Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: How-To: install pSX on AMD64

Just in case, here is the output:

W: Failed to fetch http://packages.dfreer.org/dists/gut...64/Packages.gz 302 Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Beans

Hey, im running hardy 64 on a dual core amd, i tried installing psx, couldnt get it to work, then i tried ur "old" instructions and i got all the way to the bottom, but then its giving me errors when i type in "./pSX" and then it says something about the bios. heres the terminal output...

(pSX:9551): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid (NULL) pointer instance

(pSX:9551): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(pSX:9551): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_connect_data: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(pSX:9551): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

(pSX:9551): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_signal_handler_disconnect: assertion `G_TYPE_CHECK_INSTANCE (instance)' failed

then it opens up a dialogue box... bios not found. This emulator requires a BIOS image which must be installed in the bios folder.

if you could help me out, id be much appreciated, ive been having nothing but problems trying to game game emulators to work, both for pcsx and znes and now im taking a crack at this one

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cjb5089 View Post
    if you could help me out, id be much appreciated, ive been having nothing but problems trying to game game emulators to work, both for pcsx and znes and now im taking a crack at this one
    Playstation Emulators are different from say a SNES or NES emulator, in the sense that they have a BIOS (when you turn on a SNES, if there is no cart in the system nothing happens. When you turn on a playstation without a game, the BIOS loads and you can configure your memory cards among other things).

The whole point of this is, in order to actually use the emulator, you will need a playstation BIOS. And it is against the rules of this forum (not to mention legal issues) for us to give or otherwise tell you how to obtain the playstation BIOS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dfreer View Post
    Playstation Emulators are different from say a SNES or NES emulator, in the sense that they have a BIOS (when you turn on a SNES, if there is no cart in the system nothing happens. When you turn on a playstation without a game, the BIOS loads and you can configure your memory cards among other things).

The whole point of this is, in order to actually use the emulator, you will need a playstation BIOS. And it is against the rules of this forum (not to mention legal issues) for us to give or otherwise tell you how to obtain the playstation BIOS.
    does this mean that the old instructions work for hardy amd64? cos i being waiting for some updates on the broken repos but if i can make it work now it would be great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuki_NdranC View Post
    does this mean that the old instructions work for hardy amd64? cos i being waiting for some updates on the broken repos but if i can make it work now it would be great.
    Hmmm they should in theory; generally the issue with running 32-bit programs in a 64-bit Linux is that the program needs 32-bit libraries as well. The only 32-bit libraries that pSX needs besides those provided in ia32-libs is libgtkglext, IIRC.

The problem with Hardy was that even WITH all the needed 32-bit libraries, myself and others couldn't get pSX to work. I believe it has to do with changes in the Ubuntu sound system, and since pSX refuses to function without sound...

Anyways, I'm going to be working on this now that my repository is back online. Hopefully I can either figure it out and get pSX working, or perhaps if it's a problem with pSX itself (zsnes dev's released a new version of zsnes due to changes in Debian/Ubuntu) pSXAuthor will be willing to recompile pSX for us.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Your guide works well and pSX runs.

But its window is always flickering, whats wrong with my system?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by riokushen View Post
    Your guide works well and pSX runs.

But its window is always flickering, whats wrong with my system?
    Not entirely sure. It may be a refresh rate issue, or you may want to enable triple buffering/vsync.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have a problem when I use the packages.dfreer.org repository, I get the same error as Ryuki_NdranC, and when I use the rowdy.dfreer.org:8080 I don't get any errors, but it seems there's no psx or psx32 package there... at least a search in synaptic doesn't find it...

edit: I looked at the website which opens when I go to packages.dfreer.org, and it seems that there are no psx packages for hardy... do the packages from gutsy work?

edit2: I've just checked, they aren't working
    Last edited by Starlight; August 10th, 2008 at 04:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
    I have a problem when I use the packages.dfreer.org repository, I get the same error as Ryuki_NdranC, and when I use the rowdy.dfreer.org:8080 I don't get any errors, but it seems there's no psx or psx32 package there... at least a search in synaptic doesn't find it...

edit: I looked at the website which opens when I go to packages.dfreer.org, and it seems that there are no psx packages for hardy... do the packages from gutsy work?

edit2: I've just checked, they aren't working
    Firstly, packages.dfreer.org will redirect to rowdy.dfreer.org:8080. I just checked it via proxy and it still works using the web browser.

Next, if you are using apt-get, you need to have rowdy.dfreer.org:8080 in your /etc/apt/sources.list. For some reason apt-get can't handle web redirects.

Last, I haven't made a psx package for hardy, sorry So far, I've been having limited success getting it to work on my system. I'd recommended manually downloading pSX from the official website:
    http://psxemulator.gazaxian.com/

Then run ldd on it to make sure you have the needed libraries:
    Code:
    cd /path/to/pSX/here/
    ldd ./pSX
    If any of them are missing (it will most likely be libgtkglext1), you will need to obtain those 32-bit libraries and place them in your /usr/lib32/ folder. My gutsy package may work for this, or you may manually download the libraries here:
    http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i38...lext1/download

Extract the .deb by right-clicking on it and manually place the 4 following files in /usr/lib32/
    libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so.0
    libgdkglext-x11-1.0.so.0.0.0
    libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0
    libgtkglext-x11-1.0.so.0.0.0

Beyond that, all other 32-bit libraries should already be installed in the ia32-libs package. Good luck with getting pSX to run, I'm of the opinion that either pulseaudio has drastically changed the ALSA sound system such that pSX is unable to use it, or that the pSX binary needs to be recompiled for Hardy. I honestly don't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

YOU SO ROCK!!

Thanks for putting this together in a package. I had downloaded the tar from psxemulator.gazaxian.com but I don't know how to install that. Can someone enlighten me? Just for my own education, how do you install from the tar.bz2 files?

Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast