Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Cup of Ubuntu (Louisville, this time around)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

A Cup of Ubuntu (Louisville, this time around)

I'll keep this pretty short and to the point:

How many of you all would be interested in meeting up at a coffee shop in Louisville in the very near future to discuss Ubuntu, Linux and general Nerdery over a cup of brew? There are a lot of coffee shops in Louisville that could support us, so I'm sure that won't be an issue. It will be a good opportunity to meet your fellow Ubuntu users.

I propose a meetup on Saturday the 31st at Heine Bros. Coffee on the corner of Eastern Parkway and Bardstown road at like 7pm. If anyone has any suggestions or questions, ask away. We can always shift times and dates around.

With any luck, this can become a regular occurrence, and spread to the rest of the state.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: A Cup of Ubuntu (Louisville, this time around)

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm totally up for it, and I propose that at least once we try to have one in Frankfort (more central location, imo, and there's a really nice coffeeshop here in Frankfort that should accomodate, with a bookstore).

+1 from me.

Beans

So it sounds like so far we are talking about rotating locations between Lexington, Louisville, and Frankfort. Seems like a good plan to me That may help us reach more people that would not otherwise come.
    Thanks,

etank

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I can put up flyers for it in the tower I work in (and in the Coffeeshop here) if there's interest.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sounds like a good idea.

Beans

This kinda takes "A carafe of Ubuntu" to a new level doesn't it? Heck, why not Lexington while we're at it?

Should we consider a vote to only support local mom and pop owned coffee shops, seeing that Starbucks is rapidly becoming an evil corporate empire like Microsoft?

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by JarG0n View Post
    Should we consider a vote to only support local mom and pop owned coffee shops, seeing that Starbucks is rapidly becoming an evil corporate empire like Microsoft?
    This is a pretty big misconception. Even though Starbucks is HUGE, they don't practice any underhanded business practices. They buy lots of free trade coffee, they don't maliciously undercut local competitors, etc. They pretty much CREATED the coffee craze going on in America right now. They created the market, and now they're soaking it up. They also offer tremendous benefits to their employees; even part timers have options for insurance and tuition reimbursement.

That said, I tend to like local places for the atmosphere and better coffee.

Beans

Yeah, I haven't really looked into it myself, so I'm probably suffering from the misconception too. I just hear all the StarBucks haters out there calling for a boycott, and to support local shops.

Either way, I thought StarBucks was a either franchise, or coporately managed. Once so much growth occurs, people have a tendency to view a corporate giant as anti-competitive behemoths out to crush their competetion through whatever means necessary.

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

The number one reason to not patronize Starbucks:

THEY MAKE YOU PAY FOR WIFI.

Screw that.

Heine Bros at Btown and Eastern sounds good to me. I'll go.

And they have free wifi there.

Beans

I nominate etank to buy us all coffee!

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast