Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

Crimesaucer-

Good how2 m8.

I have managed to get a theme using the xfce gtk engine working and looking ok in Ubuntu Feisty.

I have attached a couple of screenshots of the xfce-winter hack I did as a result of this guide.
    There are 2 shots of nautilus-I am going with the second style which uses a darker gradient-this way it blends in with the window frame better. It looks better in firefox that way too
    The panel is an image I made in GIMP (I have made hundreds of panel bars with gimp and use them by way of the panels right-click properties box).

I echo all who have asked for a clearlooks-engine guide similar to this. It would be great if there could be one for the 'pixbuff' engine too as I reckon that could be made to look pretty cool. I have been playing around with the 'Human' theme that comes as default with Ubuntu. It uses the clearlooks engine but I am slowly getting the hang of themeing it myself. I am just a bit lost around all of the 'class' variables and stuff like that. I only started playing around with these gtkrc files the other day and am surprised at how easy it is to get the hang of them.

Again, nice post crimesaucer.

peace

dk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dkaddict; September 10th, 2007 at 02:51 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

this code (from post 31)
    Code:
    #browser tabs {
        -moz-appearance: none !important;
        background-color: none !important;
        background: url("<some_bg>.png") repeat-x top !important;
        height: 25px;
        padding: 0px;
        border: 0px;
        margin: 0px;
        }
    didn't work much for me.
    I want a flat tab look in FF for non selected tabs. I've tried a flat color pnf as background, a simple color as background, I 've also tried to play with:
    Code:
    tab {
        -moz-appearance: none !important;
        background-color: <some_color> !important;
    }
    but I m stuck with FF tabs gradients.
    Any suggestions ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by dkaddict View Post

I echo all who have asked for a clearlooks-engine guide similar to this. It would be great if there could be one for the 'pixbuff' engine too as I reckon that could be made to look pretty cool. I have been playing around with the 'Human' theme that comes as default with Ubuntu. It uses the clearlooks engine but I am slowly getting the hang of themeing it myself. I am just a bit lost around all of the 'class' variables and stuff like that. I only started playing around with these gtkrc files the other day and am surprised at how easy it is to get the hang of them.
    pixbuf engine permit (almost) all what you want for theming, but it tooks much more memory/proc IMO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dkaddict View Post
    Crimesaucer-

Good how2 m8.

I have managed to get a theme using the xfce gtk engine working and looking ok in Ubuntu Feisty.

I have attached a couple of screenshots of the xfce-winter hack I did as a result of this guide.
    There are 2 shots of nautilus-I am going with the second style which uses a darker gradient-this way it blends in with the window frame better. It looks better in firefox that way too
    The panel is an image I made in GIMP (I have made hundreds of panel bars with gimp and use them by way of the panels right-click properties box).

Again, nice post crimesaucer.

peace

dk
    Thank you.

Beans

I would like to say,as many have, thank you. That was an excellent guide when I was a novice; it really helped me get a handle on the whole process. I've now got a theme that I am very pleased with, there is only one problem. I'm not sure what to call them(I'm thinking alt-text, for some reason), but whenever you hover your cursor over a button, text appears in a yellow box. The only problem is, I have white text, which makes it very difficult to read. I was wondering if you knew how to change the colour of the box (or the writing, if it didn't change ALL text). Again, many thanks!

Beans

hello!

can someone tell me how to edit this window item or how it is called?
    I'm trying to change it's color...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by melonenmelli View Post
    hello!

can someone tell me how to edit this window item or how it is called?
    I'm trying to change it's color...
    Those are the Range sliders.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xl_cheese View Post
    Those are the Range sliders.

perfect!

thanks very much!

i added:

Code:
    style "range"
    {

bg[PRELIGHT]  		= "#20FF00"
       bg[NORMAL] 			= "#43C632"

}

Beans

I use a dark theme in Xubuntu (Neutronium Gilouche)

The problems come with Text color on active texts links:

I can't read very well because the color is blue and the contrast with the background is very low.

How can i change the color of the text links?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello hello,

Thanks to this how2 I have been getting well into hacking these gtkrc files and have even uploaded a couple of my creations at Gnome look.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would like to see a how2 such as the one here for the clearlooks engine. What I have discovered since is that themes written for the clearlooks engine are relatively short and really only offer one the opportunity to change the colours of the widgets and buttons etc.

To really make a mess I downloaded a load of different themes from gnome-look.org, unpacked them, and searched through all of the folders until I found one that used the pixmap engine, had seperate 'rc' files for the menu-bar, tool-bar, and panel, and had folders containing '.png' images for virtually every button, arrow, slider etc that the theme used. To make my changes was as easy as creating, for eg, a button with the GIMP and saving it either as the original file name or changing the path in the gtkrc file for the given image.

The links below are what I came up with by way of hacking the 'FC-Fino-Core' theme (can't find it again at Gnome-Look-search=0 results?????) which uses the pixmap engine.

My first hack

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67052

My final effort

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67118

Having got the hang of the pixmap engine, I had another delve into some themes and found one which uses the 'Aurora' engine. The Aurora engine is similar to Clearlooks and Murrine so much of the layout and the buttons/scrollbar look is fixed. it can be changed by way of incorporating the pixmap engine but I am only just working all of that out so...

Anyway, I started with a bog standard Aurora gtkrc, stole a few lines of code which gave me the opportunity to create my own toolbar style and panel and came up with the next two themes.

First attempt

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67305

Final

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67321

Now I ain't posting my themes to big up myself. That would not be wise because my themes are nowhere near as well made as crimesaucers or any of the other themers out there. I only post them to show that if a newb like me can get creative, anyone can do it if they follow the guide at the start of this thread.

This how2 has given me loads of entertainment and I am well and truly addicted to hacking themes now!!

peace

dk

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast