Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netbeans Programming Book

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Netbeans Programming Book

Hi,

Does anyone know a good book that will teach me both Java and NetBeans. I have no programming experience, so this book will have to be for the beginner.

Thanks,

Nick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Netbeans Programming Book

Quote Originally Posted by nick.inspiron6400 View Post
    Does anyone know a good book that will teach me both Java and NetBeans. I have no programming experience, so this book will have to be for the beginner.
    As i just explained in this thread, IMHO java is not good language for beginner - especially not good for self-learner. Try Python instead, when you will have better feel about programming, learn java or C++ or C# or whatever you need for job/carieer/task in hand.

To start with Python: http://learnpydia.pbwiki.com/HowToStart

That said, best book to learn Java IMHO is "Headfirst Java".

Beans

Don't get too intimidated about Java...

http://www.netbeans.org/kb/articles/books.html

Has all the books that teach Java with Netbeans & links to the publisher/Amazon... there'll be reviews at Amazon/other online stores, so do some research before you buy...

Best of Luck!!

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    As i just explained in this thread, IMHO java is not good language for beginner - especially not good for self-learner. Try Python instead, when you will have better feel about programming, learn java or C++ or C# or whatever you need for job/carieer/task in hand.

To start with Python: http://learnpydia.pbwiki.com/HowToStart

That said, best book to learn Java IMHO is "Headfirst Java".
    Java was my first language and i taught my self...i guess it depends on the person
    Visit my Blog at http://rekahsoft.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I think Java is fine for a beginner too, to be honest

Cheers,
    Kinson.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I think i should be fine with Java. I don't think it has anything to do with the type of person...

Nick.

P.S

There is a NetBeans book coming out anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

To respond to all previuos posters, who like express personal opinion without any support to facts or anything, just gut feeling:

(1) By my gut feeling you guys do not have wide experience of learning/using multiple languages over many years. I do, and I base my advice on that. Most likely you know only Java.

(2) Keep in mind that first language is harder than second. So if you started with C++, Java may seem easier than that, and you may thing it would be better than C++ - and you are even right

That is exactly the reason why I recommended to start with Python: you can write code and test it in the Python shell after 15 minutes of reading "Instant hacking" - linked from http://learnpydia.pbwiki.com/HowToStart . There is no way how you can execute any java code after 15 minutes of learnig java - even copy-paste helloWorld.java might take you more time due to setting java's Classpath.

OMG! I started again proving my opinions by facts.... and I promised to stick to gut feelings only

BTW I do not intent to change anybody's opinion - I just thinked about it -- especially (2) -- and felt like writing it down. Maybe I should get a blog instead

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

You should get your gut inspected before attacking people you don't know crap about.

Not to mention you are suggesting people learn a *script* language.

Getting Java to run on using an IDE does not take any more time.
    It might take 15 minutes for a python fanboy, but for anyone not trying to make the language look bad, it

Of all the languages I know (Basic, Asm, Pascal, ObjectPascal, Modula2, C/C++/C#, Java (SE,ME,EE)+ Scripting Languages, in about that order, java was not my first language) I would currently recommend Java.

As for books, Bruce Eckel's Thinking In Java is very good and free (please buy the book!)

Java has pros and cons but it will get the OP the furthest uppon a less frustrating path.

@rekahsoft:
    Java was your first language and you teach it? Maybe you should read up what pmasiar posted about people who teach programming languages in the thread he linked.

Short version: people wo teach are the most incompetent programmers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by TheTank View Post
    @rekahsoft:
    Java was your first language and you teach it? Maybe you should read up what pmasiar posted about people who teach programming languages in the thread he linked.

Short version: people wo teach are the most incompetent programmers
    Chill man. I think he meant his Java is "self taught/self learnt".

I don't know about only incompetent people teaching programming. I've had some bad bad programming teachers at college, but I've had one really really smart one too(he wasn't a good teacher, had an eye for the girls, but he was very competent).

Anyways, to each his own, as I always say

Cheers,
    Kinson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast