Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: CJK in Wine (Chinese, Japanese & Korean)

Beans

Re: HOWTO: CJK in Wine (Chinese, Japanese & Korean)

Double-check that you don't have Tahoma installed. There's some places in the Wine config I didn't override Tahoma, so if you have that installed, it attempts to use Tahoma instead, which means all this language support stuff breaks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am running Ubuntu 7.04 with Japanese locales and am trying to get two windows dictionary applications, Jamming and DDwin to work under wine. I have no problem with the display of Japanese characters but I cannot input Japanese characters - A small Wine IME opens and allows Japanese character input but when the characters are input into the application they appear as question marks etc. Do you know how to get Japanese input working under wine?

Beans

That I can't help with. I have to use IE for some of my banking stuff that runs on ActiveX and need to be able to enter Chinese. Have not found ANY way to pull it off. I currently type in Mousepad in X and just copy and paste it into the Windows application.

If you come up with a better solution, please share.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Thanks for your reply. I guess a similar copy and paste technique to enter Japanese into the applications I want to use.

On another note, after following your instructions for "CJK in wine" I found that Japanese characters are garbled on man pages displayed in the Ubuntu Help Center, but are not displayed correctly within a terminal window. On my other ubuntu machine Japanese characters are displayed correctly in the Ubuntu Help Center.

I tried restoring my locales to what they were previously but I still get garbled Japanese characters for man pages in the Ubuntu Help Center.

Heres what my system looks like now:

chris@vaio:~$ more /var/lib/locales/supported.d/ja
    ja_JP.UTF-8 UTF-8

chris@vaio:~$ locale -a
    C
    POSIX
    en_AU.utf8
    en_BW.utf8
    en_CA.utf8
    en_DK.utf8
    en_GB.utf8
    en_HK.utf8
    en_IE.utf8
    en_IN
    en_NZ.utf8
    en_PH.utf8
    en_SG.utf8
    en_US.utf8
    en_ZA.utf8
    en_ZW.utf8
    ja_JP.utf8

Do you know how I can get my man pages to be correctly displayed in Ubuntu help center again?

Beans

Try an:
    Code:
    $ echo $LANG
    It sounds like this may be a problem of your machine locale being in SJIS.

Beans

I've been having problem setting up my CJK wine.

I couldn't finish downloading VeraSansYuanTi.tar.gz. "download.ubuntu.org.cn" is always slow to me and the connection close and the download abort. I have download the VeraSansYuanTi from an alternative source and it's in zip instead. I skipped installing that part and go through the rest of the setup.

When I start running a Big5 program using "wineloc -l zh_TW /path/to/executable.exe", It shows some interface in Big5 but it shows lots of things in Korean. Wonder if you know where did I make a mistake...

Beans

VeraSansYuanTi fonts is critical (as mentioned in the original guide). I use wget unlimited retries (more than 150 retrys) to download the fonts eventually. After setting up the VeraSansYuanTi fonts, everything works fine. Now I have a convenient CJK Wine environment. No more existing X Windows and choosing other Languages.

Thank you so much for this great tool!

Beans

I'll try to track down another mirror for the font that will be easier for people outside China. I live here, so it was super quick for me.

Beans

I just tried doing that but apt-get couldn't find ttf-saxanami-mincho package... I went on anyway and now while running 'wineloc -l ja_JP application' I don't get japanese fonts anyway, I probably did something wrong...

But now setup.exe for one program works even worse than it did before, because I get 'Error writing to the temporary location' while trying to start it with both wine and wineloc(before I would get to at least click next 2 times).

Beans

IFailAtLinux: To be honest, most of those fonts aren't even needed. I just make you install them so users inclined to tweak their settings have some fonts to pick from. VeraSansYuanTi is the important one. If you don't install it, then it probably will not work. Unfortunatly, no Ubuntu sites have seen fit to mirror the official Chinese Ubuntu site, so that is the only place to get it.

As for your error. This sounds like a corrupt Wine installation.

Did you follow my instructions which say to use IEs4Linux as a base? If not, whack yourself on the head for failing at Linux. HOWTOs only work when you follow all the directions. If you did follow my directions, then do the following:

Code:
    $ rm -rf ~/.wine/
    $ mkdir ~/.wine
    $ cp -r ~/.ies4linux/ie6/* ~/.wine/
    You should be all set again.

Also, check to make sure /tmp is not on a full-up partition. If Wine is mapping temp files there (possibly symlinking ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp?) that could cause an error.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast