Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apple's non-standard HTML 5 standards demo

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Apple's non-standard HTML 5 standards demo

Did anyone view Apple's HTML5 demo?

http://apple.com/html5/

You probably didn't because Apple only allowed it to work on Safari.

I have written a blog post about how it can't be viewed on Linux on my company's blog. I would like to know what the Ubuntu community thinks about it.

http://www.9ironproductions.com/blog/#apple_html5

If you have a Windows or OS X machine their demo is worth looking at because some of it is actually very cool.

(I don't mean this to seem like spam, I'm honesly curious about what you guys think)
    Last edited by Alan James; June 5th, 2010 at 09:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Apple's non-standard HTML 5 standards demo

Nice blog article. Looks like a lot of other people are noticing how Apple's "standards" are not true web standards that benefit everyone. Slashdot has an article on it now... http://apple.slashdot.org/story/10/0...dard?art_pos=5
    Stephen : Graphic Designer | Atari fan | Opera user since 1997

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How can anyone trust Apple, Think M$ is bad Apple is Worst I Tunes Takes over Windows PC's but people on this forum wants i-tunes on ubuntu you buy an over priced I-Pad and apple wants to tell you what you can use it for, buy a Mac if apple don't approve it it don't run So no one should think they will play fair in HTML 5 Stds. Used a Friends Mac watched the demo So what the open source comm. Need to work with Google at least we Know where they stand.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think that everyone does what is in their own best interest. With that being said I think Google is pushing for open web standards not because they care about open source technology but because an open web is an easier one to index. This creates better search results which brings them most customers which brings them more revenue from ads. This isnt good or evil of them, its just how business works.

On the other hand Apple does not have a search engine and thus does not have a real reason to support web standards. They support standards for marketing purposes only and again this is not good or evil of them.

The only problem I have with Apple is that they are hypocrites. They take credit for starting WebKit and making it open source. However, they don't tell their customers that it HAD to be open source because it came from KHTML, which uses the LGPL license.

I am all for free enterprise, but I want it to be honest. Apple has shown several times that they will say one thing and do another.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I edited my user-agent string to view their demo. I got past the "you have to download Safari in order to view this demo" screen to one that says "This demo contains H.264 video. Windows users can download QuickTime to enable support for this industry-standard." Kinda like rubbing salt in the wound.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Websites for Safari-only is a dirty move. Chrome is also a webkit app. But no, got to have safari!

Beans

How can they possibly publish a webpage called "HTML5 and Open Standards" that only works with their own web browser?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The reality is HTML 5 isn't done yet.
    The demos in there are some examples of in progress HTML 5 abilities that currently Safari can do.

But no, this thread is just another instance of Apple/Microsoft doing ANYTHING which is obviously evil because we're on a forum about a Linux operating system.
    If the only reason you think your software is better is because it's FOSS, you need to write better software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post
    The demos in there are some examples of in progress HTML 5 abilities that currently Safari can do.

But no, this thread is just another instance of Apple/Microsoft doing ANYTHING which is obviously evil because we're on a forum about a Linux operating system.
    Chrome/Chromium support the things that Apple claims only they support. That's dishonest and hypocritical, to say the least.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Merk42 View Post

Right!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast