Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Introduce yourself

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Some More Computer History (Just for the Goof)

Good to see another former "DEC-pert" has joined the group, I remember CORE Memory, Open Real Tapes, Chain Smoking Computer Operators, and machines that used $5000+ worth of electricity every month and filled entire rooms.

First UNIX experience for me was System Two Version Seven (AT&T / Berkley) at General Electric Corporate in the Summer of 1981, running on a PDP-11/45. I wrote test specifications for just about the entire operating system at the time during my co-op experience there while I was in college.

As another note I also remember the first time I used the term "A GIG" to describe computer memory, it was back about 1983 when I was working for Remington Products in Bridgeport CT. My boss and I were talking about how much "smaller" computers where getting and how we almost a "1000 Meg" of Hard Drive space on the company computer. I also remember laughing about how silly calling it "A Gig" (short for GigaByte) sounded for the rest of the day.

The IBM personal computers that where being used around the company had memory sizes the measured in KiloBytes and eight inch floppy drives. I think that about this time some future software multi-multi-billionaire was quoted saying "Why would anyone ever need more then 64K". Maybe that is just an urban legend, and someone else said it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Introduce yourself

feravolo,

I see from your post we are not to far from each other. On the other hand at $3.00/gal across the street may be too far.

I wonder what it did cost to run our small 50,000 sq ft data center, cooling, and all that jazz. Don't matter I suppose, the phone factory where I worked was rich.
    Disclaimer: Aint nuthin right in my left brain and nuthin left in the right

Beans

I'm John from St. Petersburg. I used early versions of Linux (pre-1998) but got away from it when I switched from desktop to laptop computers (could not get drivers for the laptop screen at the time) and there was a lack of programs. I'm now starting again, so I'm about as new as it gets. I look forward to learning from all the experience out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, I suppose I am the newest Ubuntu and Linux user here now. I installed Ubuntu 6.10 a two or three weeks ago and almost didn't look back. Yesterday I went back to XP for some stuff on that side of the partition and I have never felt so claustrophobic from my desktop ever! Whaddya mean only one desktop?!?

The only tech-savvy thing I have done is designed the website for my wife's business and designing another for my mom's aviary (www.sitstaygooddog.com and my mom's early-alpha www.sitstaygooddog.com/tropical.html ).

I live in Miami, but I am in the Navy and will be transferring next next year. Florida is my homestate; born and raised in Jacksonville - graduate of N.B. Forrest HS! <-- way back in the day, lol.

Anyways, look forward to discussing and troubleshooting with all my Floridian Ubuntu pals.

Shawn

Beans

Hi All!

My Name is Jason, I am originally from Buffalo, NY now 4 years relocated in Dunedin (between Clearwater and Palm harbor)
    I've only recently gotten into using Linux though I've dabbled here and there over he last few years.... until I was asked to try Ubuntu last year and was hooked. I'm still green with Linux but, willing to help where I can as I learn.
    Professionally, I am a Support Engineer for Access Control systems- Impro Technologies / Amano Cincinnati (which is also developed in South Africa ). Most of our systems in use today,use windows but, there are several that are running Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello Team,

I think, that may ending up as an introduction od an other kind ( in a good way)

My name is Juergen, I live now with my wife and our 2 children since almost 4 years, here, in
    Central Illinois, Lincoln.
    Actually born and raised in Germany, close to Stuttgart in a nice small Town called Maisenbach-Zainen in the North Black Forest.
    So, please, forgive some wrong spelling, once in a while.

We fullfilled our Dream, as we moved here to the USA. And my wife is now as well closer to here Mom and here brother.

I'm as a "Communication Electronics, Major: Information Technology" guy, had contact several years ago with Unix, around 7 years aou then with Suse Linux.
    But the problem with Suse is, it just works to a certain point.
    Last year then, I did a lot of reading over Linux, because I was so frustrated with Micropoop.
    I just could not see the reason anymore, why I should spend almost the same amound of money to make an unsafe, unreliable OS running on my Computer.

So I just ordert the free CD's tried it out on home computer and Laptop and a lot of help of this amazing Forum.
    AND, everything workes, it's reliable, it's safe, it's controlable and stable.
    I'm addicted, would like to learn every day a bit more with Ubuntu, and I do, amazingly
    You need help, ask this forum, this Forum rocks.

Also I like Mark Shutteworth's vision.
    I know, I stick with Ubuntu, because, I think there is something realy big coming for Ubuntu,
    and as soon the certification are up, I'll go and get them.

Mark, thanks a lot for this awesome OS.

And again, this Forum is the 1 of his kind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi, My name is Eric. I'll be in high school in a few months and I live in the Palm Beach area. I've lived here all my life. I just made the switch a few days ago, but I've had the shipit cds for about a year and a half. I run 6.10 now.

I've been around the forums awile, but just starting in the communities and launchpad recently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Hi. My name is Stephanie. I live in Lake Mary. I started out many years ago with Slackware, but at the time I wasn't ready for it and I abandoned it. Recently I had enough of Microsoft, and I ditched XP completely. I did my research and decided on Ubuntu. I couldn't be happier.

I teach a 6th grade Introduction to Computers course. I really wish I could convince the school system to use Edubuntu. They spend an astronomical amount on software! I have exposed the students to Linux though.

My dad is going to re-open his Corvette repair business soon, and I have convinced him that Ubuntu is the way to go.

Lastly, I would like to start a non-profit organization. I love helping volunteer groups, but I want to start something of my own. As I was building a computer with my students the other day, I thought it would be great to take donated systems, refurbish or repair them, then install Ubuntu on them. I know of many students without computers at home that would love to have them.

Ok, enough! Thanks for reading if you're still with me. I look forward to being a part of this group (if you will have me).

Beans

Stephanie,
    Welcome! It seems, from your intro, that you are right in line with a couple of our direct goals (strange, actually).

Mike Feravolo has expressed a desire to try to demonstrate the glories of edubuntu to the school system here in Florida (in whatever way possible, we know dealing with school boards is ridiculous).

And Danny (bodycoach2) introduced the idea of starting up a freegeek.org chapter here, or something like it, for just that purpose of distributing refurbished comps to those who need them, with F/OSS software (ubuntu). As freegeek says "help the needy get nerdy"

Please stop by our launchpad page and sign up, check out our wiki at http://wiki.ubuntu.com/FloridaTeam and stop on by our IRC channel on freenode at #ubuntu-florida

Talk to you later!
    Chris

Beans

And tell me... is your nameplate correct? Are you another Kubuntu user?! ZOMG I'm not alone!

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast