Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beginner Team has started

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: The Beginner Team has started

Quote Originally Posted by quasimodo69 View Post
    to roger_melly..
    I am like you.While Micro$oft's selling point was point and clik..and simplicity...it is what we want...but it has problems..security mainly..and the fault is slow response to consumers and even slower response to problems..and while I applaud the move to simplicty that is being shown and the amazing effort of all who have solved problems and vetted the solutions,..with each new advancement in the OS the security problems increase and the learning curve does too.
    I ask the indulgence of the beginner team to refer new questions to a viable link to solve the posters question if they are cogizent of it. and to please provide a respone with a step by step explinatin of the cure for the posters question.
    Thnx for your consideration of my ramblings..
    and when will we find a cure for the dreaded shut down ....?
    Long Live Ubuntu!
    Hi Quasi

I run an AMD64 version of Ubuntu 7.10 with a nVidia G71 [GeForce 7300 GS] card. It all runs fine but it did take some time to set up, I recall.

Firstly, It's a good idea to include your hardware and software spec in your signature. That lets us all know what kit you are running on.

You first need to check that you have installed the correct version of Ubuntu for your AMD64 motherboard, that is AMD64 Ubuntu.

Then check out this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=628981

I would be interested to hear how you get on.

BACKGROUND
    There are two nVidia card drivers, one is called nv (file name is nvidia-glx) the other is called nvidia (file name nvidia-glx-new). The names 'nv' and 'nvidia' are used in the graphics configuration file /etc/Xll/xorg.conf.

From memory, the nVidia 5200 card can run the nvidia-glx-new driver. This is the accelerated graphics driver required for Compiz.

nVidia have a generic linux driver at http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...100.14.19.html
    that I believe is used by Ubuntu in their Restricted Drivers Manager. To load it tick the 'enabled' box.
    Itch: Think Hula hoop, positive on top, negative on bottom, roll it. Is it a wave or a particle? Is it a photon? Is a photon a dipole? Are we all made of light!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

I would like to know where I can find the main commands used on the terminal for Ubuntu ..... It would be really helpfull...

I was a Dos user before moving under Windows and now just using Ubuntu without trying to know the commandssssssss..

Thanks for your help !!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Errare View Post
    Hi,

I would like to know where I can find the main commands used on the terminal for Ubuntu ..... It would be really helpfull...

I was a Dos user before moving under Windows and now just using Ubuntu without trying to know the commandssssssss..

Thanks for your help !!!
    Please check out:
    http://linuxcommand.org/
    "Security lies within the user of who runs the system. Think smart, live safe." - Dr Small
    Linux User #441960 | Wiki: DrSmall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Please check out:
    Cheers !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Small View Post
    Please check out:
    Thanks for this great resource. I too am relatively new to linux and have found these forums to be one of the best things about Ubuntu relative to any other distro. This is a great help to people like me. Keep up the good work!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thanks for starting this. I'm trying to learn all I can about ubuntu before installing it. I think this will be very helpful to me. I'll keep checking back.

Beans

Hello.
    i would just give my opinion on ubuntu.

AND I LOVE IT !!
    i have hade it for 4 days or so and i can say that i love the challenge of using ubuntu (linux)

Though i find it hard to learn all the commands and set it up.

so fare i mannage to learn a bit about apt-get (apt-get install)
    atm im working on "trying" to get a vnc server up and running (manage to install it YEAH )
    But in all its going well , i use this forum a lot.

Thank you for all the Info i get (this threath)

//Matrux /TheFantom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Hi all,

This Beginner Team is a brilliant idea!

I'm such a newbie to Linux and Ubuntu, that I pretty much squeek.

However, having said that; I'm SO loving both the OS and the people around here.

Try and get this many helpful people when you have a windows question. Not gonna happen.

I ordered the installation disc a few months ago, but never got around to trying it till the last few weeks. I played around on the live cd for a while and it was fun; so I finally just loaded it Christmas Eve.

It's been non-stop "Wow, COOL", ever since. I think I'm starting to bug my friends, with the constant "You gotta SEE this", stuff. but whatever.

Anyway, I found this forum BEFORE I installed Linux and I think reading on it and seeing how helpful people try to be is what encouraged me to go ahead and install it.

So thanks again to EVERYBODY!

Surprisingly, I don't have any real questions or problems (YET), but I do have one possible suggestion for the beginners team. How practical it would be to actually do, I have no idea.

My big idea would be to start a thread called something like "Dear Ubuntu" or "Ask Ubuntu", like a "Dear Abby" thing, where newbies can ask general questions that don't require a lot of technical help.

Stuff like: I just installed Ubuntu 6.06 and see that there is a 7.4 version; should I upgrade to this new version right away, or learn on the older version first?

Or: I'm getting ready to buy a new printer, can you suggest a kind that works well with Ubuntu.

Stuff like that

I don't know how practical it would be for you guys to do something like that, but I do believe it would be VERY popular.

Thanks again to the entire Ubuntu crew and everybody at the forum here, for making my transition easier than I thought it would be.=D>

Beans

Thumbs up Re: The Beginner Team has started

Hi all i'm new to the Ubuntu arena- I downloaded and installed Ubuntu two days ago and I must say that I like it. I had been using windows since 3.1.
    I tried Lindows back in the past and for whatever reason it didn't work to well.
    Being able to boot into a system where there's less worry of hackers/virus actions is like a breath of fresh air.
    So far i've downloaded all 148 updates and installed firestarter and guarddog (for my peace of mind) as old habits are die hard.

cheers and happy new year
    confused1

Lian Li, Intel Duo-core 6420 2.14GHz, 2GB Corsair C5400Pro Twin-matched, Seagates 160/320GB, and ATI X-700
    485W Enermax PS, Thermaltake Cooler

Beans

Thumbs up Re: The Beginner Team has started

[FONT="Arial"]Hi i'm new to the Ubuntu arena- i downloaded and installed Ubuntu 7.10 two days ago and I must say that I like it. I had been using windows since 3.1. I tried Lindows back in the past and for whatever reason it didn't work to well.
    Being able to boot into a system where there's less worry of hackers/virus actions is like a breath of fresh air.
    So far i've downloaded all 148 updates and installed firestarter and guarddog (for my peace of mind) as old habits are hard to break.

cheers and happy new year
    confused1

Lian Li, ASUS P5B, Intel Duo-core 6420 2.14GHz, 2GB Corsair C5400Pro Twin-matched, Seagates 160/320GB, and ATI X-700 485W Enermax PS, and Thermaltake Cooler.

Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast