Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Programming Linux Questions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Programming Linux Questions

Hi,

I am going to give programming under Linux another try. I want to know what is the best IDE for C or C++ with:

1. A easy GUI plugin (i could never get Anjuta to work, maybe i was doing it wrong)
    2. Easy to build and debugg.
    3. If possible plug-ins for other languages.

This is my final attempt with Linux programming, i get really confused and nobody answers my questions!!! (come on! for a expert it is so simple!!!

If all else fails i will go to Mono and learn C#.

Nick.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Programming Linux Questions

You might want to take a look at Trolltech's Designer, coming along with Qt.

I prefer plain vim, though.
    johannes.truschnigg.info - meine Website.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nick.inspiron6400 View Post
    Hi,

I am going to give programming under Linux another try. I want to know what is the best IDE for C or C++ with:

1. A easy GUI plugin (i could never get Anjuta to work, maybe i was doing it wrong)
    Simple; use Glade:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install glade-3
    Use Scons for building and DDD or KDBG for debugging:

Code:
    sudo aptitude install scons ddd kdbg
    ..these are all excellent tools.

I do all coding regardless of language using Emacs. I communicate with multiple interpreters and compilers, and I reach many languages (C/C++, Common Lisp, Scheme, Python, Ruby, PHP, Java, etc.) this way.

See my signature for a link to some writings about C/C++, Scons and GTK+/Glade (GUI-programming).
    Last edited by lnostdal; March 10th, 2007 at 11:50 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Hi,

Two options. Kdevelop, or Eclipse CDT for C/C++. For Java, Eclipse JDT or NetBeans.
    You could also try Code::Blocks for C and C++, but I hear that it is still beta.

Of these, I think only KDevelop has a designer in which you can use Qt Widgets. Or else, you could try Glade that'll help you build forms with GTK+, but I am not sure if that is supplied as a part of any IDE.

I would still recommend using good old-fashioned text editors, gdb and a code profiler.

This is my final attempt with Linux programming, i get really confused and nobody answers my questions!!! (come on! for a expert it is so simple!!!

Nick.
    Why "if all else fails"? Mono is good. And I hear good things about MonoDevelop too, though I've never used it.
    IESVS FELLAT IN INFERNVM

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I'm currently suffering the inverse of this. I'm trying to get my head around C/C++ programming in Windows - the api is just horrible. I'm suffering all kinds of disgusting problems - and all I'm trying to write is a goddamn screensaver! If anyone has any decent guides or howtos on writing a Windows XP screensaver (preferably using C with OpenGL?) I'd be very grateful. I've seen one or two - but after following these tutorials I end up with lots of 'undefined references' and such - even with a straight copy+paste of tutorial code. I'm thinking the libraries have changed since the guides were written?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I am not sure why you wrote this. We all here are free volunteers and nobody owes you anything. All help we provide is in our free time. So maybe to get better answers, you need to learn how to ask questions smarter way.

For instance you did not provided any background. Did you tried to learn programming by yourself? Which languages you tried, which books you used? My ESP sensors do not show anything - Come on experts, does anyone has better luck using ESP on Nick?

My advice for a beginner as first language to learn is Python. It is substantially simpler to start with than C++/Java/C# because there are no "type nazis" checking proper types and blowing off your code, has flexible data structures, and best of all, has shell mode, where you can define variables and try them, and see results immediately. You can even import modules, instantiate objects, and try them. All in Python shell, writing and testing your code one line at a time, one method at a time.

see http://learnpydia.pbwiki.com/HowToStart to start learning Python

Well I am not sure how much better you will be off with C# and Mono. Do they have better, more friendly help community? Do they have more free documentation online? Simpler API to learn?

I just don't think so, but if C# and mono work better for you - all the better. It is nothing which will diminish my pleasure from free software or Ubuntu or Python or anything. Do what is best for you, be grateful for any free help you get, but do not expect miracles - learning programming is hard work to train *your own mind*, nobody can do it for you.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Well if i cant even get a IDE to work. When Visual C# 2005 works all the time, then maybe C# is the way to go. So far Mono has been the only IDE that has worked!!!

Beans

And you already posted a question about a netbeans book... so I guess you're learning Java... why not do some development in Java... it's GPL now, and all distros will include it within this year...

just set the default L&F as GTK and you won't feel *much* of a difference between that and native apps...

and the Netbeans' GUI Builder rocks!!

otherwise, Python/C++ are the most 2 important languages for native linux development...

PS: so you have an Inspiron 6400? cool!! I'm getting one too!!
    Last edited by laxmanb; March 11th, 2007 at 03:57 PM.

Beans

C/C++ programming in Windows... end up with lots of 'undefined references'
    Let me guess. You're trying to use "lowest common denominator" tools (like GCC or Ming) on Windows? Bad choice. Get yourself a Microsoft dev tool and you'll find those "undefined references" go away as soon as you install the tool.

When you use "lowest common denominator" software, then you're asking for major headaches.

I've written a bunch of screensavers with MSVC. No problem. It comes bundled with a full set of includes and libraries for the Win32 API, and it's IDE knows how to find the location of such without requiring the enduser to set environment variables (which is NOT the way to do things on Windows).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by j_g View Post
    Let me guess. You're trying to use "lowest common denominator" tools (like GCC or Ming) on Windows? Bad choice. Get yourself a Microsoft dev tool and you'll find those "undefined references" go away as soon as you install the tool.

When you use "lowest common denominator" software, then you're asking for major headaches.

I've written a bunch of screensavers with MSVC. No problem. It comes bundled with a full set of includes and libraries for the Win32 API, and it's IDE knows how to find the location of such without requiring the enduser to set environment variables (which is NOT the way to do things on Windows).
    Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast