Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do programmers benefit from open source?

Beans

How do programmers benefit from open source?

There are many benefits of open source for non programmers, such as freedom of choice, peer reviewed code, price, lack of built in spyware, open standards and many others. However, while those benefits also apply to programmers, there are some problems of open source for programmers such as
    • Not getting payed for work
    • Making it more difficult for a small commercial program to make money (as there may be an open source alternative)
    • Reducing available jobs for programmers (as open source programmers are donating there time)
    • Finally, most programmers would make more money on software then they do on it (as they write it, and get paid for their work). This takes away the advantage of the price of open source applications

Taking these points into account, why do programmers donate to open source? I can't think of any other profession that so freely donates time, and intellectual rights for non-charity purposes. For example, I can understand the computers for African kids scheme (http://www.cfas.org.uk/) as it is a worthy charity scheme, and it makes sense to give away software and hardware to them, as they couldn't afford to buy it otherwise But most users of open source can afford to pay for their software. I've never heard of an "open source" music band, or a book writer that just gives away the text for the book.

Also, many open source programs are of such a high standard that they would able to sell even if they had to be paid for. OpenOffice is in many ways better than Microsoft office, and could probably be sold for $50 and still be used by many people.

Please don't take this as a criticism of open source, as I have been using open source software for a few years now, and found it the lack of closed source standard, cost and extensibility very useful. I just want to understands what drives the programmers, who must spend hundreds of hours developing the software, and getting no monetary reward for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How do programmers benefit from open source?

Practice, experience, knowledge.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Well I've done a little PHP coding here and there. I'm most certainly not the best coder out there. And if someone else wants to use parts of my code for something and/or improve on it, then Open Source lets them. So really, it gives the programmer practice and helps a great community. Since it's Open Source, we can all teach other tricks and improve our selves as opposed to a closed source community where money has to flow both ways.

Beans

You're wrong--people do get paid for their work on open source Chec

http://developers.slashdot.org/artic.../03/01/1613253

Who Wrote, and Paid For, 2.6.20

Programming The Almighty Buck Linux

Corbet writes "LWN.net did some data mining through the kernel source repository and put together an analysis of where the patches came from. It turns out that most kernel code is contributed by people paid to do the work — but the list of companies sponsoring kernel development has a surprise or two." The article's conclusion: "The end result of all this is that a number of the widely-expressed opinions about kernel development turn out to be true. There really are thousands of developers — at least, almost 2,000 who put in at least one patch over the course of the last year. Linus Torvalds is directly responsible for a very small portion of the code which makes it into the kernel. Contemporary kernel development is spread out among a broad group of people, most of whom are paid for the work they do. Overall, the picture is of a broad-based and well-supported development community."
    The benefit of the GPL and free software versus simply "open source" (like BSD) means that you will always have freedom, and also ANY CODE CHANGES others make GET BACK TO YOU (means you get to re-implement them for free, others can look through the code for bugs) so there is an equal playing field based on services rather than selling proprietary software based on a lock-in.

And it gets better, because since the code is out there, anyone can provide a service, not just Microsoft or the monoply of the day. A company could hire you to code in a missing feature, because of course money is an incentive even for free software developers. Or they could hire you to support their code long after it has been EOL'd. YOu just can't do that with proprietary software.

BTW some people do make their music and books available for free (some do both and still sell it in a physical form at a book store). Check out "Creative Commons". I know Amarok has an exclusively free music store available.
    Last edited by cowlip; March 5th, 2007 at 06:11 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Well a lot of people think it's fun to program and share what they have done, like myself for example.

Besides that, their is still a large industry around open source. The last number I herd wast from Eben Moglen on the floss weekly podcast, saying that the services around open source is a $40 billion industry.http://www.twit.tv/floss13

So their are most certainly a number of payed open source developers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmus View Post
    So really, it gives the programmer practice and helps a great community. Since it's Open Source, we can all teach other tricks and improve our selves as opposed to a closed source community where money has to flow both ways.
    I didn't consider the educational side of it. However, couldn't the experience also be gained in a commercial environment by getting a job there, and at the same time being paid for it?

Beans

abuntoyoutoo: sometimes people start coding for free on an open source or free software project and they get hired based on that tangible product. I bet it looks great on a resume.

IIRC, Raymond Chen of Microsoft contributed to Linux before getting a job there in 1994.

EDIT: Similar discussion to this here that you may want to check out: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=374923
    Last edited by cowlip; March 5th, 2007 at 07:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

they can look at examples of other programs that do similiar things to help give them ideas

they can completely fork projects if they want

there is a lot more people looking at the code so things that one coder missed, another will find. This increases stability and security

it also gives projects that are open source and long abandoned by the original coder to be resurrected by a person / group of people
    Jabber: markgrandi[at]gmail.com

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by abuntoyoutoo View Post
    I didn't consider the educational side of it. However, couldn't the experience also be gained in a commercial environment by getting a job there, and at the same time being paid for it?
    Well a lot of the time in the IT Community, it takes experience to get a job. And without prior experience, getting a job can be difficult sometimes. So I suppose if an employer looked at a resume and saw that you have done Open Source work, it shows you've got innitiative, desire to work and experience. So I suppose that could be another side to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I don't know how much of the money goes back to the developers, but I know Firefox makes millions of dollars off of its association with Google.

I also know Mark Shuttleworth does pay a core group of Ubuntu developers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast