Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

Beans

Re: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

Quote Originally Posted by dkaddict View Post
    Hello hello,

Thanks to this how2 I have been getting well into hacking these gtkrc files and have even uploaded a couple of my creations at Gnome look.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I would like to see a how2 such as the one here for the clearlooks engine. What I have discovered since is that themes written for the clearlooks engine are relatively short and really only offer one the opportunity to change the colours of the widgets and buttons etc.

To really make a mess I downloaded a load of different themes from gnome-look.org, unpacked them, and searched through all of the folders until I found one that used the pixmap engine, had seperate 'rc' files for the menu-bar, tool-bar, and panel, and had folders containing '.png' images for virtually every button, arrow, slider etc that the theme used. To make my changes was as easy as creating, for eg, a button with the GIMP and saving it either as the original file name or changing the path in the gtkrc file for the given image.

The links below are what I came up with by way of hacking the 'FC-Fino-Core' theme (can't find it again at Gnome-Look-search=0 results?????) which uses the pixmap engine.

My first hack

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67052

My final effort

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67118

Having got the hang of the pixmap engine, I had another delve into some themes and found one which uses the 'Aurora' engine. The Aurora engine is similar to Clearlooks and Murrine so much of the layout and the buttons/scrollbar look is fixed. it can be changed by way of incorporating the pixmap engine but I am only just working all of that out so...

Anyway, I started with a bog standard Aurora gtkrc, stole a few lines of code which gave me the opportunity to create my own toolbar style and panel and came up with the next two themes.

First attempt

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67305

Final

http://www.gnome-look.org/content/sh...?content=67321

Now I ain't posting my themes to big up myself. That would not be wise because my themes are nowhere near as well made as crimesaucers or any of the other themers out there. I only post them to show that if a newb like me can get creative, anyone can do it if they follow the guide at the start of this thread.

This how2 has given me loads of entertainment and I am well and truly addicted to hacking themes now!!

peace

dk
    Actually, those are really nice looking.

I actually compiled the aurora engine and the murrine engine last night because I am planning on learning to make themes for those two engines, as well as the clearlooks engine with the glossy look of the new Gnome.

I really like those fading tabs and buttons you did, and everything else too. Those are both very good, and I like both of the color themes also.

Feel free to post any more themes or info, as well as links to your downloads.

nikoPSK is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Red face Re: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

very, very nice!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've been reading through your posts and so far this seems like it could be real simple to do, but, alas, I've run into a bit of a snag. The theme folder will not let me save or paste my edited GTKRC file into it. So I can edit a file but not put it in the right directory.

How can I get it so I can put my edited file into the theme directory?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Neon612 View Post
    I've been reading through your posts and so far this seems like it could be real simple to do, but, alas, I've run into a bit of a snag. The theme folder will not let me save or paste my edited GTKRC file into it. So I can edit a file but not put it in the right directory.

Use sudo or gksudu to start your editor. Alternatively, copy the theme to your ~/.themes directory and modify it there. Since it is now in a directory that your user owns, you will have permission to modify it without sudo.

Beans

Arrow Re: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neon612 View Post

press Alt-F2 and type
    gksudo nautilus

but be careful you are now browsing as root and can really screw things up.

as Yabbaddabbadont says it is wiser to install your theme in your home/.themes folder. it is hidden.

This is what works for me......

To do this create a folder on your desktop yourthemename/gtk-2.0/gtkrc

then compress it yourthemename.tar.gz

open theme manager window (appearance) and click install navigate to your .tar.gz file
    click open.

now go to customize your theme should be under the controls tab.
    You need to click some other theme first and then select your them for it to take affect. Don't know why this happens but there you have it.

Hope that helps

Beans

If you install it in $HOME/.themes, then it won't be applied to root. I would suggest a symlink from there to /usr/share/themes so that you can develop it and avoid inconsistancies.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Unhappy Re: A Beginner "How To" for gtkrc themes.

hello there,

thanks for sharing your insites and super howto too.

my question:
    does anybody know how to change the insensitive color of insensitive text?

i am making a dark theme and it is looking better and better, but the insitives are insensitive: white offsets are psychadelic and irritating..

please help,

thanks 10000x times
    Last edited by hihihi; August 12th, 2008 at 10:26 PM.
    everything has an end, the sausage has two.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<"linux worms"

Beans

Hello

I'm looking for the variable to change this colour (see attachment) but i can find in this guide, does anyone know how to change the colour for vertical and horizontal scrollbar when they are inactive, when the mouse is not over them?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    mujeres y hombres de esta tierra
    un otro mundo es posible
    otro mundo diferente
    justo si, y sin miedo de su gente

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hey I've got a theme I really like but I want to make the close & minimise buttons on the xfwm4 window edge lighter. Can you tell me which line for that?

Thank you!
    VIA PX mobo, VIA C7 1Ghz CPU, 4Gb ATA SSD, laptop LCD via VGA, Xubuntu 8.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leetrefz View Post
    Hey I've got a theme I really like but I want to make the close & minimise buttons on the xfwm4 window edge lighter. Can you tell me which line for that?

Thank you!
    It's been a while since I was active in this thread.... I use Gnome now that I have 4GB's of ram on a dual core, and themeing for clearlooks and murrina is pretty easy.

But to answer this question about xfwm4 buttons, you would have to replace the .png buttons with the newer lighter ones that you would make using gimp.

I've made a few basic xfwm4 themes (all using the default kokodi theme), you should go to the /usr/share/themes/"window-theme-that-you're-using"/xfwm4 directory.

In there you will see both .xpm files and .png files, as well as a themerc. You can modify some things in the themerc, you can also change the shape/size/color of your window theme by modifing all of the .xpm files. For the buttons and gloss efect, you can make your own .png images to replace the other .png images that go over the .xpm backgrounds. Just keep everything the same size.

It's a bit of work. I hope this helps.

These are a couple of my newest Gnome clearlooks themes, with my own UbuntuStudio icons theme, and emerald theme:

Large View: http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...reenshot-2.png

Large View: http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...enshot-5-1.png

Large View: http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...eenshot-11.jpg

Large View: http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/r...eenshot-10.png
    Last edited by crimesaucer; September 15th, 2008 at 03:24 PM.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast