Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is an Ubuntu only browser possible?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Is an Ubuntu only browser possible?

Hi everybody,

I really like Firefox, but feel that it is increasingly becoming bloated. I was wondering that since it is open source, how difficult would it be to create a fork project that focused on a clean, lightweight browswer that was specifically for Ubuntu - like Camino is for mac OS?

I know iceweasel started up, but this was just a rebranded firefox. This sort of thing is way beyond me, I was just wondering if it was possible and if anybody had the know how and inclination.

cheers,

DAZ

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Re: Is an Ubuntu only browser possible?

Quote Originally Posted by daz4126 View Post
    Hi everybody,

I really like Firefox, but feel that it is increasingly becoming bloated. I was wondering that since it is open source, how difficult would it be to create a fork project that focused on a clean, lightweight browswer that was specifically for Ubuntu - like Camino is for mac OS?

I know iceweasel started up, but this was just a rebranded firefox. This sort of thing is way beyond me, I was just wondering if it was possible and if anybody had the know how and inclination.

cheers,

DAZ
    You might like Opera. It's very feature rich, and very fast. however, it's closed source, so if that's not your thing you should shy away from it.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings"- Optimus Prime

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You might like Opera. It's very feature rich, and very fast. however, it's closed source, so if that's not your thing you should shy away from it.
    He said clean and lightweight, and you suggested the exact opposite.

OP, look into Swiftfox.

Beans

i supose it's possible, but it's kind of useless. but an ubuntu only browser would not only be a little against the ubuntu philosophy, but it would be like reinventing the wheel. firefox is the best browser out there, so why should we invent another one.
    a gui only for ubuntu... now that would be something else. but something better than the ubuntu themes you get on addons.mozilla.com.
    plus, now with the release of firefox 2.0.2 you must have seen that it's much faster in terms of cpu resources.

Beans
    Distro

I will check out swiftfox, but from what I've seen it is just an optimised version of firefox. I was thinking more ambitious, proper code fork with no going back. something that was clean to look at as well - hardly any menu bars and buttons and fully integrated into gtk. Something that gnome ubuntu users could call their own, like konqueror in kde. Is this just too much?

DAZ

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mykalreborn View Post
    i supose it's possible, but it's kind of useless. but an ubuntu only browser would not only be a little against the ubuntu philosophy, but it would be like reinventing the wheel.
    I didn't mean literally ubuntu only. More that is was designed specifically to integrate into ubuntu and for ubuntu. Obviously it could and should be available for any distro or os.

DAZ

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You might try Epiphany.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daz4126 View Post
    I will check out swiftfox, but from what I've seen it is just an optimised version of firefox. I was thinking more ambitious, proper code fork with no going back. something that was clean to look at as well - hardly any menu bars and buttons and fully integrated into gtk. Something that gnome ubuntu users could call their own, like konqueror in kde. Is this just too much?

DAZ
    It sounds to me like you're looking for something that exists: Epiphany.
    Previously known as 23meg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    You might try Epiphany.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install epiphany-browser
    or Kazehakase

Beans

Its possible, but it would not fit the philosophy of ubuntu.
    I mean someone could build a modded mozilla or konqueror very easy and put it in the spotlight, but I think that we would share this modded browser.
    Me personally I really like to see a modded konqueror for ubuntu, I like konq but hate having to install KDE to get it working.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast