Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: [REPO] Upgrade your EDGY to Xorg 7.2 - a new X server for "stable" version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Re: [REPO] Upgrade your EDGY to Xorg 7.2 - a new X server for "stable" version

Quote Originally Posted by aluminum87 View Post
    I'll have to look into that, but is there any way for you to host the modified source files, or to go into any detail about how you managed to edit the versions to avoid conflict? I could compile it myself and try it out if you were able to do that.
    This is how I did this...

First of all you should edit your /etc/sources.list file adding this source repository:
    Code:
    # Ubuntu feisty main and universe sources repository
    deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty main universe
    Then do a sudo sudo apt-get update and make a working dir and save and chmod +x this script into it (I called it "repackage") editing the optional fields:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

packager="YourName"
    packager_email="name@company.net"
    version_sufix="~YourSufix0"

distro="$(cat "/etc/lsb-release"|grep "DISTRIB_CODENAME" | cut -d'=' -f2)"; #edgy

for i in ./*; do 
        if ( [ -d "$i" ] && [ -d "$i/debian" ] && [ ! -f "$i/.done" ] ); then 
            cd $i; 
            old_version=$(dpkg-parsechangelog|grep --max-count=1 -F "Version:" |cut -d" " -f2);
            source_package=$(dpkg-parsechangelog|grep --max-count=1 -F "Source:" |cut -d" " -f2);
            package=$(grep -F -m1 "Package:" "./debian/control" | cut -d" " -f2)
            #version=$(expr "$version" : "\([^-]\+\).*"); # edit version as you want
            #version=$(expr "$old_version" : "\([0-9:.-]\+\).*"); # edit version as you want
            version=$(echo $old_version | sed "s/ubuntu/$distro/")
            #version=$old_version
            #if TODO check installed version and autoselect version type
            #echo -e "$old_version -> $version";
            mv "./debian/changelog" /tmp;
            echo -e "$source_package (${version}${version_sufix}) $distro; urgency=low\n\n  * Repackaged under $distro by  $packager\n\n -- $packager <$packager_email>  $(LANG=en_US date +"%a, %d %b %Y %T %z")\n" > "./debian/changelog"
            cat "/tmp/changelog" >> "./debian/changelog"
            if debuild binary; then
                debuild clean
                mv "/tmp/changelog" "./debian/changelog" -v
                echo "" > "./.done"
            else
                mv "/tmp/changelog" "./debian/changelog" -v
            fi
            cd ..;
        fi;
    done

rm -f /tmp/changelog
    So you can run these commands:
    Code:
    apt-get source libdrm x11proto-damage x11proto-gl x11proto-randr x11proto-input xkeyboard-config
    sudo chown $USER:$USER ./ -R #maybe not needed; I won't repeat it.
    ./repackage
    Install the *.deb files you've just made; then
    Code:
    apt-get source mesa
    ./repackage
    Again, install the mesa .debs you've done (or just the *-dev ones); consider that you could have problems installing both the libosmesa* files an the glx ones; most important is mesa-swx11-source
    Code:
    apt-get source xorg-server
    ./repackage
    Install the debs file you've made (the *-dev ones are mostly important too):
    Code:
    apt-get source wacom-tools xorg xserver-xorg-input-acecad xserver-xorg-input-aiptek xserver-xorg-input-calcomp xserver-xorg-input-citron xserver-xorg-input-digitaledge xserver-xorg-input-dmc xserver-xorg-input-dynapro xserver-xorg-input-elo2300 xserver-xorg-input-elographics xserver-xorg-input-evdev xserver-xorg-input-fpit xserver-xorg-input-hyperpen xserver-xorg-input-jamstudio xserver-xorg-input-joystick xserver-xorg-input-keyboard xserver-xorg-input-magellan xserver-xorg-input-magictouch xserver-xorg-input-microtouch xserver-xorg-input-mouse xserver-xorg-input-mutouch xserver-xorg-input-palmax xserver-xorg-input-penmount xserver-xorg-input-spaceorb xserver-xorg-input-summa xserver-xorg-input-synaptics xserver-xorg-input-tek4957 xserver-xorg-input-ur98 xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse xserver-xorg-input-void xserver-xorg-video-amd xserver-xorg-video-apm xserver-xorg-video-ark xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-chips xserver-xorg-video-cirrus xserver-xorg-video-cyrix xserver-xorg-video-dummy xserver-xorg-video-fbdev xserver-xorg-video-glint xserver-xorg-video-i128 xserver-xorg-video-i740 xserver-xorg-video-i810 xserver-xorg-video-i810-modesetting xserver-xorg-video-imstt xserver-xorg-video-mga xserver-xorg-video-neomagic xserver-xorg-video-newport xserver-xorg-video-nsc xserver-xorg-video-nv xserver-xorg-video-rendition xserver-xorg-video-s3 xserver-xorg-video-s3virge xserver-xorg-video-savage xserver-xorg-video-siliconmotion xserver-xorg-video-sis xserver-xorg-video-sisusb xserver-xorg-video-tdfx xserver-xorg-video-tga xserver-xorg-video-trident xserver-xorg-video-tseng xserver-xorg-video-unichrome xserver-xorg-video-v4l xserver-xorg-video-vesa xserver-xorg-video-vga xserver-xorg-video-vga xserver-xorg-video-via xserver-xorg-video-via xserver-xorg-video-vmware xserver-xorg-video-voodoo
    ./repackage
    Install the needed packages you've made and that's all
    Last edited by Treviño; March 19th, 2007 at 11:42 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: [REPO] Upgrade your EDGY to Xorg 7.2 - a new X server for "stable" version

Well... I guess a newb shouldn't try to hang with the big boys - advanced users.

I followed instructions for beryl and xorg 7.2 now my edgy 6.10 and beryl don't work.
    I can't even get into a working desktop, at best I seem to hang with the beryl splash page.
    Prior to this event, beryl was making my windows (ie. beryl manager settings, opera favorites, any new window) not load the contents in a visible manner, sometimes I could get it back by minimizing and maximizing the window. It is very glitchy.

I have a laptop by acer travel mate 800LCi 1.3ghz with an ATI radeon 9000 3d graphic card/64mb

Well I don't know what I am doing well enough to get back into my ubuntu.
    I fortunately can get online with my evdo card, but that is by starting up in win xp, I have no clue how to get the evdo working (I am travelling) for a new ubuntu install, but even before that step I am worried I may overwrite the wrong partition with the live cd just to get back to a functioning ubuntu edgy 6.10 (I think it should overwrite the /et3? partition and not the fat32). Any help would be great, I don't think I am ready to try beryl just to have a cool cube flipping animation (it was cool while it worked). I strongly suspect some kind of memory leak was happening, but don't know how to prove that now. The thing worked well at first and kept getting slower and buggy until now it doesn't work at all.

What do you guys recommend me to do?
    Can I fix this from a safe mode with some command lines or something, I probably won't have internet access in linux however.

Best regards, this is a major learning experience.

-Steve (shibby73)
    smorrea-nospam-@stansgnosticus.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

hmm on the the recent updates cause X to hardlock, its kinda frustrating... >_<

when I try to go back, I get, this;
    Code:
      libgl1-mesa-dev: Conflicts: libgl-dev
      libgl1-mesa-glx: Conflicts: libgl1
      libgl1-mesa-swx11: Conflicts: libgl1
      libgl1-mesa-swx11-dev: Conflicts: libgl-dev
    breakage, lol....
    Last edited by spockrock; March 20th, 2007 at 05:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wow, that's really thorough, thanks for the effort, Treviño. If I could just ask you for one clarification, though - which are the strings I should edit, and what version information should I replace them with?

Also, I noticed that on your repository website, some of the files are versioned with ~3v1ubuntu0 and others with ~3v1ubuntu2, how should I compensate for this?

Again, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

also, one more thing - is there a way to resolve dependency issues for the script you provided? I think I managed to track down all the development-related packages it references, but just in case there's something less obvious...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Upgrade to Xorg 7.2 went smoothly, or so it seemed. There is, however, one problem: I can only use Metacity at the moment since Beryl acts strange (windows/menus show just the borders, but no content).

I tried disabling DRI but that just gives me the white screen (which I can't resolve by running beryl --use-copy).

I use Beryl 0.1.1 from the beerorkid repos and my xorg.conf looks like this (I left out alll the keyboard/tablet stuff):

Code:
    Section "Files"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/cyrillic"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi"
    	FontPath	"/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc"
    	# path to defoma fonts
    	FontPath	"/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType"
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    	Load	"bitmap"
    	Load	"ddc"
    	Load	"extmod"
    	Load	"freetype"
    	Load	"glx"
    	Load	"int10"
    	Load	"vbe"
    	Load 	"dri"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"ATI Technologies, Inc. RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]"
    	Driver		"ati"
    	BusID		"PCI:1:0:0"
    	Option          "AGPMode"       "8"
            Option          "AccelMethod"   "XAA"
            Option          "ColorTiling"   "on"
    	Option          "TripleBuffer" 	"true"
    	Option		"UseFBDev"	"true"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"SyncMaster"
    	Option		"DPMS"
    	DisplaySize	338	270	# 1280x1024 96dpi
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Device		"ATI Technologies, Inc. RV280 [Radeon 9200 PRO]"
    	Monitor		"SyncMaster"
    	DefaultDepth	24
    	SubSection "Display"
    		Depth		24
    		Modes		"1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    	EndSubSection
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    	Identifier	"Default Layout"
    	Screen		"Default Screen"
    	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
    	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
    	InputDevice     "stylus"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "cursor"	"SendCoreEvents"
    	InputDevice     "eraser"	"SendCoreEvents"
    EndSection

Section "DRI"
    	Mode	0666
    EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    	Option "Composite" "on"
    EndSection
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi

Some problems to get latest update
    And if you are intrested I get attached message always visiting your page.
    http://3v1n0.tuxfamily.org/dists/edg...7.2/index.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unresponsive script.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	27894  
    Last edited by Waappu; March 20th, 2007 at 12:57 PM.
    Regards,
    Jari

Beans
    Distro

First of all I fixed all the problems related to the latest mesa update, my upload-script had some problems

Then, aluminium87: you should edit the first three lines of the script with your values (the ones you want), I haven't manage a build dependency management but you can do it manually with few problems I think. The different version tag like ~3v1ubuntu0 or ~3v1ubuntu2 means a rebuild against newer sources or with my own patches...

Incie83, try to upgrade to beryl 0.2 or 0.3svn from my beryl-svn repo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Hi Trevino, Curious, did the latest Mesa update address the EXA bugs some of us have been seeing or is that specific to x.org?

Beans
    Distro

I've no tested about EXA, but I don't think that latest update fixes the bugs related to it (checking changelog and patches); there are no news nor in launchpad and in freedesktop's bugzilla about it...
    Just waiting :/

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast