Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why you should use Ubuntu GNU/Linux, instead of proprietary OS/software

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Why you should use Ubuntu GNU/Linux, instead of proprietary OS/software

Quote Originally Posted by montgoej View Post
    In the book "Free As In Freedom", which is a biography of Stallman it explains why. I don't remember his exact reasoning, but it goes pretty far back. If I can dig out my copy of "The Open CD", which has the book on it, I'll look it up. I admit though, the whole "Impeach God" thing is gonna give people another reason not to use GNU/Linux, no matter what religion, because it can offend many people.
    ~Jordan Montgomery
    The open CD has his book on it?
    You mean this CD? http://www.theopencd.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yeah, that's the one. It's also got a book of essays and "The Cathedral and the Bazaar" by Eric Raymond on it. I haven't read it yet, but I'd like to if I can find the CD.
    ~Jordan Montgomery

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

OK so I found the biography on line. http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ look at ch.4
    Perhaps I'm missing something (which is possible and even likely) but I still don't see what his "impeach God" viewpoints have to do with the world of software freedom. It seems like a "pet" cause for him that he likes to mix into all areas of life.

excerpt from "free as in freedom" by Richard Stallman (I hope he doesn't mind)
    Although the dancing and hacking did little to improve Stallman's social standing, they helped him overcome the feelings of weirdness that had clouded his pre-Harvard life. Instead of lamenting his weird nature, Stallman found ways to celebrate it. In 1977, while attending a science-fiction convention, he came across a woman selling custom-made buttons. Excited, Stallman ordered a button with the words "Impeach God" emblazoned on it.

For Stallman, the "Impeach God" message worked on many levels. An atheist since early childhood, Stallman first saw it as an attempt to set a "second front" in the ongoing debate on religion. "Back then everybody was arguing about God being dead or alive," Stallman recalls. "`Impeach God' approached the subject of God from a completely different viewpoint. If God was so powerful as to create the world and yet do nothing to correct the problems in it, why would we ever want to worship such a God? Wouldn't it be better to put him on trial?"

Although I'm sure we could discuss the merits of his religious views I would rather stick to the world of software. Whether Jew, Christian, Muslim, Atheist or whatever it is part of all our lives.
    I myself am a Christian and while I sympathize with his beliefs I don't agree with him. What else is new? People disagreeing over beliefs of God certainly not.
    I would like to meet him and get to know him.
    I do wish he wouldn't publicize his views so overtly on first glance. I'm sure over 80% of the worlds population "believes" in God at some level. Meaning he will potentially alienate 80% of the world without need.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I agree. I myself am Christian, but even if I were say even and Atheist, I wouldn't want someone who is a pretty big part of a movement, such as the Free Software movement, doing something that would alienate that many people, or give them the wrong impression of those involved with the movement. It would be as if I were say, the head of the Free Cheese movement, trying to solve world hunger by giving out cheese, and I had a "Kill the Dalai Lama" sign or an "Impeach Muhammad" sticker on.
    ~Jordan Montgomery

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well I guess we need to accept him warts and all. As for me I'm completely wartless no faults at all!!
    At least if I had a dog and you were to ask only him.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by montgoej View Post
    I agree. I myself am Christian, but even if I were say even and Atheist, I wouldn't want someone who is a pretty big part of a movement, such as the Free Software movement, doing something that would alienate that many people, or give them the wrong impression of those involved with the movement. It would be as if I were say, the head of the Free Cheese movement, trying to solve world hunger by giving out cheese, and I had a "Kill the Dalai Lama" sign or an "Impeach Muhammad" sticker on.
    ~Jordan Montgomery
    Your analogies are like mine, your right except that it's even worse. He isn't just singling out one group of people. God is pretty generic, and is transferable to every religious group, not just Muslims, or Christians or Jews, but everyone who believes in God.

Like I said though, let's not loose our focus. Ultimately his views on God don't matter to the rest of his teaching about Free software. If anything they give us something to talk about.

Beans

Steve,

Your one of the most open minded people I've not met. The world needs more people like you. The lime helmet just has to go, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SonicSteve View Post
    OK so I found the biography on line. http://www.oreilly.com/openbook/freedom/ look at ch.4
    Perhaps I'm missing something (which is possible and even likely) but I still don't see what his "impeach God" viewpoints have to do with the world of software freedom. It seems like a "pet" cause for him that he likes to mix into all areas of life.

excerpt from "free as in freedom" by Richard Stallman (I hope he doesn't mind)

Although I'm sure we could discuss the merits of his religious views I would rather stick to the world of software. Whether Jew, Christian, Muslim, Atheist or whatever it is part of all our lives.
    I myself am a Christian and while I sympathize with his beliefs I don't agree with him. What else is new? People disagreeing over beliefs of God certainly not.
    I would like to meet him and get to know him.
    I do wish he wouldn't publicize his views so overtly on first glance. I'm sure over 80% of the worlds population "believes" in God at some level. Meaning he will potentially alienate 80% of the world without need.

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

As a poster-child for non-militant atheism, I'm proud to be part of a group that doesn't immediately judge a person based on their beliefs, but rather weighs the merits of his or her words and actions. If more people were like this, an "Impeach God" button would never be a PR issue.

It's not in particularly bad taste, just not something a public figure for such a movement should sport. This goes back to most people judging based on beliefs or membership of some organization X (In this case, religion). Studies released have shown that Atheists are the most hated minority in the country. It's a sad time when President George HW Bush can say that Atheists are not citizens and suffer not backlash.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Zuph View Post
    As a poster-child for non-militant atheism, I'm proud to be part of a group that doesn't immediately judge a person based on their beliefs, but rather weighs the merits of his or her words and actions. If more people were like this, an "Impeach God" button would never be a PR issue.

It's not in particularly bad taste, just not something a public figure for such a movement should sport. This goes back to most people judging based on beliefs or membership of some organization X (In this case, religion). Studies released have shown that Atheists are the most hated minority in the country. It's a sad time when President George HW Bush can say that Atheists are not citizens and suffer not backlash.
    I can see where you are coming from about not making a judgement based on beliefs, but it is a natural human reaction for people to judge people and generalize based on this. It's how we as human beings cope with the wide variety of situations that can occur in our lifetimes and make decisions based on observation. I think that if Mr. Stallman wanted to be judged based on his actions and not on his beliefs then his actions should be given the focus over his beliefs. I think he does an excellent job as a public speaker, but most people are not good objective listeners and will judge him based on his beliefs and what he makes explicitly known.
    Vision without action is a daydream.
    Action without vision is a nightmare.