Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a LoCo Team, and how do I join?

Beans

What is a LoCo Team, and how do I join?

I've been using Ubuntu since the beta for 5.04 and I'd like to contribute to the community. I see a LoCo team for Indiana, and I am a Purdue student, so maybe this is a place where I can chip in a bit?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: What is a LoCo Team, and how do I join?

TelePunk5,

You'll have to talk to the Indiana LoCo team leaders, simon.a.ruiz or schultmc. But beyond the request for the Indiana LoCo forum, there has been no activity from these members. (simon.a.ruiz only has 1 post, the request, and schultmc has none!)

I, too, live in Indiana and would be interested in participating in the IN LoCo team; but so far, there has been nothing from the leaders, not even a hello in the very forum they requested! I am skeptical about the future of this team.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

hey guys!

you can join here https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-us-indiana

Join in, and tear it up

Beans

Heh.

po0f - Yeah, you're right there's been no activity here on the forums, but the fact is that I only JUST joined the forums so that I could request a forum for the Indiana LoCo Team, on the advice of Vorian. The forums were also JUST activated as I was on a long trip.

I understand your skepticism, but just give me the chance to prove it premature.

TelePunk5 - A LoCo (Local Community) Team is simply a local subset of the world-wide Ubuntu community. We are, among other things: a place for Ubuntu enthusiasts to communicate with other geographically-close like-minded people, a place for newcomers to Ubuntu to seek assistance and education.

As Vorian pointed out, you can can join the Launchpad Team formally at the URL he gave. You can interact here in the forums, I personally prefer mailing lists (subscribe to ours at https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-us-in), and we also have an IRC channel #ubuntu-indiana on irc.freenode.net if you prefer real-time chat. Our wiki page is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IndianaTeam

We're just starting out so we need your input on what direction we're going to take. Join in!

Beans

It's good to see some interest in an IN LoCo team! As Simón said, he just set everything up this weekend, so we're brand-spanking new! Unlike Simón, I prefer forums to mailing lists, so I should be around here. I'm fairly new to Ubuntu, but I'm always poking about and breaking things, so there's, oh, a 1 in 100 or so chance that I might be able to help you with something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sorry for the lack of forum activity. I have been active in the #ubuntu-indiana IRC channel on irc.freenode.net and (like Simon) tend to be more active on mailing lists than forums. I do tend to gravitate towards where the activity is so if more people use the forums than the mailing list, I'll be more active here.

Beans

The local team things looks like a cool idea. As there is no Illinois team perhaps I will have to join the Indiana team. After all we can all get along

Beans

hey i just mentioned this in the nrtheastern team forum and suggested that indiana start a team and here we are a couple weeks later!

Beans

Wink Re: What is a LoCo Team, and how do I join?

Quote Originally Posted by Fire View Post
    The local team things looks like a cool idea. As there is no Illinois team perhaps I will have to join the Indiana team. After all we can all get along
    Actually, Rich Johnson (nixternal on IRC) is working on a brand spankin new Illinois Team, check it out at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IllinoisTeam

Quote Originally Posted by wert613 View Post
    hey i just mentioned this in the nrtheastern team forum and suggested that indiana start a team and here we are a couple weeks later!
    Right on, well, I'm glad to have you on board.

When the US Teams project announced itself on the Planet, I thought "Great! Someone else is going to start an Indiana Team!", then after a while of sitting and waiting and nothing happening, I decided that if I wanted one so bad I might just get off my behind and do it. Turns out my fellow Bloomington LUG member Michael (schultmc) had about the same thought process.

I guess all it really took was someone starting it up for the floodgates to open.

Cool!

Beans
    Hidden!

simon.a.ruiz / schultmc,

Sorry if my post seemed negative, I was just basing my statements on my POV (these forums). I rarely use IRC and really don't know how to participate in a mailing list (something I've been meaning to get into, actually). Hopefully, someone will be able to update us forum lurkers on the goings-on with the team.

I don't know if I'd like to join right away; I'd like to hear some ideas tossed around first about what you guys (not just you two, the whole team) would like to accomplish. So please, commence with the ideas!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast