Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why you should use Ubuntu GNU/Linux, instead of proprietary OS/software

Beans

Re: Why you should use Ubuntu GNU/Linux, instead of proprietary OS/software

UPDATE (3/17/07): "NSA, Microsoft Worked Together on Windows Vista Security" http://www.cio.com/blog_view.html?CID=28077

Give me a break with the Microsoft propaganda machine! What exactly does the worlds greatest "spy" agency have to offer the worlds prominent commercial operating system developer, other than ways to obfuscate their obligatory back door mechanism from the public, while purporting to be reviewing aspects of their computer security model?

If Microsoft was really "concerned" about their new Vista security model, the way to address it would be to release the source code for its operating system under a restricted license, and have the worlds best and brightest computer security experts review and critique it. One can argue the CIA employs the best and brightest, but there will always be an issue of public trust when people do not already trust their elected leaders, and those who pull their puppet strings.

The worn out mantra "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about.", doesn't hold water post 1913, with the creation of the Federal Reserve Bank (now changed to System), which is neither Federal, a bank, or holds any reserves; it is centralization of the worlds most powerful; period. How ironic is it that Microsoft and the CIA hides everything, but expects the full trust of the public?

Don't get me wrong, we need an organization like the CIA, but it has to be kept in check somehow. Case in point: "Report Finds FBI Misused PATRIOT Act Powers":
    http://www.epic.org/

"The Department of Justice Inspector General has determined that the FBI abused the National Security Letter authority established by the Patriot Act. With a National Security Lettter, the FBI can demand information from companies and individuals without any court approval. The Inspector General found unreported violations of law in 22% of the cases examined and also that the FBI did not report the actual number of Security Letters to Congress as required by law. The FBI acknowledged today that there has been "inadequate auditing and oversight" of National Security Letter authority. In 2006, EPIC recommended that Congress investigate abuses in FBI intelligence gathering and recommended improved reporting requirements for National Security Letters. More information at EPIC Patriot Act page. (Mar. 9)"

http://www.epic.org/privacy/terrorism/usapatriot/

Through the process of selective enforcement of laws, abuse of power is and will be used to silence and/or destroy political enemies, even though political dissenters may have done nothing technically illegal. If they haven't, it can be fabricated, as in many IRS 'tax fraud' cases (see below). If you oppose what those with power (the World Bank) are doing, the system will be used against you if your efforts amount to more than a net zero effect. If you don't believe any of this hogwash, then take a gander at these:

America, from Freedom to Fascism: http://www.freedomtofascism.com/
    We the People Foundation: http://www.givemeliberty.org/

Last edited by JarG0n; March 17th, 2007 at 06:51 PM.

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well...NSA worked with Microsoft for XP security too(NSAKEY)... although, NSA worked with Linux security in SELinux...
    ~Jordan Montgomery

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by montgoej View Post
    Well...NSA worked with Microsoft for XP security too(NSAKEY)... although, NSA worked with Linux security in SELinux...
    ~Jordan Montgomery
    No surprise there really. I think the difference with Vista is that the NSA worked with Microsoft prior to the release. I don't see why any of this is news, though. If SELinux is open source so the public can view it, I think the NSA working on it is fantastic!! But as far as this thread goes, most people don't want 'big brother inside' a closed source system. The trust just isn't there.

Heck, with Ubuntu, I may even be willing to start buying Intel CPUs again!

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Heck, with Ubuntu, I may even be willing to start buying Intel CPUs again!
    When it comes to processors, I say intel all the way, no matter what operating system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

For those who are interested in learning more about the origins of GNU, Linux, and Open Source software, I'd like to recommend these two references. The first is a book by Glyn Moody called "Rebel Code : Inside Linux and the Open Source Revolution". It is copyright 2001, may be out of print, but should be available through your public library.

The second is a documentary DVD called "Revolution OS" by J.T.S. Moore. It actually comes on 2 DVDs, and has lots of interviews with Stallman, Linus, and other pioneers of the open source movement. Although I got mine through Amazon, I believe that Netflix has it available in their catalog.

Ubuntu probably wasn't even conceived at the time these references were produced, but they give a wonderful background to how we got to where we are today. I highly recommend them.

Red

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

That sounds like something I should watch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Condoulo View Post
    That sounds like something I should watch.
    Ahh, well you could also read the book. A quick check at Amazon shows that they still carry a paperback edition. I was lucky enough to buy the hardback several years ago when I was first trying out Linux.

But seriously, these two references are a quick way to "catch up" on your GNU/Linux/Open Source history lesson, if you care for such a thing.

Red

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by redoscar3 View Post
    Ahh, well you could also read the book. A quick check at Amazon shows that they still carry a paperback edition. I was lucky enough to buy the hardback several years ago when I was first trying out Linux.

But seriously, these two references are a quick way to "catch up" on your GNU/Linux/Open Source history lesson, if you care for such a thing.

Red
    By the way, you can also get the DVD from Blockbuster Online. They have a free two-week trial (sometimes a 1 month trial, if you can find a coupon), and it just shipped out to me today.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very interesting, I now understand much more about Gnu, Linux, and why it's important to think of them separately and together.

I do wish that he wasn't so overtly anti God, he will cause people to reject him by this alone even though much of what he says needs to be heard. A lesson in life is do not make enemies unnecessarily. I do not understand why he wears the "impeach God" button on his chest. Can anyone explain why he feels that God's impeachment either figuratively, symbolically, or literally has anything to do with his crusade?

He has given me much to think about.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

In the book "Free As In Freedom", which is a biography of Stallman it explains why. I don't remember his exact reasoning, but it goes pretty far back. If I can dig out my copy of "The Open CD", which has the book on it, I'll look it up. I admit though, the whole "Impeach God" thing is gonna give people another reason not to use GNU/Linux, no matter what religion, because it can offend many people.
    ~Jordan Montgomery

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast