Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: CJK in Wine (Chinese, Japanese & Korean)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: CJK in Wine (Chinese, Japanese & Korean)

Hi everyone. Great news. I've been working more on WineLoc an have a graphical+cli version almost ready using PHP-GTK. I also have created install script to handle all the ugly configuration settings from the first part of this thread automatically.

It also no longer depends on VeraSansYuanTi to work.

Starting early next year, it will be possible to install WineLoc entirely from apt/synaptic with no configuration needed.

Beans

The VeraSansYuanTi.tar.gz is not available anymore at http://download.ubuntu.org.cn/softwa...sYuanTi.tar.gz and http://download.linuxsir.org/FreeTTF...yuanti.tar.bz2 always timeout. Can you provide working link or attach one to umarsaid in gmail.com?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by tripmix View Post
    Anyone tried this in debian? We dont have the /var/lib/locales/supported.d/ dir. Do you think I could just skip the first steps and go right to "dpkg-reconfigure locales"?
    All locales is put in /etc/locale.gen

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by umarsaid View Post
    The VeraSansYuanTi.tar.gz is not available anymore at http://download.ubuntu.org.cn/softwa...sYuanTi.tar.gz and http://download.linuxsir.org/FreeTTF...yuanti.tar.bz2 always timeout. Can you provide working link or attach one to umarsaid in gmail.com?

TIA
    I'm sorry for not reading previous posts carefully. It has been uploaded to RapidShare. But if there are other hosts other than rapidshare, it will be great, since my internet connection is very slow and often disconnected.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thx for the hard work
    Now you have solved one of my biggest problem in using wine to run one of my japanese games.
    Hooray!!!

Beans

EDIT: Problem fixed so far... had to re-do everything.
    Last edited by tenchu77491; February 12th, 2008 at 07:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

First of all, Massive respect to D-- for this guide. I hope some wine developers are taking note of his great work.

Now for a comment - Would it be an idea to split this tutorial up into Chinese | Korean | Japanese | whatever? Downloading 100 MB+ of fonts from a lot of different languages may be overkill, when all you need is Japanese for example.

Beans

Hello,

Thanks for this guide. The scripts do not work perfectly for me (perhaps because I run Debian, not Ubuntu) so I do the switching manually. However, it provides the important pieces of information

a) it worked for somebody already

b) what encoding is used for various languages in Windows

Of course using this method you cannot get proper input in Wine. Perhaps for Russian or Greek which use direct keyboard input but certainly not for CJK.

The reason is simple. All these scripts do is

1) set up default wine fonts so that they contain the characters for the given language. As there are no quality fonts in Linux that would support multiple language groups (Latin/Greek/Cyrillic/CJK/..) it is necessary to switch the fonts each time.

2) run wine in the windows encoding corresponding to the desired language. As the text in the application is encoded in some legacy encoding and not utf-8 this is necessary for the application to display properly (unless the application uses Unicode, but few do even of the windows bundled applications - regardless of MS recommendations).

If you run wine like that you can see the text rendered properly but you cannot type. That's because your input method runs in utf-8 but wine runs in some legacy windows encoding. The text wine gets from your input method is wrong. If you modify the scripts to run another X application (like xterm) instead of wine you won't be able to type in that application either. You would have to run your whole X session in the legacy encoding for input to work.

However, there is good chance that some applications do not need step 2). As IE6 is quite new and can handle various encodings it might be already unicode. If you are running IE and have trouble writing CJK in it it might be worth trying to just import the registry settings for your language and then run wine normally.

Currently the only input problem in WIne I know of is cursor positioning. When you convert some text and send it to wine it fails to reposition the cursor. The cursor stays before the text you just typed although wine thinks it has moved after the text. If you move the cursor or type more text it will appear at the right place.

Beans

Dear all,

I tried to run Visual Foxpro under wine ,however I cannot display some data in Chinese

I have tried "wineloc -l zh_TW XXX.prg"
    I have tried "LANG=zh_TW wine XXX.prg"
    Both cases, Traditional Chinese data cannot be displayed" while Foxpro runs

I think Foxpro is a non-unicode program, how wine deals with a non-unicode program, will changing codepage used by wine be of any help ?

Thanks for advice
    Brian

Beans

Hey guys, I love you all a whole lot more than the Wine team does.

The project is registered on GoogleCode now, and as soon as I get a few more things taken care of in the new Python version, I will make the initial SVN merge.

I am willing to take criticism on the UI. I attempted to keep it uniform, scalable and minimal. It is coded in Python with pygtk, meaning it functions perfectly on an initial Ubuntu install without needing special packages. It is written with the same thing all Ubuntu tools are.

I have also slashed out Vera Sans YuanTi and now have things running with packaged fonts for Linux. The current overhead packages are: ttf-arphic-uming, ttf-sazanami-gothic, ttf-sazanami-mincho, ttf-baekmuk, culmus

I may explore breaking this up into different parts in future versions, such as having winelocale, then subpackages like winelocale-ja which would pull the Japanese fonts and unlock Japanese in the options menu. This would solve things for people who are worried about the download size, though I would expect these requirements are far less than users previously dealt with.

Mind you I am not a professional programmer, so I don't have much experience with this kind of thing. I am just another user who is sick of watching "work in languages besides English" bumped to the end of Wine's TODO list for the last decade. My main work is in media, and with the earthquakes here in China and the upcoming Olympics, I have been kind of tied up

My goal is to get a Debian package out that automates all that code page crap and installs the new Python version by the middle of June.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

really looking forward to the GUI. Thanks!

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast