Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idea for Ubuntu Women project

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Idea for Ubuntu Women project

I m visiting this section everyday waiting to see some women revolution but i think its missing something

You have some ideas, you have some women.. so.. whats missing?

When i first saw this section i thought... wow women uses linux too (almost all women that i know just know how to gossip in msn and see their horoscope in a website).

But sincerely just standing here, talking in a forum you (women) are not going to change anything...

Sorry if i m being rude.. dont misunderstand me... i wanna help you rule the word too...

btw my idea is:

The Ubuntu Women should start some kind of "Simple Project" but stop all this theorical crap... instead of staying here in this forum just in theory while a lot of people are making "men" projects you should start some simple thing to ubuntu.. here are my sugestions:

1 - Why not make a Women Ubuntu theme? Using flowers, animals, and all those cute things that women like?
    Ok, ok.. you are gonna say "but there's a lot of themes out there"... but.. its different to use a theme that you know wich was made with love... by women for women

You could make a pink/orange theme and mix some ubuntu stuff with more collorfull stuff and images, why a flower's field as a backgroud....

2 - Why not make a Women instant messenger? or if its too dificult why not make a women's theme for an existing one? like some custom emoticons for gaim.. or something like?

3 - One guy was asking in the comunity chat about a "tamagoshi" for linux.. why not try to make one? i m sure women like this kind of "inutilities".

Btw.. i m just showing you my point of view... cause i m the kind of guy that hates theory... and one of my teacher always said this to me:

Quote Originally Posted by Angelão
    While you are still thinking about a great idea to do something, be sure that somebody is already doing it. So, move your ass off the chair and start making it.
    Last edited by sapo; June 2nd, 2005 at 06:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Idea for Ubuntu Women project

Heh, I think your post will offend some people, despite your good intentions. Gender issues are difficult to discuss, and some people may see your statements as promoting gender stereotypes.
    jkndrkn: the sensitive pink tips

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by jkndrkn
    Heh, I think your post will offend some people, despite your good intentions. Gender issues are difficult to discuss, and some people may see your statements as promoting gender stereotypes.

Thats not my intention...

I just think that Ubunut Women need some substancial project.. instead of just ideas...

And i really like the idea of having more women using linux.. thats why i think that we have to do something to catch their attentions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Well, Ubuntu has already caught the attention of my wife, mother, and sister. All three of them use it exclusively without needing a hook beyond the fact that it is a rock solid, user friendly distro.

Knome_fan Guest

Great ideas!

After all, redecorating (with flowers and such) and playing with dolls comes naturally to women...

Now if we could only find the linux equivalent of cleaning the dishes...

Beans
    Hidden!

playing with dolls comes naturally to everyone, it's just discouraged among the little boys, which is one reason why, later on in life, that little boy grows up and has kids and has no clue what to do with them

" Now if we could only find the linux equivalent of cleaning the dishes... "
    How nice of you to volunteer to clean all our dishes. Seriously, are you TRYING to promote sexist stereotypes with that one? If it was a joke, it's one that doesn't translate over the web well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

omfg.. people just dont get what i mean

Here.. take a look at this:

http://www.templatesbymarina.com/

Just click on templates and take a look around...

marina is a girl that makes "blog templates" just take a look how her templates look like:

http://marinairis.sites.uol.com.br/template10.htm

Do you know any man that would use that template?

So... why not try to make some theme like this kind of template to ubuntu? i dont know if a housewife would use it... but i m sure is something that a lot of girls would love

And now take a look at this one:

http://marinairis.sites.uol.com.br/template399.htm

Why not use some idea like this for wallpapers and themes?

Knome_fan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by panickedthumb
    playing with dolls comes naturally to everyone, it's just discouraged among the little boys, which is one reason why, later on in life, that little boy grows up and has kids and has no clue what to do with them

" Now if we could only find the linux equivalent of cleaning the dishes... "
    How nice of you to volunteer to clean all our dishes. Seriously, are you TRYING to promote sexist stereotypes with that one? If it was a joke, it's one that doesn't translate over the web well.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irony
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarcasm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by Knome_fan
    Great ideas!

After all, redecorating (with flowers and such) and playing with dolls comes naturally to women...

Now if we could only find the linux equivalent of cleaning the dishes...
    erm... Maybe my sarcasm detector is calibrated wrong but I can assure you that the ladies in my life would lynch me if I took any other approach beyond treating them as the intelligent savvy individuals that they are.

As for the dishes, porting Linux to my Maytag would be an interesting project to say the least...

/EDIT
    On preview, why yes my Sacrasm Detector is dialed way to low!

Beans

people just dont get what i mean***

I do. And I think your ideas are worth considering. I'd like to see apps where you can take a photo and print up a tee-shirt and that doesn't require me to be an IT person. That sort of stuff.

Even though such things aren't exclusively in women's domain, I think women 'get-it' quicker than men. I think more women would be using Linux if it had those kind of apps that they use in windows. I have to tell you that as a woman, Linux can be pretty sterile at times.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast