the 32-bit package, but then it will install it's libraries into /usr/lib/, which is where all the 64-bit libraries. Worse, it can cause problems for 64-bit applications looking for 64-bit libs in /usr/lib/.

Anyways, hopefully that answers your question

Beans

wow if that isn't one of the best explanations I've ever seen... thanks dfreer! I've never had a 64-bit chip until just recently so I'm a little uncertain on how everything works on a 64-bit arch but that makes perfect sense. I'm still not sure why the compiler cannot compile C source code into 32-bit or 64-bit binaries based on the flags passed to the compiler but that's for another thread

about the sound issues people are having.... I'm new to ubuntu myself so perhaps I won't be of much help, but I noticed these problems with dosbox and zsnes immediately after installing hardy over an old gentoo installation. I did some research and found a webpage that said pulseaudio may be to blame so I uninstalled it and set everything in the sound preferences to ALSA.(under system->preferences->sound) I also disabled 'Play system sounds' and enabled 'enable software sound mixing (ESD) under the sounds menu of the same gui. after that I uninstalled pulse-audio with apt-get and ever since then I've had no more sound problems.

edit: just for reference my hardware:
    AMD phenom 9600
    Biostar TA790GX mb
    onboard ALC888 audio
    onboard radeon 3300HD video
    Last edited by master_d; October 16th, 2008 at 03:57 AM.

Beans

wow if that isn't one of the best explanations I've ever seen... thanks dfreer! I've never had a 64-bit chip until just recently so I'm a little uncertain on how everything works on a 64-bit arch but that makes perfect sense. I'm still not sure why the compiler cannot compile C source code into 32-bit or 64-bit binaries based on the flags passed to the compiler but that's for another thread
    You should be able to compile 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit OS, although I've had issues trying to do so with ZSNES. I was able to compile ZSNES using a 32-bit chroot, if you don't know what that is, it's basically a fake root partition, in which you can install a 32-bit OS and execute code from it.

about the sound issues people are having.... I'm new to ubuntu myself so perhaps I won't be of much help, but I noticed these problems with dosbox and zsnes immediately after installing hardy over an old gentoo installation. I did some research and found a webpage that said pulseaudio may be to blame so I uninstalled it and set everything in the sound preferences to ALSA.(under system->preferences->sound) I also disabled 'Play system sounds' and enabled 'enable software sound mixing (ESD) under the sounds menu of the same gui. after that I uninstalled pulse-audio with apt-get and ever since then I've had no more sound problems.
    It very well could be an issue with pulseaudio. pSX worked fine for most users (including myself) in every version of Ubuntu since Dapper, but stopped working in Hardy (which is when they introduced pulseaudio). It also works just fine on my Debian Lenny AMD64 install.

Beans

Just wanted to point out that you can get pSX to work in Hardy with pulseaudio by temporairly disabiling 2 files. Rename the 2 files ~/.asoundrc and/or /etc/asound.conf pSX should work with sound after that.

Beans

You should be able to compile 32-bit binaries on a 64-bit OS, although I've had issues trying to do so with ZSNES. I was able to compile ZSNES using a 32-bit chroot, if you don't know what that is, it's basically a fake root partition, in which you can install a 32-bit OS and execute code from it.
    I think zsnes may be a special case because it's partially written in assembly and I don't know if nasm (the assembler) can generate 64-bit instructions. I guess pSX is a special case too because we don't have the source available.

Beans

I think zsnes may be a special case because it's partially written in assembly and I don't know if nasm (the assembler) can generate 64-bit instructions. I guess pSX is a special case too because we don't have the source available.
    Note I wasn't talking about compiling a 64-bit binary of ZSNES. In that case you are correct, ZSNES is written in x86 assembly code and therefore it can only be a 32-bit binary (as of now). I was talking about compiling a 32-bit binary on a 64-bit OS, which certainly should be possible.

Hopefully pSX Author will either release a new version, or if he discontinues the project publishes the source code soon. Because it's a great emulator and I'd hate to see it die.

Quote Originally Posted by mocha View Post
    Just wanted to point out that you can get pSX to work in Hardy with pulseaudio by temporairly disabiling 2 files. Rename the 2 files ~/.asoundrc and/or /etc/asound.conf pSX should work with sound after that.
    Thanks for this, when I get a chance I'll have to check it out.

Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ... 142223242526 ... LastLast