Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Profanity

Beans

Re: Profanity

To repeat , the use of the term God dammed in the in the context is NOT profanity.

Here is some other examples to help you understand this .

Example One

The cut caused a bloody mess on the bench ...Profanity ? No

The man was abloody idiot ... profanity ? yes mild

Example Two

The file I used to sharpen the axe was ******* .. profanity ? No the file name is Flat *******

The Policeman was a ******* ... Profanity ? Yes

I think we can put this issue to sleep now
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    To repeat , the use of the term God dammed in the in the context is NOT profanity.

Here is some other examples to help you understand this .

Example One

The cut caused a bloody mess on the bench ...Profanity ? No

The man was abloody idiot ... profanity ? yes mild

Example Two

The file I used to sharpen the axe was ******* .. profanity ? No the file name is Flat *******

The Policeman was a ******* ... Profanity ? Yes

I think we can put this issue to sleep now

I dont see any difference in the examples. Neither does the profanity filter. You also use a term in the first example with multiple uses. But if what your saying is that profanity must be used towards someone, the rules IMHO dont say that.
    I trust Microsoft as far as I could comfortably spit a dead rat

I'm in my third year at a Lutheran seminary!

Beans

The word in example two , ( I have written it backwards so it wont get filtered ) DRATSAB

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    The word in example two , ( I have written it backwards so it wont get filtered ) DRATSAB
    The terms and way you used the words were well chosen. Mainly because they have crept into the languages with different meanings. There is no different meaning for g** da**. Regardless on what it is used on it still has the same meaning. It is a curse, calling down the damnation of god on something.

Beans

Kilz, I understand your position. However, the use of the word god here is not prohibited while the term used in the post referenced can be taken out of context as a curse word in the context it was used in it is not.

You have your beliefs and thats great. If the use of the offending was used in a religious fashion to abuse a religion we would act accordingly. However it wasn't. There is no need to continue down this road you are going, we understand your position.
    My Blog | Forum Search | Forum Guidelines
    Please don't PM support questions--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ubuntu-geek View Post
    Kilz, I understand your position. However, the use of the word god here is not prohibited while the term used in the post referenced can be taken out of context as a curse word in the context it was used in it is not.

You have your beliefs and thats great. If the use of the offending was used in a religious fashion to abuse a religion we would act accordingly. However it wasn't. There is no need to continue down this road you are going, we understand your position.
    I would not care if the word god was used alone, that isnt the profanity that was posted. The word damn is short for damnation. Calling down the wrath of god to eternal damnation. Coupled with god , it is a curse. I know of no other context when the word god is coupled with it.
    Even if it was of a different context (and I am not conceding that it is) the forum rules do not excuse profanity because of context in the support forums.
    Are you saying it is ok to offend every Christian that may read that term and other posts that may use it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    I would not care if the word god was used alone, that isnt the profanity that was posted. The word damn is short for damnation. Calling down the wrath of god to eternal damnation. Coupled with god , it is a curse. I know of no other context when the word god is coupled with it.
    Even if it was of a different context (and I am not conceding that it is) the forum rules do not excuse profanity because of context in the support forums.
    Are you saying it is ok to offend every Christian that may read that term and other posts that may use it?
    You are completely missing the point. You need to follow what we are saying about context.

Context has a huge impact on meaning in the english Language.

We are certainly NOT going to go through all the rules for Ubuntu Forums and qualify each and everyone to take into account English Language rules and to qualify each and every one to take into account context etc .

You have made your point , we have made our decision , it is time to move on .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12