Re: Introduction Request

Hello all,

My name is Cesar
    29 years old
    Work as an auditor for an insurance company in Newark
    I am originally from the Bronx, NY
    Moved to South Plainfield New Jersey
    Married for almost 3 years now.
    To balance out all the time I spend riding a desk chair, I weight train and box.
    I would not call myself a movie buff, but I do enjoy all sorts of movies.
    I am more of a hardware guy then a software guy, but I am hoping to learn and change that.
    I actually bought a Zune and like it! GASP!
    I am going to have shoulder surgery next week and subsequently I am forced to stay home for a few days, I decided I wanted to use that time to install/learn ubuntu linux on my Dell Inspiron 1501.

I am impressed with everything I have seen so far!
    Last edited by IronLike Monkey; March 26th, 2007 at 02:07 AM.

Beans

Talking Re: Introduction Request

Hey guys.

I'm Bryce. I'm 20 and started way back in the 8th grade with Mandrake 7 way back when. I have always had a linux on my boxen since then. I have installed 9 flavors of linux and win 98 (deca-boot) with lilo for the fun of it without destroying any data just for the fun of it. I've used Ubuntu since the beginning. My favourite mini distro is Puppy Linux. I don't have windows installed on any of my main computers. I know how to add probed hexcodes to the modules files to assign a piece of hardware to a particular driver. I work at a job that lets me play with linux guts and do some scripting and app packaging in windows.
    I'm a vim kinda guy for most editing, I've been on a bit of an emacs kick recently because it's required for my compilers class. There is only one good music player on linux and that's Amarok. I don't like KDE, I like Enlightenment and cannot wait till DR17 to be stable. I like GTK well enough and Gnome is a decent DE. I only play a few games. Terminal Velocity, FFVII, and soon FFVIII. I love Heroes, I don't have a TV so i just watch them online or download them.
    I love talking about linux and all sorts of geeky stuff. I shoot photography professionally with Laura Eaton Photography as an assistant. I use ImageMagick and some custom scripts to process my jpg's for proofing, I do raw processing in UFRaw and my image editing in GIMP.
    That's about it for now I hope to meet up with you guys later. Oh and I got to school at The College of New Jersey.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

My turn.

My name is Allen.
    I live in Burlington, NJ. I hate living in NJ and want to move to somewhere else.
    I work on McGuire AFB.
    I drink occasionally.
    I smoke way too much.
    I've been married for nine years.
    I have three cats, three parrots, a dog, and three aquariums.
    I am a medic in the USAF
    I am 28 years old.
    I went to East Carolina University.
    I am pursuing a degree in Nursing.
    My favorite colors are black and red, although chocolate runs a close third.
    I have a PS2, a Sega Genesis, and a N64. I haven't played any of them in over a year. I have no desire to play video games, or to buy an XBox 360 or PS3, although the Wii looks like fun.
    I watch Prison Break, Heroes, The Black Donnelly's, Future Weapons, House, Dirt, LOST, Mythbusters, My Name is Earl, The Office, and Scrubs religiously.
    I hate Deal Or No Deal, The Apprentice, 1 vs 100, Extreme Makeover (either one), American Idol or any other "game" or "reality" shows and anything on MTV.
    I love music of almost all kinds, but I'm going through a metal phase right now.
    I have an iPod Shuffle and I do buy stuff from iTunes, a lot more than my wife would like, but I do like it since I can find a lot music there that I can't find in any store.
    I am a Panthers fan
    I watch Nascar, I'm a Denny Hamlin fan, and I try to go to both races at Dover and Pocono every season.
    I love snowboarding.
    I didn't care too much for bungee jumping.
    I love riding mountain bikes, not too keen on horses, though.
    I like camping, hiking, and canoing.
    I can't swim.
    I'm allergic to chrome.
    I run at least three miles a day.
    I like going bowling, but haven't gone in years.
    It was awesome have my truck buried to the windows in mud; cleaning it afterwards was a b**ch though, and I've sworn that I'll never do it again.
    I like tailgating and grilling, but can't cook, and have given myself food poisoning before.
    I do semi-custom fabrication for vehicles in my spare time, which seems to be diminishing.
    I like photography, but hate having my picture taken.
    Most interesting thing I've done so far: Bottle feeding a 5-hour old monkey.

And finally:
    I'm a complete noob at Linux. I've tried Knoppix, then Ubuntu (LiveCD then made my laptop a dual boot). I've been using Ubuntu almost exclusively for about a month. I switched because I was sick of Windows for numerous reasons; I just haven't been able to completely liberate myself . . . yet. The closest I've come to programming is working on a web page with Nvu . . . and screwing around with GWBasic when I was in 8th grade. I do have some experience with networking (hardware/cable end of it) and have hardwired LAN drops in every room in my house, but I usually use the wireless so there aren't any cables for the cats can chew up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I've been on and off linux for about 5 years. Im still new. I live in central jersey.... thats about it

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Name's Henry
    Work in Clifton NJ
    Reside in the Pocono's
    Settled on Kubuntu 7x and XP
    Eventually want to learn and use Kubuntu always
    Took a few courses in college; comp sci, info tech - but that's about it
    Quick learner & enjoy messing up & then fixing my pc

Beans
    Hidden!

Ok, my turn?
    My name is Lou.
    36 year old in Maple Shade.
    Work in accounting.
    Run Feisty on a desktop, my notebook, and just shipped my mom a laptop with Ubuntu installed.
    My desktop is 64bit, the others are 32.
    Setup took some time on each desktop, afterwards, all was cool.
    -Lou

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am Charlie, Live on Old Bridge (Middlesex County) and work in Bridgewater (Somerset County) in the Tech Field.

I will be 38 on June 25
    I am divorced with 2 kids (17 and 10).

I use Ubuntu 7.04 on a Pentium III (Coppermine) 833 MHz, but I am ordering a Dell e1505n Ubuntu laptop this week. I also have a 333Mhz Notebook that runs Puppy Linux, in addition to a few other old PCs around. .

I started my Linux adventure in 2002 with a Pentium I, 166 MHz box that everyone told me to throw away, but stubbornly decided it had to have a use, I got the book Linux Weekend Crash Course by Naba Barkakati which came with Red Hat 6.2 (I think), and have had a Linux box of some kind ever since. (the P I-166 MHz box I finally recycled in Jan 2007, when the fan went and blew the processor)

I have used many flavors of Linux; MEPIS, PC Linux, Puppy, SLAX, Mandrake/ Mandriva, RedHat/Fedora (among others), even tried Ubuntu 5.05 for a bit, and one of my favorites is Damn Small Linux (DSL) (doesn't every one carry a linux distro in there wallet ?).

7.04, I feel, has found a good balance between FOSS and the great ease of adding proprietary software, with a mild warning. Ubuntu is high end software that doesn't require a high end PC to run on.

Besides work, kids, commuting, and Linux, I am a Christian, and am now helping a friend start a church in Paterson, I am also a member of the Green Party.

I recently discovered the plethora of Linux PodCasts out there, and am enjoying them a lot on I-287

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Welcome to everyone on the board. My name is Jerry I live in Newark Nj Essex County. I am new to Ubuntu been using it for about 2 weeks, but liked it so much that did get rid of XP. I am glad to see a LoCo forum for Jersey. See everyone else I know here uses Windows. I would love to contribute and be part of this NJ LoCo Team.....
    I am 40 wow how time flys..lol, anyways hey I like drinking also spending time with the kids and overall just having a good time and trying to learn atleast one new thing a day.
    Last edited by Jerr973; June 21st, 2007 at 04:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hey, my names Mike, i live in Parsippany. I'm 19, i have a full time job as a PHP Programmer and I'm a Senior Network Administrator at a second job. I deal with a lot of Windows 2003 Server, and i hate active directory. I'm A+, Net+, and Lin+ certified by comptia, and have an MCSE. I love programming.

I've done LFS, Mandrake, Mepis, XenOS, Fedora 8 Beta, and i've been using Ubuntu since Dapper. I became active on the forums when i installed Linux on my laptop, because i've encountered so many problems, i dont whitnki've ever seen before.

I spend all my free time infront of the computer.

Must say, i'm a fan of Mac OSX, and when i get a chance, i will definetly pick up a macbook pro.

Nice to meet you all.
    Fluxbox, PHP, CLI, Donuts and Chocolate Milk. All i need to say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi:
    Im Vernon from East Orange, NJ

Pfizer Pharmaceutical IT Manage

Masters in Internet Security

Ubunutu 4 Life!
    Pokey Styles
    RumShop Research, Inc.

Never argue with and idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you on experience!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast