Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential changes for the NU Ubuntu Team

Beans

Potential changes for the NU Ubuntu Team

As the success of the NU Ubuntu team has seen the nurtured growth and development of state teams in our region, I have discussed with Mackenzie the idea of progressing the NU Ubuntu regional team into the NU Ubuntu council...

meaning I would like each state team leader for each state in our region be appointed as an admin to the NU Ubuntu Team thus created a regional council of state team leaders that will facilitate the growth and focus of marketing within our region....

please let me know your thoughts before we put this in place
    Last edited by RAV TUX; May 3rd, 2007 at 08:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Changes for the NU Ubuntu Team & state teams in our region

Ouij voted for apathy

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Ouij voted for apathy
    Ouij?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

As long as this stays, for the moment anyway, an informal arrangement I don't really see an issue.

I don't see where the benefit of adding another formal layer to the Global/National/State Loco team levels today. If there are, please let me know so we can discuss them.

We're still a group that can function well as we are. Creating the ties is a good thing to do and lay out ideas for the future growth having the regional teams in place is a great idea.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFrain View Post
    As long as this stays, for the moment anyway, an informal arrangement I don't really see an issue.

I don't see where the benefit of adding another formal layer to the Global/National/State Loco team levels today. If there are, please let me know so we can discuss them.

We're still a group that can function well as we are. Creating the ties is a good thing to do and lay out ideas for the future growth having the regional teams in place is a great idea.
    I have discussed with Jono about regional teams, and posted the IRC journal here:

First meet up with Jono,reaffirms importance and essential function of Regional teams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The way that I read the log there it sounds like Jono has the same idea that I do. It's a good idea to get the ties and discussion flowing between the groups, but that particulars should remain at the state level.

Again, I guess I'm just not seeing the need for a formal regional layer. Other than an online group to talk about regional issues, such as this forum that already exists, what is the purpose?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFrain View Post
    The way that I read the log there it sounds like Jono has the same idea that I do. It's a good idea to get the ties and discussion flowing between the groups, but that particulars should remain at the state level.

Again, I guess I'm just not seeing the need for a formal regional layer. Other than an online group to talk about regional issues, such as this forum that already exists, what is the purpose?
    Jono and I see eye to eye, perhaps I am being miss understood...

I have and always supported control of the state level teams within the hands of the state level leaders...

The sole purpose of a regional level team is to help facilitate a state level team formation hence the purpose of this forum, which has created awareness, connections and eventual formation of state level teams.....

Now what I would like to see us develop now and for the future is a regional council "NU Ubuntu Team" that is run by the leaders of each prospective state within it's region

The need for a regional level team has been proven effective right here....

what I would like to see is a regional coalition of the LoCo teams in our region....this already exist with the NU Ubuntu Team, what I would like to is the preservation of the longevity of this regional coalition by having the state team leaders run it....hence after you or I are long gone the state and region will remain intact and strong

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, it seems to make sense to me. I read the logs and it sounds like once everyone understood what was being said, there was agreement that regional teams made up of state LoCos could help foster growth of LoCos in states without a team. as well as to work together for regional issues. I don't see any problem with this.

I want to work with the surrounding state LoCo's to help the cause, and while the informal way is fine, a formal "co-op" of independent LoCo team could bring more focus on state LoCos working together while maintain state level control. Control may be the wrong word... Perhaps State Level administration of LoCos would be a better way of saying this.
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I guess I just don't understand the need for something formalized. I don't like too many formal layers of organization. It adds complications and leads to confusion.

Here in the US we are in a unique position. Our country is large enough to demand state level groups. For many other countries this would be broken down to city level, if that fine grained. So we have the Ubuntu-US umbrella to gather to. I don't want to feel or others to get the idea that you can only work within your region. For example, the MD meetup coming next week I posted to the PA forum as it is at an event that will draw people from PA. When I was starting to get stuff together for the MD group Aaron from the UT group got me pointed in the right direction.

If we should be mandated to assume a roll in a regional group, how do we decide the borders of those groups? The most obvious way would be to split along the census groupings. Yet Maryland, DC, Virginia and West Virginia were annexed to the northeast group 'so we can easily do demographic research of Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu users easily and give us a more viable cohesive voice and community spirit'. Wouldn't it be better to leave the census lines alone to give more accurate and understood data in traditional geographical areas? Should Rhode Island be absorbed into Massachusetts simply because it is basically a suburb of Boston to many people? Or that Delaware should be a part of Maryland's team because it is so small?

As different regional groups form each area cannot simply say 'I pick $state for $region'. It harkens back to school days where the popular kids get picked first and the unlucky ones being accepted because they have to be.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bfledderjohn View Post
    Well, it seems to make sense to me. I read the logs and it sounds like once everyone understood what was being said, there was agreement that regional teams made up of state LoCos could help foster growth of LoCos in states without a team. as well as to work together for regional issues. I don't see any problem with this.

I want to work with the surrounding state LoCo's to help the cause, and while the informal way is fine, a formal "co-op" of independent LoCo team could bring more focus on state LoCos working together while maintain state level control. Control may be the wrong word... Perhaps State Level administration of LoCos would be a better way of saying this.
    exactly ....so I will count you in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast