Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potential changes for the NU Ubuntu Team

Beans

Re: Changes for the NU Ubuntu Team & state teams in our region

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckFrain View Post
    I guess I just don't understand the need for something formalized. I don't like too many formal layers of organization. It adds complications and leads to confusion.

Here in the US we are in a unique position. Our country is large enough to demand state level groups. For many other countries this would be broken down to city level, if that fine grained. So we have the Ubuntu-US umbrella to gather to. I don't want to feel or others to get the idea that you can only work within your region. For example, the MD meetup coming next week I posted to the PA forum as it is at an event that will draw people from PA. When I was starting to get stuff together for the MD group Aaron from the UT group got me pointed in the right direction.

If we should be mandated to assume a roll in a regional group, how do we decide the borders of those groups? The most obvious way would be to split along the census groupings. Yet Maryland, DC, Virginia and West Virginia were annexed to the northeast group 'so we can easily do demographic research of Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Edubuntu/Xubuntu users easily and give us a more viable cohesive voice and community spirit'. Wouldn't it be better to leave the census lines alone to give more accurate and understood data in traditional geographical areas? Should Rhode Island be absorbed into Massachusetts simply because it is basically a suburb of Boston to many people? Or that Delaware should be a part of Maryland's team because it is so small?

As different regional groups form each area cannot simply say 'I pick $state for $region'. It harkens back to school days where the popular kids get picked first and the unlucky ones being accepted because they have to be.
    The NU Ubuntu team existed before the US and many state teams....if you do not want to be apart of it that is fine....

it is really much more simple then you are making it btw

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Okay, I have had a friend look over this thread and we discussed the issues. He seems to think that where we're (Rav Tux and I) failing to find common ground is that I'm not clearly getting the message that this is an informal group. That it is not a part of an official hierarchy of State-Regional-Country-Global structure.

So I'm thinking that if that is the case, we're all good and there's a complication that I'm throwing into the conversation that's not there.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

So we have the Ubuntu-US umbrella to gather to. I don't want to feel or others to get the idea that you can only work within your region. For example, the MD meetup coming next week I posted to the PA forum as it is at an event that will draw people from PA. When I was starting to get stuff together for the MD group Aaron from the UT group got me pointed in the right direction.
    Just for clarification, the US Teams project is only a mentoring and support group for new and or struggling teams. (just as Jono has asked )

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Yeah, Chuck, that's kinda how it is. I think he's just talking about having a "let's get together and see how all the different state can work together" thing and if something's happening in say, New England, well, those states are all rather tiny and the leaders from those states may want to collaborate.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    Yeah, Chuck, that's kinda how it is. I think he's just talking about having a "let's get together and see how all the different state can work together" thing and if something's happening in say, New England, well, those states are all rather tiny and the leaders from those states may want to collaborate.
    yeah then we can all get together for a road trip and meet each other

The Magic Ubuntu mobile

Beans

Okay, I have had a friend look over this thread and we discussed the issues. He seems to think that where we're (Rav Tux and I) failing to find common ground is that I'm not clearly getting the message that this is an informal group. That it is not a part of an official hierarchy of State-Regional-Country-Global structure.

So I'm thinking that if that is the case, we're all good and there's a complication that I'm throwing into the conversation that's not there.
    Sounds all good to me Chuck

We will leave the admin base as is; macogw, Brunellus, and myself(RAV TUX).

(and as mentioned in the other thread in this forum I will be out for extended periods of time, so please consult with the other 2 admins, if anything is needed: macogw, Brunellus)
    Last edited by RAV TUX; May 3rd, 2007 at 08:00 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12