Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [REPO] Upgrade your EDGY to Xorg 7.2 - a new X server for "stable" version

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: [REPO & GUIDE] Upgrade your EDGY to Xorg 7.2 - a new X server for "stable" versio

This has made a massive difference on my i810. I'm using a third less RAM to run ubuntu too.

thx
    quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur - Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: [REPO] Upgrade your EDGY to Xorg 7.2 - a new X server for "stable" version

worked great for me, no problems whatsoever. However I can't see any obvious improvements either to the general running of my system.

Beryl runs the same on my Nvidia GF 7600. I was hoping for something a little more dramatic considering some of the posts here.

I was also kind of hoping that it would solve my bluetooth issues that have plagued me ever since I made the switch from Windows to Linux, but nothing new there.

Thanks for the update though, it worked great.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Incie83 View Post
    Upgrade to Xorg 7.2 went smoothly, or so it seemed. There is, however, one problem: I can only use Metacity at the moment since Beryl acts strange (windows/menus show just the borders, but no content).

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Same problem here, but I use your repo for Beryl (0.2.0svn)
    Now I can only Metacity.
    It Seems with Beryl, Xorg isn't able to display contents

Ah, performance doesn't seem to be improved : splash-page of Beryl (to say one) is choppy and slow.

I have a P4 2500 and a ATI 9600Pro
    I explicitly told to xorg.conf to use XAA instead of EXA (there was written nowhere, but just in case ...)

Beans

Question Re: [REPO] Upgrade your EDGY to Xorg 7.2 - a new X server for "stable" version

Hi,
    works great, stability has greatly improved. However, there are some graphical bugs with the i810 1.7.4 driver you provide. Would it be possible for you, to provide the latest intel driver (version 1.9.92) as a package as well, since it seems to have merged with the i810 now (git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel) ?

In any case, thanks for your great work on your repository, I really appreciate it!
    Regards, T.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Borked my system.

Upgrade ran OK without any errors. Then after reboot, got GDM login screen OK, then after entering the login credentials the desktop loads, but that's as far as it gets.

Nautilus loads OK but gnome-panel is just a blank bar. No apps. can be launched. ALT-F1, ALT-F2 fails.

Attempted to disable DRI etc. in xorg.conf but still same results, no go.

I'm running Edgy 6.10 with AiGLX on OSS ATI drivers (as packaged with Edgy) on my Dell C640 with M7 Radeon 7500. Using Beryl 0.2.

Tried all suggestions in this thread, with no success.

Attempted to roll back (downgrade) to 7.1.1, also got the dependency issues as mentioned earlier on in this thread. So no joy there.

No errors reported in Xorg.0.log

Last resort - re-installing ...

MY ADVICE: IF IT AINT BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

Beans

The dependency issue (or at least what i understand from it ... that is, by far, a real clue to know if i understood it well ) is relatively (maybe) easy to solve :
    when synaptic tells you that is impossible to downgrade due to dependency issue, just work on the libgl-mesa-dri e libgl-mesa-glx, don't touch the devel ones.
    If you let the system downgrade that one and downgrade mesa-common, xorg and xserver (that is a HARD WORK, cause you have first to remove xorg, ubuntu-desktop and some other that i don't remember ... my fault, sorry ... and then reinstall the version you need BEFORE rebotting, otherwise you're stuck with reinstall completely), then, after rebooting, you should be able to remove the devel version and reinstall the current devel ones.
    I said you should, cause it worked for me, but I am not sure it could work for everyone.
    Last edited by Ehol; March 23rd, 2007 at 11:15 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by timfelgentreff View Post
    Hi,
    works great, stability has greatly improved. However, there are some graphical bugs with the i810 1.7.4 driver you provide. Would it be possible for you, to provide the latest intel driver (version 1.9.92) as a package as well, since it seems to have merged with the i810 now (git://anongit.freedesktop.org/git/xorg/driver/xf86-video-intel) ?

In any case, thanks for your great work on your repository, I really appreciate it!
    Regards, T.
    I've tried to package that, but it requires Xorg 7.3 that it's actually in GIT, so it's not easy to provide it... Maybe I could upgrade the existent intel packages but I'd prefer to put on repo the same version of the stanard ubuntu feisty...

I'll release when xorg-7.3 will be out and I'll package it for feisty

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm using ATI radeon 9550 & AIGLX with open drivers.
    Upgrading to xorg 7.2 slowed my system down (even metacity) beyond usability. Downgrading didnt work due to dependency problems.
    Thankfully, i had done an extensive backup, and was able to restore my system.
    Beryl is quite usable under 7.1
    I STRONGLY SUGGEST A SYSTEM BACKUP BEFORE TRYING

note: damn these ati cards, i'll switch to nvidia as soon as i get the chance

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you read the warning about EXA?

Beans

The newest update is not downloading correctly for me, it give me this error:

Code:
    95% [11 Packages bzip2 0] [9 Release 38789/50.9kB 76%] [Connecting to debs.mich
    bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly;
            perhaps it is corrupted?  *Possible* reason follows.
    bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device
            Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
    You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
    data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

Err http://download.tuxfamily.org edgy/xorg-7.2 Packages                       
      Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)
    and this:

Code:
    Failed to fetch http://download.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/dists/edgy/xorg-7.2/binary-i386/Packages.bz2  Sub-process bzip2 returned an error code (2)

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast