Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subversion 1.4.3 package

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Post Subversion 1.4.3 package

I use Subclipse to work with svn from my Eclipse IDE. I recently upgraded to subclipse 1.2 and now my repositories said that my svn client was too old.

So this brings me to the necesity of upgrading subversion, but given that on the repositories there is only version 1.3.2, I had to compile from source.

I made a package, but I'm a total newbie in this subject. I can't guarantee that it will work for you (help on this topic would be very well appreciated).

http://www.nethazard.net/subversion/...4.3-1_i386.deb

So here I'll give you the instructions to get 1.4.3 from source in case my package didn't work.

Get subversion source:
    and extract the files:
    Code:
    tar xvzf subversion-1.4.3.tar.gz
    tar xvzf subversion-deps-1.4.3.tar.gz
    Okay, now to the building process...

First, make sure you have all development tools

Code:
    sudo aptitude install build-essential
    then install some dependencies
    Code:
    sudo aptitude install libapr1 libapr1-dev libaprutil1 libaprutil1-dev
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libneon25 libneon25-dev
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libdb4.3 libdb4.3-dev db4.3-util libdb4.3++c2 libdb4.3++-dev
    Code:
     sudo apt-get install checkinstall auto-apt
    Finally the compiling steps to build the package and install it:
    Code:
    auto-apt run ./configure --with-ssl --with-apr=/usr/bin/apr-config --with-apr-util=/usr/bin/apu-config
    Code:
    make

sudo checkinstall
    and you are done.

Beans

Re: Subversion 1.4.3 package

If you are an amd64 user you might find the following helpful http://jamesfitzsimons.blogspot.com/...dgy-amd64.html

Beans

This post is literally a year old. Why is there no 1.4 ubuntu subversion package? This feels like debian!! Everyone is compiling 1.4 themselves or using unofficial packages, someone who can should really put it in the official repository!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Agreed...I've found myself in the same situation with the code base i share between windows and linux...Tortoise SVN has upgraded to 1.4, subclipse has upgraded...

WW is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

This is the nature of ubuntu. If you need the latest version of a particular piece of software, you must compile it yourself. In some cases, the developers of the program or some third party may provide a binary package. Or you can prod the backporters to backport the program to whatever version of ubuntu you are using: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=40291

feisty has subversion 1.4.3, so in a few weeks, you can upgrade, and get lots of shiny new (well, relatively new) software.
    Last edited by WW; April 4th, 2007 at 01:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The repos are not changed once the full release comes out except for security patches and bugfixes - its to make sure that all the packages work properly with that distro of ubuntu just in case a new version breaks your ubuntu install. When you upgrade to the new Ubuntu you then get all the new packages as new as when the release comes out.
    Il
    How to help yourself|Ubuntu Guide

* Think you've found a bug? Get it reported using apport-bug.

Beans

Thank you very much Gabrielsadana.

I didn't install your .deb package, I followed your compile instructions, and you saved me.

I've been using Eclipse, and upgraded to 1.4.3 in the Eclipse stuff. This totally messed up my other projects that weren't using Eclipse, because my svn was on version 1.3.2

Now, I can check in / check out my non-Eclipse projects from the command line!

One note:

Before you run this line

Code:
    auto-apt run ./configure --with-ssl <snip>
    You should cd into the subversion1.4.3 directory, because that's where the ./configure script is. You might want to edit your original post to tell newbs that they need to cd to the directory where they un-tarred the files.

Thanks again!

--Took

Beans

I have adapted a script found on internet to install in one click subversion 1.4.2 on ubuntu Edgy
    check out http://21croissants.blogspot.com/200...tbeans-on.html

Beans

I had no luck with the configure command, but this works for me:

Code:
    apt-get install apache2-devel
    Code:
    auto-apt run ./configure --with-ssl --with-apxs=/usr/bin/apxs2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know which Ubuntu version you are all using, but I'm using 7.04 (64-bit) and installed Subversion via the package management system and got version 1.4.3.

So for Ubuntu 7.04 at least there is an up-to-date Subversion package.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast