View Poll Results: What Operating System did you use before using Ubuntu?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows XP

61 67.03%
  • Windows 2000

17 18.68%
  • Windows 95-98

16 17.58%
  • Mac OS 9

3 3.30%
  • Mac OS X

7 7.69%
  • Other Linux distro

30 32.97%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: What OS did you use before you found Ubuntu? When and how did you find Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What OS did you use before you found Ubuntu? When and how did you find Ubuntu?

WinBlows : 95,98,ME,XP,Vista
    Red Hat , Mandriva , Fedora , Damn Small Linux and now im dual booting XP and Linux cuz of gaming addiction
    The truth is always beautiful, no matter how ugly it might seem at first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: What OS did you use before you found Ubuntu? When and how did you find Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by Koji-Murasame View Post
    I used Windows XP until about two years ago when I first learned about Linux from a friend. My friend gave me several distros to try including Ret Hat, Suse, and Slackware. I tried these and downloaded Knoppix also. I wasn't really satisfied with these distros mostly because most didn't work very well on a clean install. At that point my friend was trying out Ubuntu himself and told me about it. I put Ubuntu on an old IBM 390X laptop to try it out (there wasn't a live CD for Ubuntu then). I liked it so much I installed it on a separate hard drive on my desktop and dual booted. Another friend of mine told me that if I liked Gnome I should try KDE instead because it was easier to configure a wider variety of stuff, so I did and downloaded Kubuntu. Within the last year I have become attached to Xubuntu because of it's lightweight and minimalistic install and the fact it uses a lot of the applications I want.
    Sounds like you've had experience with quite a range of distros.

Beans
    Distro

Ha, main reason anybody here uses XP anymore, unless they need it for specific software at work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Condoulo View Post
    Good Luck on choosing a distro. If it were my choice, I'd choose one that uses GNOME by default. I'm not a big fan of KDE myself.
    i have plenty of time. im going to get the ubuntu and kubuntu live cds today and see what i like, and probably a couple of others to see how i like the look and feel of them

after looking into BSDs a bit more today ill skip it. support for linux is good, but not as thorough for the BSDs, though if i ever get a chance to setup a LAN ftp server or a firewall or some such id probably play with one.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pugwash View Post
    XP Media Center edition, woo....

It was slowly grinding to a halt, and about a month ago I decided enough was enough (its a new laptop as well). I've been hearing good things about linux for the last couple of years on the net and I tried an ubuntu livecd about a year ago which impressed me, so I decided to set up a dual boot system. I was also suffering from pc gaming addiction which was beginning to affect my studies and two weeks in I decided to totally wipe xp as I realised I could do everything I needed on ubuntu. Now I am free of MS, and I can get down to my studies without getting distracted by pc games.
    DO NOT EVER:

sudo apt-get install tremulous

Really... don't

Beans

This poll suggests I traded a system in to use Ubuntu, but I didn't. I simply added a machine to run Ubuntu Server and use VMware Server to run a few Windows servers, just to fool around with them. In the mean time i also added 2 playgrounds for Ubuntu! I AM getting the taste for it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by xSauronx View Post
    i have plenty of time. im going to get the ubuntu and kubuntu live cds today and see what i like, and probably a couple of others to see how i like the look and feel of them

after looking into BSDs a bit more today ill skip it. support for linux is good, but not as thorough for the BSDs, though if i ever get a chance to setup a LAN ftp server or a firewall or some such id probably play with one.
    Have fun with that. Only problem I have with Kubuntu vs. other KDE versions of Linux is Kubuntu doesn't come with my favorite software packages such as GIMP or Firefox. So thats why I stick to regular Ubuntu and installed KDE afterwards. But for some reason, I just happen to stick to GNOME.

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Exclamation Re: What OS did you use before you found Ubuntu? When and how did you find Ubuntu?

I started with DOS 5.something, then had the old windows 3.0 and 3.1 and 3.11 and 95 ad nauseum. Once I finished University I decided that when my computer broke ("ntoskernel.exe not found, or something similar) that I would not be going back. I tried a few distros, the best were Fedora and Knoppix, but between my n00bishness and some minor frustrations I kept trying new distros until Ubuntu.

I found the #Ubuntu channel and they sorted me out. I don't plan on going back.

I still use the old XP at work though. We don't plan on moving to vista any time soon, but we will eventually, unfortunately.

Beans
    Distro

Wow.

Beans

Windows XP here... my good friend, Isa, is a nut for Ubuntu. She's always talking about the wonderful things she can do with it.

Finally, I got fed up with XP running like complete crap on my desktop machine, so I took my desktop to her place and asked her to help me get started. She showed me around how to do basic stuff, and how to find the help I need to get things done.

And I couldn't be happier with it. I run a network in a public high school, and I just talked to the principal and the programming teacher, and we are going to set up a number of computers here in the school as dual-boot machines running Feisty as well as XP. I have already helped a number of my students switch over, who were curious about Linux.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast