Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alliteration

RealG187 is offline Chocolate-Covered Ubuntu Beans
    Beans

Alliteration

I notice the catchy names "Edgy Eft" and "Dapper Drake"

they both have the same letter in each word, is this intentional? Do all Ubuntu versions do this? [I only know of these two..]

I love the Alliteration....

Beans

Re: Alliteration

Hoary Hedgehog
    breezy badger
    dapper drake
    edgy eft (still can't figure out where eft came from but oh well)
    fiesty fawn

hmmm, yep, looks like all of em. think it makes it easier to remember what version you have then 5.10, 6.06, 6.1, 7.04
    Debian Testing(64bit) + XFCE4 AM2 5200+ ATI Radeon HD4350, 4gig RAM,320Gig and 750gig HDs

what's the difference between an answer and a solution? An answer is what they want to hear, a solution is what they don't want to hear

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes.

Warty Warthog
    Hoary Hedgehog
    Breezy Badger
    Dapper Drake
    Edgy Eft
    Fiesty Fawn

Beans

They are also going to be alphabetical for the most part. Since 6.10 was Edgy Eft and 7.04 will be Feisty Fawn. G... G... is already taken up by Grumpy Groundhog, and H... H... is Hoary Hedgehog, so the next release will be codenamed I... I.... .

Also, in case you didn't know, the numbering scheme has reason to it as well. It's numbered like this:
    Year.Month. So, 6.10 came out in October of 2006 (10/2006) and 7.04 is coming out in April 2007 (04/2007)
    Last edited by maniacmusician; March 10th, 2007 at 04:38 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    They are also going to be alphabetical for the most part. Since 6.10 was Edgy Eft and 7.04 will be Feisty Fawn. G... G... is already taken up by Grumpy Groundhog, so the next release will be codenamed I... I.... .
    Hungry Hippo perhaps?

Beans

Oh, I forgot to say that H was already taken up as well. I'll edit my post, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

If I were a groundhog, I would be grumpy too. Stupid people pulling you out of your nice warm den ever Feb 2....

How about "Insane Ibis"?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by halitech View Post
    edgy eft (still can't figure out where eft came from but oh well)
    Probably has something to do with a version of Debian. A Debian version has a similar name.

PS: Alliteration is appreciated by a Real G 187 (Homicide)? I found that somewhat funny.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    Probably has something to do with a version of Debian. A Debian version has a similar name.

PS: Alliteration is appreciated by a Real G 187 (Homicide)? I found that somewhat funny.
    Nah, the format for the codenames is a certain way. The first word is a personality trait or characteristic. The second word is an animal.

So "Edgy" means new technologies, testing the waters, on the edge. "Eft" is a lizard, like a newt.

That can be applied to any of the release codenames. It doesn't have anything to do with Debian Etch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

For those of you wondering an eft is actually an animal. It's some sort of salamander. I was curious about why this seemed to be the only one without an animal name so I looked it up. They are weird pudgy little red lizards.
    Last edited by viergeame; March 10th, 2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: fixing typo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast