Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imagemagick / Ghostscript: converting a pdf into a jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Imagemagick / Ghostscript: converting a pdf into a jpg

Hi,
    I'm trying to write a shellscript that converts pdf-s into jpg's, but the jpg's i get as a result are pixelated. Is there a way to make sure I get jpg's with a decent quality? The source pdf's are A3-sized, and the jpg's I get are about 1035x1474, while I need them to be almost double that size to make sure the text is readable.

this is the command I use:
    Code:
    convert 1.pdf -profile EuroscaleUncoated.icc -profile /usr/share/color/icc/sRGB.icm 1.jpg
    these are the versions I'm using:
    Imagemagick 6.2.4
    Ghostscript 8.15.4
    the OS is Ubuntu Feisty

Is there a way to improve quality with a switch or something?

WW is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Imagemagick / Ghostscript: converting a pdf into a jpg

When converting to jpg, you can use the -quality option. The "best" quality would be -quality 100.

Beans
    Distro

-Quality changes the quality of the jpg compression, after rasterizing. The problem is that I want jpegs of a bigger resolution, and ghostscript/imagemagick won't allow me (even with -density and other options i tried)

Beans

try "-density 200x200"

edit: ok i didnt read you last post.. density is working fine here, tough.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for trying anyway This thread has had no comments for weeks, and I still haven't found an adequate solution. Anyway, i've tried again, and it still desn't work. I think there's something wrong with how imagemagick interfaces with Ghostscript.

If I import the pdf in the gimp (I believe the gimp also uses gs internally for pdf conversion), I can set the resolution to whatever I want, and it works. The colours are all wrong, though, because I can't use a colour profile to convert the colours as they should.

I want to do it through the command line, because it will be part of a script that converts a bunch of pdf's into jpg's automatically.

i want to replace an existing program that runs only on Windows, and uses Photoshop for the conversion, because I don't want to:
    1, depend on Photoshop & Windows
    2, have photoshop take all the resources and screen estate while it's running

edit: I tried with Krita, and Krita gets both the colours right, and the resolution. Is there a way I could use Krita for this, without having it spawn its gui?
    Last edited by Jonne; April 6th, 2007 at 12:38 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonne View Post
    Thanks for trying anyway This thread has had no comments for weeks, and I still haven't found an adequate solution. Anyway, i've tried again, and it still desn't work. I think there's something wrong with how imagemagick interfaces with Ghostscript.
    Have you tried their mailing list?
    http://www.imagemagick.org/mailman/l...o/magick-users

WW is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

You can change the size of the output file with the -geometry option, e.g. -geometry 1600x1600 will ensure that the largest dimension is 1600 pixels (it will preserve the aspect ratio). I don't know if this will get you what you want, but it's worth a try. I tried it with a PDF file that contains just some text and equations, and it looked OK, but not great.

EDIT...
    If I combine -geometry, -density, and -quality, it looks better. For example,
    Code:
    $ convert -geometry 1600x1600 -density 200x200 -quality 100 file.pdf file.jpg
    Then file.jpg looks pretty good to me.
    Last edited by WW; April 6th, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I think I found it, thanks to WW. Apparently it depends on the syntax you use. If you add the switches before giving the filename of the pdf, it will not ignore -density and such. If you give the filename first (like in the example I posted), Imagemagick will first rasterize the pdf, and only apply the switches afterward, thus giving degraded quality. to recap:
    bad:
    convert file.pdf -density 200x200 file.jpg

good:
    convert -density 200x200 file.pdf file.jpg

thanks guys

Beans

Wow, I just wasted 45 minutes trying to convert a PDF to JPG using every imagemagick option I could find. The default resolution looked horrible. I finally found this post and the problem is solved. Thanks! I'm sure the information is there on the imagemagick website somewhere, but it sure isn't obvious.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks WW
    I used your command line.
    Worked fine for me. I converted a one page pdf to a jpg.
    I googled "Ubuntu pdf to jpg" and found this quick solution.

When I opened this jpg in the GIMP I saw that the GIMP can import pdf and then save as a jpg. Both ways worked. CLI or GUI.
    Last edited by ridgeland; March 14th, 2008 at 11:27 PM. Reason: saw the GIMP can do pdf to jpg
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GPT-UD3H - AMD Phenom II x3 720 - 8 GB RAM - 2009 - My first PC from parts!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast