Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PClinuxOS talk

Beans

Re: PClinuxOS talk

Let us know how it is! I was disappointed with very slow Synaptic performance, so I went back to Ubuntu. Also, updates kept writing over my settings in PCLOS, which was discouraging, to say the least. Anyway, this still may be one I recommend to new users.

Beans

Oh this baby is smooth, I think whatever erros she might have had before are gone now
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

ok, haven't had the chance to d/l and burn the new pclinuxOS cd yet, how is it? how much better than tr3?
    Love running state of the art for free rather than a bad kde copy for hundreds, ONCE YOU GO PENGUIN NEVER WINDOWS AGAIN!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darkenedday View Post
    ok, haven't had the chance to d/l and burn the new pclinuxOS cd yet, how is it? how much better than tr3?
    Like Ubuntu, if you have been upgrading since TR3 you probably have the full version. No since in wasting another CD to install the same thing.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by igknighted View Post
    Like Ubuntu, if you have been upgrading since TR3 you probably have the full version. No since in wasting another CD to install the same thing.
    From what I've read on the PcLinuxos forums, that is not that case. If you want all the features and updates of the final, you have to do a fresh install of final.

Beans

It's so simple to use, the "control panel" so-to-speak is wonderful, it comes with java and flash, and it's FAST, I mean REALLY REALLY FAST!
    I tried out PCLinuxOS 2007 today, and I was stunned! Seriously, one of my first questions was "But, but... WHY IS IT SO FAST?" It was amazing. I just don't understand how they did it (I was using the Gnome 2.16 desktop rather than the default KDE) Also, I have to agree, the PCLinuxOS Control Centre was absolutely beautiful!

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
    I am loving pclinuxos2007 test right now, but I am more waiting for Ubuntu Herd or Fiesty release. I am still partial to Ubuntu as things just workmore often. I used to not like pclinuxos as much as Ubuntu dapper. This included Big daddy release .93. I used to have issues with some hardware where it should have worked. I thought I was done with pclinuxos until the 2007 came out. Try it out, you would be surprised with the major improvement over the previous ones which I did not care too much for.

I too was shocked. I've got gnome, kde, xfce, fluxbox, afterstep working. It is equally as great as Ubuntu, well almost.., but it may make you switch from Ubuntu for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by itsjustarumour View Post
    I tried out PCLinuxOS 2007 today, and I was stunned! Seriously, one of my first questions was "But, but... WHY IS IT SO FAST?" It was amazing. I just don't understand how they did it (I was using the Gnome 2.16 desktop rather than the default KDE) Also, I have to agree, the PCLinuxOS Control Centre was absolutely beautiful!
    Well, it made ME switch, although I still prefer this community. And I'll keep feisty on my laptop, as suspend/hibernate work perfectly. So will be sitting on two chairs from now on
    Registered Linux User #403318

Beans

I'm feeling very jealous. Tried to install PCLOS last week. LiveCD ran perfect, but install chucked a kernel error on trying to boot (something about root filesystem not found and trying to kill init...?). Tried twice, verified MD5sums etc. No luck. Also - and this is really the killer preventing me from trying again - after install GParted no longer recognised my partitions! sudo fdisk -l saw everything fine but GParted reported an unallocated lump of a HD! If anyone has any ideas?? Otherwise, enjoy PCLOS you lucky people.

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Doesn't sound good. I would suggest backing up everything just in case. Then maybe clean repartitioning.
    Registered Linux User #403318

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I was waiting for the final to come out to see what it was like. I have to say that I'm very impressed! Nice distro!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast